Samsung Galaxy SII - Black Screen/Data Recovery - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy SII - Black Screen/Data Recovery

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    patman is on a distinguished road
    Level

Samsung Galaxy SII - Black Screen/Data Recovery

Evening all,

Apologies if this post has happened before, really hope someone can help me.

This morning I left my phone in my bootbag. Came back and noticed there was a small crack not in the cover itself but the actual screen. Now the screen is black, doesn't seem like an liquid has spilt like when a screen breaks (But then what do I know?!).

I got a friend to phone it, it still rings.. vibrates, the two lights either side of the button still light up.. does what it usually should. But the screen itself remains black. I plugged it into Kies via USB in the hope I could create a backup and order a new phone. But because it has a keylock on the home screen. I need to unlock that in order for Kies to connect.

Is there any other way at all I can remove the sufficient data? E.g. Photo's, Videos.. as there's alot of sentimental things on there. I should really learn to start backing things up. But its always too late to say that.

Really appreciate some feedback if anyone can hand it to me.

Regards,

Patman.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    Take it in for a new screen. There is no need to reflash any firmware so your phone should be just as it was when you get it back. Make it clear you only want the screen replacing and nothing else....
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Isn't that going to cost alot though? I know beggars can hardly be choosers. But upon looking, i'm looking at £120-£130?

I appreciate the swift reply and help.

PM.

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    I guess it all depends on how valuable your data is....? Without a working screen there's no other way in...
    You could look on ebay for a cheap phone with say maybe a damaged motherboard or a phone that is blocked amd swap your motherboard over that way you would have a working screen again....
    Last edited by RichH; 08-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Can you confirm you turned it off, removed the battery for a bit then tried it again?

Even with a small crack in the glass, I would expect the screen below to show signs of life.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    Triple Eye Pebble with extra added E=MC²:CF-Root:JKay Deluxe
    What next: Note 4?

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    The op says the digitiser is OK but the actual screen that is cracked....., agree that the screen will still work with a cracked digitiser but not the other way round...
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Yes, I took the battery out. Left it, and turned it back on.

Just a black screen, with all the lights working & vibration etc.. as Rich said it's the actual screen inside that's cracked but it doesn't appear to be leaking or have that usual 'cracked' look to it.

Thanks for the help and input. Appreciated.

PM.

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    I'm with you, glass not cracked, the display under that cracked. Maybe whatever damaged that has damaged something else exacerbating the problem.

Does the display show anything in recovery mode? If it does you could factory reset then use Kies (as you say) to remove your photos & videos which would still be there.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    Triple Eye Pebble with extra added E=MC²:CF-Root:JKay Deluxe
    What next: Note 4?

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    How would I put it into recovery mode? Is there a chance the screen could work then?

I got in touch with Samsung Support and they suggested to take it to one of their 'Service Centres' so I might take it there, but won't hold my breath!

Is the factory reset just a 'soft reset' then as compared to a 'hard reset' that would wipe the whole thing?

Once again, thanks for all your help.

PM

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Do you know what software you were on? If on ICS the factory reset will not touch the internal USB storage so anything saved to default phone storage locations will still be there. It just resets the operating system and removes any downloaded apps, emails, contacts, sms/mms etc.
    With phone off hold the following keys in this order, Vol UP + Home + Power.
    If it's working you will see the regular splash screen appear, at which point you let go of the buttons, then a green Android will appear on screen with a bunch of options at the top. You then use the vol down key to select "factory reset" and press power key, you will get a warning screen saying "operation cannot be undone" scroll down again with vol key to "yes" and hit power key. Phone will reset and reboot. It will ask you to set up phone again on first boot and might take 10 mins or so to boot into the config screen.
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information