[SGS II] Phone won't turn on...or is dead - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phone won't turn on...or is dead

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered
    Susanpiptinker is on a distinguished road
    Level

Phone won't turn on...or is dead

Hi, I have today travelled abroad. I turned my phone off during the flight - and when I got to my destination the phone won't turn on again. It had plenty of power, however just in case the battery had somehow flattened itself - I have tried charging it. Nothing happens - it is like the phone is dead. I need the phone to be working whilst I'm away - can anyone help / suggest a solution? I'm in Gambia so can't pop down to the nearest Samsung office. Thanks. Susan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    First thing is to take out your battery, have a coffee and replace.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    First thing is to take out your battery, have a coffee and replace.
    Thanks - I did that (though I had a beer not a coffee!). This morning I out it all back together. Still wouldn't turn on so tried charging it just in case it de-charged during the flight. Yesterday I got nothing - today a warning that the battery s too hot and it won't charge! At last it looks like it's a battery problem and not the whole phone - but somewhat annoying as I've only has it a few months!

Any other suggestions anyone? Put the battery n the fridge?

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    If you can find a pencil (graphite) try rubbing the battery contacts with it...
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    Two thoughts, first check that your charger micro usb socket is clean and dry. Use a cocktail stick or similar to gently probe as moisture can short the connections.
    Secondly, did you update you phone recently to ics?
    This possibly isn't a battery, but a firmware problem and may respond to a factory reset - if you can get it into Recovery.
    To get into Recovery press and hold the volume up + Home button + Power button until in blue recovery screen.
    Use volume button to select factory reset and press power button to carry out.

This will delete data on your phone, including contacts, but as you can't backup there's little you can do.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thank you to those who replied - I thought I'd tell you what happened with the phone. I ordered a new battery whilst I was on holiday so it was here for me on my return. Same problem - so it was the phone not the battery. I went to my local Tesco mobile store where I'd taken out the contract and they said they couldn't replace the phone, but could send it to be repaired. It was sent off and returned today with a letter saying it had water damage, which wasn't covered by the warranty, so tough (or words to that effect) and they returned the broken phone. The phone has never been in or near water. I turned it off for the flight, put it in my handbag by my feet and turned it back on when I landed. I can only assume that condensation got in during the flight - which to my mind is a badly built phone not a consumer generated problem. I have spent over 2 hours on the phone to Tesco mobile today being passed from pillar to post and getting nowhere. The end result was (a) they won't give me a new phone (b) they won't cancel my standing order (c) they won't cancel my contract (d) they won't waive any early cancellation fees if I insist on cancelling the contract. I have only had the phone for 6 months so there is 18 months to run and Tesco say I have to pay for it even though I don't have a phone. Frankly I haven't heard anything so ridiculous so I am wondering whether anyone else has a similar story?

I really liked the S2, but am reluctant to get another one (which definitely wouldn't be through Tesco!), so can anyone recommend a similar phone? At the time I did a lot of research and the ideal came down to iphone or S2, and the former is overpriced.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    There was one similar report on here from someone who had the same phantom water damage, but I've not heard of it been a regular thing. Ask them for proof that it is water damage and make sure (by checking the IMEI number) that you have the correct phone back. It's not uncommon for phones to get mixed up in repair centres....
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    El Hamawii is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi, The Same happened to me Today, And I have just bought my phone last week and started using it yesterday :/
    Anyone can help ?

Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Try taking out the battery for 15 minutes and then replace and turn on. If that fails. The people who sold you the phone, take it back to them and ask for a refund or a New replacement handset.

You usually have 14 days to return an item and 1 - 2 years warranty as standard.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Sankanu is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hello guys, I have the same problem here. My white Galaxy s2 i9100 went off suddenly yesterday while i was browsing. Initially I thought it was the battery since it was around 12%(which is unusual) when that happened. When I put it on charger it refused to charge and when i use the USB cord on my laptop it refused to come on, the laptop cannot even detect the phone. Normally even when the battery is dead when I fix it on the laptop it starts charging right away, but not this time.

I tried hard resetting by pressing the volume up/down + power button but nothing happened. This morning I made some research and found out that it is possibly the IC circuit that needs to be changed. Some people with similar problem even went further by changing the motherboard when in fact it is the IC that needs to be changed.

I cannot take my phone to the Samsung office here since I didn't get it directly from them so I will be seeing a technician to do this for me. I am in Gambia, it is possible our technicians here do not even have the correct tool to do it without damaging the phone for good, so I'm thinking of sending it to Dakar for repair.

If anyone thinks there is another way of solving this problem please drop a line or two. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Sankanu; 10-15-2012 at 02:06 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information