Trouble setting up Yahoo Mail.. please help :) - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trouble setting up Yahoo Mail.. please help :)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    DNA is on a distinguished road
    Level

Trouble setting up Yahoo Mail.. please help :)

Hi there,
    I finally got my GS and have been playing around with it for the past few days, but I cant seem to set up my yahoo.com email on it.
    I enter the address (xxxx@yahoo.com) and the password in the initial setup screen and press next, but it tells me that its an invalid username/password - but it is right!!!!

I've tried the manual setup and tried mostly all the settings - pop3, ssl, ssl with auth, different port numbers, (110, 995, etc) but I get various errors like 'unable to connect to server' and such...

What am I doing wrong? has anyone else set up their yahoo account successfully?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Junior Member vmoisa will become famous soon enough
    Apparently, the E-mail client of the SGS does not work with Yahoo! accounts. However, it works with MDN (Live, Hotmail) accounts.

I have identified two solutions:
    1. Download form the Android Market the Yahoo! E-mail client. But it seems to be slow and buggy.
    2. Use K9 Mail (from Android Market), which is better thant the stock E-mail client and can handle Yahoo! accounts.

Hope this helps.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vmoisa For This Useful Post:

DNA (08-05-2010), someuser (08-05-2010)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser's Avatar
    Level
    I have a rarely used yahoo account and was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the K9 tip!!!

Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks for the info, I'll hit the android market right now..

If the SGS really cant handle yahoo, what an oversight lol, even my previous phone, an old INQ1 dumbphone handles yahoo mail perfectly.

I was getting a 'some types of yahoo mail accounts arent supported' error when I tried, I wonder if it had to do with me having a .com address instead of a .co.uk one, as when I tried a .co.uk one, it didnt give me that message,

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    awol is on a distinguished road
    Level
    If you have a Google mail account, apparently you can set it up to recieve Yahoo messages as well as Google e-mail messages? My friend has both e-mail groups going into her Google Mail on HTC Desire!

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic's Avatar
    Level
    Last time I checked mail forwarding is a premium feature, only available to paying member. More money for Yahoo
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy I9100 Unlocked/ Rooted
    Network: O2 UK
    Baseband version: I9100XXLPQ

Achievements:
    Level
    Just downloaded the official Yahoo client, and initial setup and use seems to work well, gonna see how it handles the notifications and such. ...

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered3 months registered
    Sc00by will become famous soon enough Sc00by's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA View Post
    Just downloaded the official Yahoo client, and initial setup and use seems to work well, gonna see how it handles the notifications and such. ...
    Would be very interested in how you get on ?
    I've set up a googlemail account when I got my Galaxy S, but have 3 yahoo accounts that I would like to sync as well.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc00by View Post
    Would be very interested in how you get on ?
    I've set up a googlemail account when I got my Galaxy S, but have 3 yahoo accounts that I would like to sync as well.

Any feedback would be appreciated
    I'll try give you some definitive feedback tomorrow, So far it seems to do what it says on the tin, although my main interest in in is just to get notification of new mail and read them. I tend not to do replying/deleting/or mail maintenance on the phone, (as I can do that when I get home).

Achievements:
    Level
    Having the yahoo clinet installed for a few days now... seems that the notifications dont work ... apparently, several users have made similar comments in the market. basically I have to start the client manually and it will check and display new mail. That part of it works fine, its just no notifications.
    It did show one notification on the 1st day, (a little Y! in the top status area) , but since then nothing in the way of notifications. oh well, at least its something lol.. Ill try K9 soon to see how that handles things

13. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information