+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to sync with a Mac

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered
    peshi is on a distinguished road

How to sync with a Mac

Hi

How can I sync my address book, iCal, notes ext from my Mac to Samsung Galaxy S?

Can it be done by bluetooth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Hi.

You will need to sync to google . first on your phone then sync Ical, notes, address book with google. Also use double twist for mac to synce photos, music and video.

is it easy to sync to google, getting phone tomorrow. if its not going to sync easy would it be easier with the HTC desire.
    Will send back if cant sync easy

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    1/ Pick up phone
    2/ Boot up your mac
    3/Smash phone into mac
    4/Well done, your now synced, easy and mac problem solved

Syncing to Google is easy, even for a mac user .
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

is there a way not to use google as I want to use everything in my address book including the notes, as it like a mini database

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    Deepmeister is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by peshi View Post
    is there a way not to use google as I want to use everything in my address book including the notes, as it like a mini database
    I am also a Mac user and very happy with the Galaxy S, much better than a certain Apple-made unit that can't make phone calls...!

I do not "sync" with the phone as experience of bilateral data transfer is usually a disaster waiting to happen, and you will not know what has been lost until you need it. For example, you create a new record on the device, and it is there not on the Mac. Should iSync then remove it off the device (lose the data) to match the records on the Mac? Although the answer is clear in theory, some "sync" softwares tend to get confused.

For the Address Book, I do the following:

1) Open Address Book and select the contacts I want, usually held in a group called "Phone" to make it easier.

2) Export the records as a "vcf" file. Save to the Desktop to make it easier.

3) Assuming your phone is paired, select the "Browse (your phone name)..." from the Bluetooth menu.

4) Send the "vcf" file to the phone.

5) On the phone, open "My Files" which is the built-in file manager to check the file has arrived and its location to remember for future.

6) Open Contacts and then delete all the existing Contacts as you will be replacing them.

7) Select Import/Export and then select from SD card.

8) Select your VCF file that you sent to the phone and job done.

For Notes and stuff, I keep a text file on the Mac. This can be edited and sent to the phone in the same way. On the phone, I can edit it and pull it back the same way such as with new contact names ready to put it the Mac. Can keep lots of files for different purposes, Reminders, Shopping Lists, To Do Lists, etc.

Similarly, for database stuff, I keep the master on the Mac and "print to pdf" from the Print dialog box. The resulting PDF is sent to the phone and opens in "PDF Reader" (free from Android Market). The built-in Adobe PDF Reader is fast but does not allow searching. the "PDF Reader" allows searching. I have an 800 page PDF with 3 records per page. It can search all 800 pages for some text in about 5 seconds to reach the 800th page which is fast enough for my daily use and a lot quicker than trying to do SQL dumps etc.

Have not tried the iCal export but presume it would follow the same process. Export from iCal as a vCal file, send to phone, and import into Calendar?

This may sound cumbersome, but it keeps data safe, easily backed-up on your Mac, and it is a lot easier once you are used to it. If it was more complex, I would have created an AppleScript to do the grunt work. It is actually easier to do it just from the above steps.

Hope it helps, and from what I gather, you and I are the only Mac people here!

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    meg.phazeone is on a distinguished road
    Level
    @Deepmeister.... Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Got my galaxy s II yesterday and have been having trouble getting it to talk to my macbook. I still wish it were easier, but this is the most straight forward explanation of how to get address book contacts on to the phone that I have found yet (I spent hours searching last night). I have not had any luck with my ical though. I don't want to sync my ical and google calendar (i have never used google calendar and don't want to start now), too much effort! Smart phones are supposed to make life easier, I just want to transfer information from ical to my phone, not have to go through google calendar to do it! I'm still sceptical on this phone, it's supposed to be easier to use than iphone but I'm not feeling it... I tried the process you mentioned but can not export from ical as vCal file, only .ics... Any other suggestions?

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    it's supposed to be easier to use than iphone
    Where did you get that idea from Android is simple to learn, but learn you must and once learned you'll wonder why any other phone you've owned didn't work like this

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    meg.phazeone is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I'm still having no luck with this phone... I am trying to get photo's and video's from my phone on to my macbook. I have tried using Kies Air, I select the pictures I want and click "download" then choose where I want it to go and then nothing happens! Also when I plug it in via USB iphoto opens, recognises the device but doesn't show any of the photo's! Please help.... Thanks in advance

Achievements:
    Level
    Make sure the phone is set for mass storage in the phone settings. (Settings/Wireless and network/USB settings. This is from 2.2+)

This will let you use the phone as an external hard drive

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information