Email attachments not sending - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Email attachments not sending

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class7 days registered250 Experience Points
    John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H's Avatar
    Level

Email attachments not sending

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with this one?

I have Yahoo mail app v.1.3.10 installed (pre advert bar) which works mostly Ok but can be a bit laggy on occasion - still better than the later advert bar versions!

I find it won't send attachments with emails - these can be any attachment including images. They seem to attach Ok but sit in the outbox and don't go anywhere, so I eventually have to delete them. Emails work in general Ok - it's just ones with files that are a problem. I can forward emails with attached files Ok and can download the attachments but I presume the attachment when being forwarded doesn't touch my phone.

If I use the Yahoo webmail version via browser it prompts me to use another app to select the file (tried Astro, FileExpert, RootExplorer etc), which once selected returns me to the Yahoo app but it fails to attach saying "file not specified".

If I use another webmail with a different provider it too won't attach files.

However, I've found that if I use my QuickPic image viewer as the method of selecting files (which must be an image obviously) then it does attach and does send the file.

There must be something peculiar about different apps permissions or linking with email clients I'm thinking. Can anyone help? Thanks

I have an SGS I9000 with Darky's ROM 9.5 Extreme edition, so 2.2.1 Android
    I've got a headache and eyestrain ... one day all will be fixed!

SGS I9000 with Darky's ROM 9.5 still until they get call recording on a newer ROM

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class7 days registered250 Experience Points
    John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H's Avatar
    Level
    Nobody? Could it be the file's location? I feel a quick experiment coming on

SGS I9000 with Darky's ROM 9.5 still until they get call recording on a newer ROM

Achievements:
    Level
    Nobody?

I tried a quick experiment:

Yahoo app - (native selection only) ext SD card where photo's are - failed

Webmail - (FileExpert selection) ext SD card where photo's are - failed

Webmail - (QuickPic selection) ext SD card where photo's are - pass!

So, it seems to be something to do with the app's ability to select files. I don't think it's an external SD card issue as the same failures occur from internal memory locations. Can someone shed some light?

Related problem: http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/show...9881#post69881
    Last edited by John-H; 12-06-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    Stumped2013 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Lol. Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have the same problem and no-one seems to have a clue about it!
    We use the standard email client on the Samsung Galaxy with a VPN to conenct to work exchange in work. Everything works fine until trying to send an attachment. Receiving is fine.
    I though for a while it may be related to the VPN but it works on other phones.
    Let me knopw if you ever got it sorted!

Achievements:
    Level
    It seems to be something to do with the Android operating system file permissions granted to applications. I found that the Gmail application works ok for sending attachments of quite a few file document types. I presume this has been written with the correct permissions and apps like Quick pic have too but only for sending pictures. When it doesn't work it's because the app hasn't been written properly with the correct permissions or there is a mismatch with the selecting app. I wonder if it's possible to relax the permission requirements globally?
    Last edited by John-H; 02-21-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Rits is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi Guys:
    I have a Note 2 and I have the same problem, I cant send photos, files anything attached neither forward a email with attachments with my work email added with Microsoft Activesync, but emails with gmail have no problem, my IT department still cant find the solution, please let me know if you find the solution.
    Thank you in advance.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    sassyem is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I cannot send attachments with the email app. It fails immediately. When I go to the outbox, it is sitting there, and when I open it says "Sending failed - Server error". I can receive emails with attachments .

I have yahoo mail and K9 mail on my phone, the K9 mail reads the same account that the stock email app reads. I can send emails with attachments fine with both of these. Can't figure out what the issue is.

Achievements:
    Level
    I've not come across a way of relaxing the global permissions so the only way round it I know is to use an app that supports the required permissions. Gmail for example supports lots of file types but the stock email app doesn't. My version of Yahoo is an older one to avoid the banner ads that appeared in the later versions and it doesn't support certain files. I get the same issue with the email sitting in the outbox and reported error. Possibly that's a reason to upgrade and put up with the banners?

You can get the same issue with the stock browser when using webmail - then it depends on the stock browser's permission set.

I've heard of some people having upgraded their operating system then finding that previos apps they had purchased and worked fine then stopped working because Google had changed the permission classes, rendering older apps dysfunctional.

In all these cases the apps need to be re-written and upgraded for things to work - unless there is a hack that gets round the problem by relaxing the permissions required.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    writerinvegas is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I know the thread is older but others might still have the problem. I solved it by removing the battery of my S2, inserting it after 10 seconds. Suddenly all the emails I sent via my AOL account to my GMAIL account arrived at their destination--a day late but there. I'm sure there's a more technical solve but this one worked.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Or you could use a mail app like K9 mail, haven't suffered any problems so far.
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information