Very disappointed about the S3 - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Very disappointed about the S3

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    MirceaKitsune is on a distinguished road MirceaKitsune's Avatar
    Level
    My RAM on the SGS1 is always full. Might be why it's so slow and shutting down out of nowhere every few days. In the built-in RAM screen, I'm shown 280MB / 329MB, and the Clear Memory button barely reduces it. And considering again that 3D games of PC quality might appear for Android, or even 3D modelling software (like Blender) and what not over the recent years, I suspect the extra RAM wouldn't hurt. But as for the looks, I am ok with them now so no worries

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Anyone remember this:
    Bill Gates
    'No one will need more than 637 kb of memory'
    Now:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tufftoad View Post
    Why do you need any more than 1Gb RAM?
    I'm disappointed about this too. Who knows what the future will bring.

Also what happened to the edge to edge screen?

I'll now have to wait, unless I get bitten by a big bug
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    Deepmeister is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I agree with your disappointment, the white version is great for those who want a white phone, but the S3 is very disappointing in its choice of colours and styling.

Its not the colours themselves (white or blue), but the lack of a black/grey version for business use? Despite the impressive hardware specification, the poor choice of colours makes the phone look like a cheap toy rather than a serious communications tool, and the heavily publicised features further indicate that Samsung is making a social network appliance rather than a business tool. Sharing photos, locations, facebook status, etc, all good features for those who want it, but what about the business stuff that pays the bills, like eMail, Calendars appointments, viewing PDFs or spreadsheets, etc. It has the power, shame they only want to push the social side.

I have already ordered mine, of course, but for the first time in a long time, will seriously look for covers or cases that hide the toy-like looks! My Mac looks business-like in Aluminium and Black Glass at work, so does the iStuff, and still looks good at home too. This is a major part of why I think the design of the S3 is disappointing.

Anyone know where I can get an industrial steel case...

PS: I might change my mind after seeing the blue colour in the flesh, but it is still a bit of a shock to my system...!

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    andy-roid is a jewel in the rough andy-roid is a jewel in the rough andy-roid is a jewel in the rough andy-roid is a jewel in the rough andy-roid's Avatar
    Level
    Its got too many gimmicks for me like the s voice why do you need to ask what the weathers going to be like when you unlock the phone theres an app all ready tells you...I'm still using my galaxy s with cm9
    galaxy s3 i9300XXBLG6

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    tuxgirl will become famous soon enough tuxgirl's Avatar
    Level
    I think the RAM is a disappointment too, it's one of those things that it's always better to have more of than less. I'm sure it will run fine for now... but we don't know how much the next android os will take, let alone future apps, so for future proofing, I think 2GB would have been a good choice.

The galaxy note is technically "Carbon Blue" but looks black 99% of the time, so I don't think the blue case will necessarily be that bad/unprofessional looking.

I only got my S2 a few months ago, so I was getting ready to be tempted to sell it off, and get the S3 on contract when my contract is up in June... but looking at the specs, I think I can wait. It's a very iPhone-style incremental update IMO, for those that are on the S1 who upgrade it's going to be amazing because it's a huge leap, but for those on the S2 there isn't really that huge incentive to upgrade.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Sc00by will become famous soon enough Sc00by's Avatar
    Level
    I've been mulling it over since the launch, and reading different sites / opinions - kinda thinking . . . . . .

Samsung didn't have any ground breaking new tech to put into the handset, so they went with services and integration between handset and user, and then sold it big, just like Apple do from day one with the first Iphone

Whether it has worked for the S3, only time will tell.

I never expected to be that blown away, as there is nothing really groundbreaking on the scene.
    What there is though is improvements in CPU, camera and "life proofing".

I think they were bang on by getting their latest chip in, would have been a major disapointment not to have done that, as they are in control of the manufacture of both the chip and the handset, so no one but themselves could have let them down.

I like the improvements that have been put in on the camera front, a good burst mode, stills and vid at the same time (HTC would have had a big one on them if they had not done this) plus improvements in shutter delay (probs worder that wrong).
    Kinda expected a 12 MP sensor, but for me that isn't a deal breaker - I think the future (short term) for handsets, will be in the oversampling route Nokia are taking with the Pureview.

Plasticy, well that doesn't bother me personally - I had the original S - and yep it did attract fingerprints on the back - but who cares when you're looking at the front.
    Plus my S and S2 have both 'lived' in cases anyway.
    Add to that the number of trashed IP4s that I have seen with smashed fron and back.

Bottom line for me personally, and the only area that I really think they have totally let themselves down on is the waterproof coating that is now available.
    With people like P2i saying things like
    Wev'e got fruity and big Korean brands interested in making use of our waterproof technology.
    I kinda hoped it would be a given in this years flagship models.

Who knows, maybe Samsung have kept a few titbits bag to drop in over the next few weeks to keep people interested in between announcing and launching - or am I just kidding myself.

Personally speaking, with the chip, better battery, bigger screen, improvements in the camera - I am struggling to not pre-order here and now !
    BUT, no waterproofing - is for me a deal breaker.
    Will I stick to my guns, who knows.

Will the S3 be a success, I think so.

Will it be an Iphone Killer that people have talked about for years - I dont think so, that wont happen untill (if) the general publics perception of owning and IPhone or Apple product changes.
    Have Samsung got closer than anyone else - in my opinion yes.
    Galaxy S2, and loving it ;-))

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    My RAM on the SGS1 is always full. Might be why it's so slow and shutting down out of nowhere every few days. In the built-in RAM screen, I'm shown 280MB / 329MB, and the Clear Memory button barely reduces it. And considering again that 3D games of PC quality might appear for Android, or even 3D modelling software (like Blender) and what not over the recent years, I suspect the extra RAM wouldn't hurt. But as for the looks, I am ok with them now so no worries
    I'm not entirely convinced it's totally a RAM issue - the S1's CPU can't juggle that many plates before things get sluggish. The fact you've got around 50MB RAM available suggests that. Would be interesting to see what's using it (Settings, Applications, Memory Usage, Running) as most apps don't use a horrendous amount. Live wallpapers do. My phone's rooted and I use Gemini App Manager to control auto start services as some are just unnecessary.

Granted, I've got few widgets running but my RAM is currently 160MB free. I've got the full 364MB thanks to the CWM tweaks.

Obviously, 2GB would have been nice but I don't think 1GB will be an issue - a lot of PCs netbooks and laptops are still running a full Windows OS with 1GB remember!

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold
    Level
    I was mildly disappointed until I found out this has a Wolfson DAC in it, and then I got excited about it.

Also found out some other interesting stuff about it - like Samsung's 32nm process and effects on battery life, exFAT support, Apt-X.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered
    maverick786us is on a distinguished road
    Level
    The only thing that disappointed me was, I was expecting its panel to be made up of Ceramic instead of cheap plactic. The looks of this device is not bad at all but it isn't as beautiful as Galaxy S2. Specially when I have 2 Galaxy S2s in my family

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    schrodinger is on a distinguished road
    Level
    It's too big!!!

The SGS2 is just about the right size as not to look as if your putting a tablet to your ear.

Looks like I'll be sticking with the S2 or dare I say it change to an i***** 5 if the spec is better.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information