Antenna problem, can I fix this? - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Antenna problem, can I fix this?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered31 days registered
    Jynto is on a distinguished road
    Level

Antenna problem, can I fix this?

The signal on my Galaxy S is pretty terrible right now. It was never that good to begin with (phone calls would sometimes break up, texts would occasionally fail to send, internet speed tests were often in the single digits). But it got especially bad a few months ago. Sometimes I couldn't even get a dial tone when making calls, or connect to the internet at all.

At first I thought this was the network's fault. So I switched from O2 to Vodafone. And the signal in my university campus improved dramatically. But then I came home for the summer, and my signal got a lot worse again.

It turns out Vodafone has very good coverage for my campus, but O2 is merely okay. O2 service in my hometown is also okay, but Vodafone is worse.

The annoying thing is that it's always an intermittent problem. The signal always comes back a few minutes later, invalidating most of my attempts to test it, and then it fails me when I really need it. It doesn't seem to match up to the bars. I've had four bars and no dial tone before.

I tried putting a wire into my external antenna port like it says here. But the signal did not improve. From this I conclude that the internal antenna is busted.

TL;DR? Start reading here.

Is there any way to replace the internal antenna? If so, which antenna component do I buy?

How do I fit an external antenna? I found an external antenna that says it's compatible with my phone, but what am I supposed to do with it? It looks like I'd have to use my phone without the backplate, and with a cable hanging out the whole time. Aren't there any cases or replacement backplates with a built in antenna?

Lastly, I'm pretty sure this is a hardware fault, but is there any chance it could be a software problem? I am running a nightly build of CyanogenMod 7 (build number GWK74), which is a custom ROM of Android 2.3.7. My kernel version is 2.6.35.14-g7a2264a.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    If not in the UK you may be able to use and purchase a signal repeater. They are illegal to use in the UK so check for your location.
    The galaxy firmware let's you flash an alternative modem/phone. It's a bit of trial and error, but you may find one that gives a better signal.
    If you want to try I'll send a link, but first can you fill *#1234# for your current firmware?

Achievements:
    Level
    When I dial *#1234#, it just says 'unknown command'. Is there any other way to find out my firmware?

Edit: Or does firmware just mean the version of Android that I have? In which case it's Android 2.3.7
    Last edited by Jynto; 07-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    Did you use the stock dialer?
    You could just tell me your Baseband version, under Settings > About phone

Your location and network will also be useful to point you in the right direction.
    Have you used Odin to flash firmware?
    Last edited by greenman; 07-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Baseband version: I9000XXJVK

Achievements:
    Level
    OK. Just a few more questions that I popped into previous message:
    1. What is your geographical location?
    2. Are you trying via Vodafone or O2?
    3. Have you got a custom ROM as 2.3.7 does not appear to be stock samsung?

Achievements:
    Level
    Found this link, and may offer a solution:
    http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...nexus-s-radio/

Achievements:
    Level
    1. My current location is the UK, Saffron Walden to be specific.
    2. I'm using Vodafone now, as I no longer have the SIM card for O2.
    3. Yes, CyanogenMod 7.1.0 is my custom ROM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Seen reports of poor GPRS reception for CM rom. May be better with stock.
    If not try the Nexus modem link as it seems to provide a better signal.

Achievements:
    Level
    Just for interest Current O2 report for Saffron Walden suggests you were right to dump O2:
    Live Results for Saffron Walden, Essex

Our network is currently working fine
    We'll be carrying out some maintenance on our phone masts in this area on the 06 July.
    Updated 16:31 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

Normal coverage for Voice, Text and Email (2G)
    Good indoors and outdoors.

Normal coverage for Mobile Internet (3G)
    Sorry, we do not have coverage here.

Normal coverage for Mobile Internet (3G900)
    Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.

The S is not a 3G900 phone but the S2 is.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information