Phone not charging - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phone not charging

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    KTreu42 is on a distinguished road
    Level

Phone not charging

Like it says. I've had my GS2 for about 6-7 months, and yesterday it started acting funny, then lost a ton of charge. I put it on the wall charger, and it started rapidly dis/re-connecting from the power. It was weird, so I turned it off and got a little charge back. Then it died later, and for hours was showing NO response to being on the charger for extended periods.

I left it to charge overnight, and woke up with 17% life on my phone. I left it, hoping it was starting to come back to life, came back 2-3 hours later and... 17%. It registers that it has been charging, but is apparently losing charge at the same rate it is charging.

- I've tried taking the battery out and putting it back in, and plugging the charger in at every different interval therein.
    - My best guesses are that the battery somehow got damaged (water or something?) and is failing, or the charge port is ruined somehow. I've tried 2 different chargers to the same (lack of) effect.

I'm essentially screwed right now, any advice would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    Often the problem in these cases is a dirty or damaged usb port.
    Ideally give it a blast with compressed air, but a gentle poke with paintbrush or cocktail stick may remove any debris.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    I blew some air into it, but it still seems to be very sketchy while charging. If anything changes, I'll update... but I'm probably headed for a replacement battery or something

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    You don't say if you've carried out any updates recently. The ICS update without a factory reset has been reported as increasing battery use.
    To get charge back into your phone, have you tried charging with the phone off so it's not using any power?
    Has the phone got hot during the discharge?

As you say, it may be time to look for another battery. The Samsung 2000Ah with modified back is very good, and looks better than the original while still fitting in a solid case. Worth a look.

Achievements:
    Level
    I just saw that 2000mAh last night. I'm probably going to take a trip to see if I can get one.

I've done no updates recently, and my phone charged a tiny bit last night while off, it seems like, if it's charging while off, it's very very minimal.

Achievements:
    Level
    Long shot, but if you have ClockworkModRecovery you could wipe battery stats and try again.

Achievements:
    Level
    So here's the news:

Took it to a Service Repair Center, and basically I guess they had no actual idea what was wrong, so they just replaced my phone and battery altogether. Cool, except they didn't ask me if they could, or even say they had to, since now I not only have to re-download my apps and reconnect all my accounts, set up my home screens and app menu, etc., but I LOSE all of my saved keyboard words, saved data on apps like game files, and all that jazz.

Long story short, so far the phone has been charging nicely and I now have a brand new phone, no nicks or dings on it, and also I have not had the few strange problems I had with the previous one (Swype keypad would back out if I single-press the "d" or "k" key, and would stop entering words after; and I couldn't call/receive calls from my dad for some reason)... but I'm pretty upset that they did this without any consulting me first.

Achievements:
    Level
    But pleased with the new phone - poor service though as they could have asked if you wanted them to back up your phone.
    Could have had irreplaceable contacts.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information