Thread: Cannot send or receive MMS

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    MizzGee is on a distinguished road
    Level

Cannot send or receive MMS

This problem has been nagging me for a while now, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. Before this morning, every time I would try to send a picture in a text message it would just sit there, 'sending' but never send. It was the same story when someone would send me a picture. It would just sit there 'downloading' but never actually download. This morning I tried looking online for a solution and tried following the instructions I found here for the multimedia message settings. Now when I try to send a picture (or any attachment) I get a message at the bottom of my screen that reads "Currently unable to send your message. It will be sent when service becomes available." The same basic thing happens when someone sends me an MMS, "Currently unable to download. Please try again later".

My phone is currently connected via wifi, but I also have packet data activated and I have auto-retrieve on..what am I missing? I am new to smart phones, but this is something that was happening with my old samsung corby as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    First of all you need the correct settings in Mobile Networks (Access point Names) from your Network Operator to send and receive MMS.
    You also need funding to pay for them as MMS are not usually included in SMS allowances.

If both of those are covered, there does seem to be an android problem if WiFi and use packet data (Mobile data) are selected.
    Try de selecting one and try again.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    Try leaving user name and password blank and reboot the phone after saving and applying the settings. Sometimes also helps to remove SIM for a couple of mins.
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    First, thank you so much for the quick replies! I tried posting this same question in another forum yesterday morning, and so far have had 52 views and 0 replies.

I found the APN settings here in the last post, at the bottom of the page. The settings listed there are the same as is listed in the default APN that came pre-listed on the phone. One question I do have, though, that APN listed and selected is for an LTE network. There is no LTE network In my area. 99% of the time I’m connected via Wi-Fi, with data turned off. If I do connect via data, it’s 4G. Does that make any sort of difference? Also, the phone has two APNs pre-listed. The one selected is LTE Internet, and the other is LTE Tethering. What’s the difference?

Greenman, you mentioned that I need funding to send MMS. My son and I have a reasonably new family plan with this carrier, and he's always been able to send and receive MMS, so I'm assuming that's not the problem.

RichH, I’ve reset all the APN settings back to default, thinking I should start from scratch. Now that I’ve done that, I’m unable to edit the default APN to remove the username and password.

I've read in other places that sometimes you have to start by sending yourself an MMS to make it work. After removing the battery and sim card for two minutes, I tried doing that via Wi-Fi, data, Wi-Fi with data packet on and off, and every time the picture just sits there. Seems the only things that’s changed since resetting the APN settings, is that even though things still won’t send, I’m no longer getting the error messages at the bottom.

*Edit: Just to be extra sure, I copied the exact APN settings from my son's phone into mine, and it still didn't work
    Last edited by MizzGee; 11-03-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Update

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    This must be so frustrating for you
    Noticed in the link you provided (Rogers) that there are settings for Data and MMS.
    That means you need two APN settings.
    The other thing I have found with androids is that they do not like other APN's apart from the, in your case, Rogers APN's.
    If others are there, delete them.

Failing all the things we've suggested, I would suggest a call to Rogers to check to see if there is a block on your account.

PS 'RichH, I’ve reset all the APN settings back to default, thinking I should start from scratch. Now that I’ve done that, I’m unable to edit the default APN to remove the username and password.'

No you won't be able to edit the APN if the only one there.
    Go to Menu and select New APN and enter all data details,
    Now do the same for an MMS APN.
    Now delete any other APN's
    Last edited by greenman; 11-03-2012 at 04:58 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to greenman For This Useful Post:

MizzGee (11-03-2012)

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    +1 for checking with Rogers if it is enabled on your account......
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:

MizzGee (11-03-2012)

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    I think I got it! I had already deleted the other APNs that I had created, so upon double checking, I discovered a typo in the APN that I copied from my son's phone. Also, I thought, like me, he had his data turned off, since we are at home with wifi. I was wrong. Once I selected to use packet data I was able to send and receive! For the record, I did try calling Rogers the other day. All she could say was 'remove the battery and reboot..remove the battery and reboot..we'll have to perform a factory reset.' Not much help at all. Unlike you guys Thanks so much!

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    For future reference, packet data will turn off automatically when connected to wifi but will automatically turn on if needed (ie, for MMS), so just leave the box ticked to use Packet data and you'll be fine....
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Oh, excellent! I was wondering, actually lol

13. Remove Advertisements