[SGS II] Water damage, overheating u503 (USB OTG) and Workaround - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water damage, overheating u503 (USB OTG) and Workaround

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    pitrack_1 is on a distinguished road
    Level

Water damage, overheating u503 (USB OTG) and Workaround

Hi all,

my wife decided to immersion-test the SGS II (result: fail ) and I got to pick up the pieces (and they came out of the toilet bowl: yeeeech! )

Anyway the upshot is the USB OTG (USB On The Go- which allows the SGS II to act as a USB host to devices such as USB thumb drives / hard drives and therefore is required to provide 5V @500mA for USB2- which I'm assuming SGS II is compatible with) U503 chip was overheating upon startup, and I've had to remove it to get the device working again. Everything seems to work that I've tested (not USB OTG).

An outline of what I've done, with pictures attached, is in my next post to this thread.

I noted someone else who posted previously (Fried mainboard thread by matunkle) had a very similar, if not the same, problem. Hope this helps someone!

Cheers,

Pitrack_1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    pitrack_1 is on a distinguished road
    Level

What I've done- workaround to overheating U503 (USB OTG power chip)

The following is what I sent to the guys who helped me: thanks to John, Trevor, Laurence et al

I thought you’d just like to know the outcome of my attempted repair of the water-tested (failed) Samsung Galaxy S-II. The final outcome is I have a working device again! Touchscreen, phone, speaker, mic, camera, GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, USB to PC, charging- it all seems to work except I haven’t tested the USB OTG failed part yet.

After the immersion the device would startup but a part of the board at the lower right of the screen became very hot very quickly. After dismantling and consulting the service manual, I isolated it (with my finger- ouch!) to the U503 chip.

U503 is the USB OTG (USB- On The Go- allows the device to act as a USB host for e.g. flash drives, mice, keyboards, etc) power supply chip. U503 happens to be a Maxim MAX8627 (or equivalent) which basically is a switchmode power supply chip giving 5V @500mA (for USB). This seems to have either failed or being caused to overheat. As far as Trevor and I can tell we can only get ‘em on a roll of 2000 or so at a time...

With no viable way of replacing it the only thing I could think of was to disable it. This I determined to do by destruction and/or removal. Trevor’s help, inspection and advice here was invaluable, he recommended leaving it in place so as not to destroy the board.

See the pics for the results. The chip labelled AAQ BCW is U503 and around it mostly are ancillary capacitors, resistors and inductors (see a MAX8627 spec sheet).

U503_group_a_1.jpg - U503 area with some surface contamination.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	U503_group_a_1.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1368

U503_group_scraped_surface_contaminants_1.jpg - after scraping off surface contaminants.

Name:	U503_group_scraped_surface_contaminants_1.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1371

This didn’t fix the issue, so as a final attempt I took to U503 with a Dremel and a fine pointed diamond bit. You can see in the pictures where the fine wires were from the leg pins were cut.

U503_ground_down_b_1.jpg U503 area after grinding.

Name:	U503_ground_down_b_1.jpg
Views:	1234
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1370

U503_ground_down_a_1.jpg U503 close-up after grinding, you can just see the gold wires from the pins/legs.

Name:	U503_ground_down_a_1.jpg
Views:	1264
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1369

Upon cleanup and power up, it started with no more overheating. I put it back together, tested Bluetooth and Wifi connections, downloaded all data then tested everything bit-by-bit, finishing with charging and USB PC connection. Hooray! Both the last two were a major concern as they take place through the same micro-USB port as USB-OTG. Unfortunately my wife will want it back now so I won’t have a plaything. :-(

Trevor thinks he may be able to put a new MAX8627 on, but we need to find an individual one first.

Cheers,

PTB

And I've since upgraded it OTA from 2.3.3 to ICS 4.0.3 (I think!) from Vodafone Australia.
    Pitrack_1

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    Good call, thanks for this
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information