Thread: Newbie Sat questions

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    micknmavis is on a distinguished road
    Level

Newbie Sat questions

I am purchasing an SII and was wondering how what people think of the SAT NAV functionality. I am thinking of installing CoPilot as I will be travelling in France over the summer and want to use the phone as a Sat Nav without incuring high data usage costs. Firstly, has anybody got any thoughts on using CoPilot? and am I right that it will not download anything as the maps are local and it will only use the GPS functionality and not use any data usage?

Hope you can help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Hey, your right in believing so and that should be the case, make sure you disable/block the data network connection anyway. Never used CoPilot but I don't think you should have a problem with SatNav as long as you use decent software.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by micknmavis View Post
    I am purchasing an SII and was wondering how what people think of the SAT NAV functionality. I am thinking of installing CoPilot as I will be travelling in France over the summer and want to use the phone as a Sat Nav without incuring high data usage costs. Firstly, has anybody got any thoughts on using CoPilot? and am I right that it will not download anything as the maps are local and it will only use the GPS functionality and not use any data usage?

Hope you can help.
    I've used copilot for 3 or 4 years now, and it has never let me down. All maps are stored on the phone, so you wont be charged for downloading maps on the move.

There is all so a very good free sat-nav app on google play store called Mapfactor Navigator found here https://play.google.com/store/search...vigator&c=apps download it using wifi and then download the maps, voices, speedcams ect you require.
    The maps are open street source, have good detail. Loads of POI's and some very nice features. Well worth a go, considering it's free.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    I've used CoPilot for several years, first of all on Windows Mobile and now on Android with my S2.
    Still find it brilliant and the S2's big screen together with on board Vlingo, makes a great hands free bit of kit.
    Eats power though so you must have a car charger to keep it going.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated. S2 in hand, will post back feedback once I'm on the go.

Ta

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Another quick question I can't find an answer to ......... do I need an SD card in my S2 to install the maps onto. The Euro maps are 2GB, I have only the standard storage on my phone and no SD card. Do I need to add an SD card?

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    Maps are stored on the internal sd card for both MapFactor Navigator and Copilot live.

Extra storage is always nice to have so yes I would get one.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    When you say the Maps are stored on the internal SD, is this the "16GB USB Drive" which shows up in the storage and not the device memory?

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    You can operate CoPilot from the internal 16GB storage or in the external sd card that can be up to 32GB.
    I have used both methods and not experienced any difference in operation.
    Although in general the internal memory is so big, why not just run it from there?

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Cheers ............. that's what I was after, on the internal 16GB it will go.

Splendid

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information