Tutorial: How to debrand and flash newer firmware to your Galaxy S - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: How to debrand and flash newer firmware to your Galaxy S

Administrator Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs's Avatar

Post Tutorial: How to debrand and flash newer firmware to your Galaxy S

Here's a step by step tutorial on how to flash firmware onto your Galaxy S, this can be used for debranding your phone from network operator firmware which is normally slow and full of logos etc.

A couple of things:
    • Flashing new firmware doesn't unlock your Galaxy S
    • Flashing firmware other than the original operator will most likely void your warrenty. Find your original firmware as a means of back up.

I've tested this myself on Windows 7 x64. Here's the steps involved.

Preparation:
    1. Download and install the lastest Samsung Kies
    2. Download and install http://samsung-updates.com/Odin307.zip
    3. Download the selected http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/ you require. You will have to register on Samsung-Firmwares.com. Be careful and download only a suitable firmware. For example if your current firmware is i9000XXJF2 stick to i9000XXxxx firmware. XX European DX = Asian markets. To view your current firmware version type *#1234# in the phone keypad.
    4. Make sure your phone connects and sygic fine with Samsung Kies
    5. Start your phone in download mode. Power off the mobile. Remove the sim and mircosd. The hold volume down, the home key (middle button) and power button at the same time. Keep holding them till you see an Downloading Android logo.
    6. Connect your USB cable to the phone. Wait for Windows to install the usb download mode drivers.
    7. Once done reboot your computer to be on the safe side.
    Galaxy S flashing / debranding procedure:

1. Start Odin3 and then connect your Galaxy S via USB (Still in download mode)
    2. Odin3 should then report Com7 has connected
    3. Select the pit file and then PDA.tar from the firmware you download over at Samsung-Firmwares.com Only select the PDA / Code file.
    4. You should have the following as per the screenshot below:
    5. Start the download, allow it to finish 100% and then reset before disconnecting the usb cable.

Tips if it doesn't work:

Sometimes Odin doesn't start the process and sits there in cache.rfs. Don't worry, you can disconnect the mobile. Normally if all goes well flashing takes about 1 minute a little more and you should see a blue progress bar
    on your phone at the same time. (Dont remove the usb cable or power off the phone if you see a blue progress bar)

If it fails and you get a failed to start, service logo (USB and phone logo with !) Don't panic. Remove the battery, replace it and then enter download mode again. Restart Odin3 and try again.

These phones are very hard to completely brick. So don't worry
    Last edited by Richardj; 10-20-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 Octacore
    My IP address | LG G2 Forum

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Burtono is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Nice Guide, Cheers.

My current Firmware is XXJF3, so Im ok for now. Good to know we can do this down the line though.

Junior Member vit12345 is on a distinguished road
    Good to hear that the soft works with win7. ODIN for Spica on my PC works with XP only.

fake Mọderator
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd's Avatar
    Level
    wow, this is so useful thanks! and im really glad to hear it works on Windows 7 finally

6. The Following User Says Thank You to soraxd For This Useful Post:

dsii (07-16-2010)

Administrator Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs's Avatar
    I know, no more windows Xp and dual booting!!! Yay

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points31 days registered
    sammy is on a distinguished road
    Level
    For some reason i can only synce my phone with kies in mass storage mode,is this a problem? I want to change firmware to see if i can sort out the horendous gps performance my phone currently has.

Great job. If it seems to you ok,, I will translate to Spanish and post it in www.htcmania.com, mentioning the source. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sihayqueirseva View Post
    Great job. If it seems to you ok,, I will translate to Spanish and post it in www.htcmania.com, mentioning the source. Thank you.
    No problem as long as we are mentioned

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold
    Level
    Hmmn, how long should it take?

(ruh-roh Shaggy!)

1 minute more or less if its working as it should.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information