[How Too] S-II's built-in Clock app's Timer does not sound when going off - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S-II's built-in Clock app's Timer does not sound when going off

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    mmo is on a distinguished road
    Level

S-II's built-in Clock app's Timer does not sound when going off

Since a few weeks I have the very odd effect, that the S-II's built-in Clock app's timer does not ring, when going off. It silently displays "Time's up" on screen, but doesn't sound nor vibrate.
    I do have set a sound in Clock => Timer => Menu => Settings => Alarm Tone and the volume is turned to 100%. I also have set all sounds in Home screen => Menu => Settings => Sound => Volume up to 100% but ther is not sound!

It drives me nuts and makes the device practically useless as an alert device!

Any ideas?

M.

PS.: I do not have any automatic task killer installed.
    Last edited by mmo; 04-15-2012 at 04:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    'Since a few weeks ....' is the important part, as it suggests that something you did a few weeks ago has caused this.
    Could be an app/firmware update or other.
    Presumably you've done a soft reboot, so may be time for a factory reset.

PS Checked on mine and couldn't replicate the problem other than by turning down volume and putting into silent mode on home pull down notification screen.

Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Yes - I did a couple of soft reboots since and I also Force stopped the app a couple of times (in Main => Settings => Applications => Manage Applications and also cleared all the app's data trying to "reset" it). If that's not enough then I'll have to look for a new app instead. A factory reset is definitely out of the question!

M.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mmo View Post
    Yes - I did a couple of soft reboots since and I also Force stopped the app a couple of times (in Main => Settings => Applications => Manage Applications and also cleared all the app's data trying to "reset" it). If that's not enough then I'll have to look for a new app instead. A factory reset is definitely out of the question!
    M.
    You've done pretty much all you can, except the factory reset.
    Presumably it's because you have a lot on your phone that you don't wish to risk losing.
    There could be the problem.

Achievements:
    Level
    > Presumably it's because you have a lot on your phone that you don't wish to risk losing.
    Nothing that could not be restored, but the restore and re-installation of all those apps would take me hours!

As I said, I'll check for a different clock with timer function. Really odd and annoying, that this doesn't sound any more. And since it is built-in, I can't remove and re-install. There should be a kind of "factory reset this application only"...

Achievements:
    Level
    You could remove it if your phone was rooted, but is it worth the effort??
    Like your idea of having a 'restore this application only' except it's often another, unknown, application that creates the conflict and stops the function.

Achievements:
    Level
    Exactly the same here! The built-in clock up's Timer doesn't emit any sound but only displays a graphic to drag a circled x left or right.
    Oddly enough, clock alarms do go off with sound, only the timer alerts don't.
    And what really brings me close to factory resetting is, that calendar alerts are also not going off. No indication at all, neither optically nor acoustically. It's driving me nuts!

BTW: I recently updated from Android 2.3.2 to 4 and that sound bug survived! :-(

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    You could put the phone into recovery mode and just do a clear cache first rather than a factory reset. I do, however, suspect it is annother app that is causing the problem.
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

10. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information