[SGS II] Kies Stopped Working - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kies Stopped Working

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassTagger First Class100 Experience Points7 days registered31 days registered
    richardbrown is on a distinguished road
    Level

Kies Stopped Working

Hi there

Apologies up front as I'm sure this has already been covered, but doing a quick search revealed 100s it matches and it's hard to know where to start.

Since I just did a upgrade of Samsung Kies to (File name: Kies_2.5.0.12094_28_8.exe) everytime I start the application I get the error "Kies has stopped working, Close the Program". This happens whether or not I have the phone connected via USB.

At first I had the problem to do with KiesPDLR has stopped working. I followed the advice of an uninstall and clean re-install and I think it worked a couple of times. Now it won't work at all, even after another clean install.

The other symptom I get is that when I boot up my machine it says that Kies Air has stopped working (not that I'm using it).

Any thoughts? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Uninstall Samsung Kies and when prompted agree to uninstall the USB drivers and any temporary files. Install Samsung Kies again.

Once Samsung Kies is installed close it down and any system tray agents. Plug the phone to the PC using the USB and let the drivers recognise and install the device. Once the PC can see the Phones disconnect the Phone and then open Samsung Kies, wait for it to load then connect the phone.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassTagger First Class100 Experience Points7 days registered31 days registered
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tufftoad View Post
    Uninstall Samsung Kies and when prompted agree to uninstall the USB drivers and any temporary files. Install Samsung Kies again.

Once Samsung Kies is installed close it down and any system tray agents. Plug the phone to the PC using the USB and let the drivers recognise and install the device. Once the PC can see the Phones disconnect the Phone and then open Samsung Kies, wait for it to load then connect the phone.
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately I have to say that I've already followed these steps exactly. However, it still doesn't work. Within a couple of seconds of Kies starting up, even before I have a chance to put the cable in, it dies.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Yup, Kies is poo like that.

I just googled 'Kies DPLR' and it came up with a couple of links to the XDA Forums. One of the suggestions was to remove the external SD card and then try.

The other solution was to format the internal SD card so there's nothing on it.....this is a bit more drastic however and you'll need to backup camera photos....and well anything you have put on the phone media wise....maybe even some app data will be missing.

XDA forum also pointed out this thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=751275 .....maybe worth a read?

Achievements:
    Level
    Yup, Kies is poo like that.

I just googled 'Kies DPLR' and it came up with a couple of links to the XDA Forums. One of the suggestions was to remove the external SD card and then try.

The other solution was to format the internal SD card so there's nothing on it.....this is a bit more drastic however and you'll need to backup camera photos....and well anything you have put on the phone media wise....maybe even some app data will be missing.

XDA forum also pointed out this thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=751275 .....maybe worth a read?
    I'm not convinced this would help. As I said in the original post, Kies is failing even before I connect the phone. I.e. it shouldn't matter whether or not I have an SD card, the phone is not even connected. This is a problem with the Kies application, drivers, or OS, not the phone.

Achievements:
    Level
    Then my last and only thinking is as follows:

If the problem is with Kies DPLR then it sounds like it's a component of Samsung Kies. You could try the following steps to see if Kies DPLR is present:

In Windows, clcik the start button and the click 'Run'.
    Type MSConfig and press enter
    Click on the Start-up tab and check to see if Kies DPLR is a component of Samsung Kies, if so then stop it from starting up.

If you encounter any problems just repeat the steps but revert any changes that you made.

Achievements:
    Level
    Then my last and only thinking is as follows:

If the problem is with Kies DPLR then it sounds like it's a component of Samsung Kies. You could try the following steps to see if Kies DPLR is present:

In Windows, clcik the start button and the click 'Run'.
    Type MSConfig and press enter
    Click on the Start-up tab and check to see if Kies DPLR is a component of Samsung Kies, if so then stop it from starting up.

If you encounter any problems just repeat the steps but revert any changes that you made.
    Alas, when I removed Kies from the startup it simply hung. When I put it back again, it continued with the Kies Has Stopped Working symptom. That's with a reboot in between which I did after running msconfig and making the suggested changes.

Feeling very stuck now.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    bhellsun is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Nothing worked for me.

Hello,
    I donno from when my Kies stopped working. But now when I open it it throws the Kies Stopped working error. Snapshot attached.
    1) I tried changing the version from 4.0 to 3.5 in kies.exe.config - Didnt work
    2) Removed Microsoft .NET framework (2 items) from control panel
    3) Uninstalled Kies and Reinstalled Kies
    4) Even tried Reinstalling older version of Kies.
    5) Removed the line "<supportedRuntime version="v3.5" />" completely as per "http://ramspensieve.blogspot.in/2011/11/fix-samsung-kies-crash-on-windows-7.html" - Even this didnt work.

Does anyone have a solution?

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bhellsun View Post
    Nothing worked for me.

Hello,
    I donno from when my Kies stopped working. But now when I open it it throws the Kies Stopped working error. Snapshot attached.
    1) I tried changing the version from 4.0 to 3.5 in kies.exe.config - Didnt work
    2) Removed Microsoft .NET framework (2 items) from control panel
    3) Uninstalled Kies and Reinstalled Kies
    4) Even tried Reinstalling older version of Kies.
    5) Removed the line "<supportedRuntime version="v3.5" />" completely as per "http://ramspensieve.blogspot.in/2011/11/fix-samsung-kies-crash-on-windows-7.html" - Even this didnt work.

Does anyone have a solution?
    Honestly, use another program if possible.

What are you trying to accomplish using Kies? Backup, transfer files, update firmware etc?

Kies and Win 7 are like mortal enemies, really don't get on well together.
    Last edited by Tufftoad; 07-15-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    S3 (i9300) - AOKP 4.3
    Note 3 (N9005) - 4.3
    Nexus 7 (2012) - 4.4.2
    G+ Tuffinhio Mamoru

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Have you tried running it in xp compatibility mode. This helps on some programs that worked ok on xp

Or as Tufftoad said 'Burn kies, Burn'
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information