charging paused voltage too high - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: charging paused voltage too high

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    biggles is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi, I seem to have the same problem. I used Kies to update to 4.0.3 and since then the phone has problems whenever it is NOT connected to a charger or USB cable. When there is no cable plugged in the phone still thinks it is charging, and at various intervals between 20 secs and an hour an info box pops up saying "Charging paused. Voltage too high"
    I have done a factory reset twice and the problem is still there.
    I do not remember the previous version of Android for certain but believe it was Gingerbread. Current baseband version is I9100XXLPQ and kernel is 3.0.15-I9100XXLPQ-CL223505.
    I cannot be certain, but the info box seem to pop up more often if the phone is hot, such as when using GPS.
    The phone will not turn on if there is no cable plugged in.
    Before I did the Kies update the phone was rooted. I did not do anything to remove that, and after the update it was not rooted.

There are a few mentions in other forums of the same thing or something similar happening after doing this update, but none of the suggested solutions have worked for me.

My phone was bought new, unlocked in Finland.

If anyone knows which version of Gingerbread I should try and load, I will have a go at manually going back to Gingerbread. Any other ideas are also welcome!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0%
    jarlee is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi Ashey. I had exactly the same problem for the last 2 days, with all the same symptoms.

I just fixed this after reading the comment from Maddog1974 below. For me the problem was also a dirty micro USB port. I actually stuck a toothpick into the charging port and scraped out a dirty piece of lint. After that my problem has disappeared completely. (previously every 30 seconds I got the message).
    Please note that my S2 is NOT flashed, and most probably your issue is similar to mine or Maddogs, that its dirt around the hardware (USB port connection).
    I have also read on another forum that water damage can also cause this issue.

Before despairing - have a clean around in the USB port and connector with a suitable tools.

Hope this helps.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    biggles is on a distinguished road
    Level
    This has not worked for me. I tried a toothpick and did not find anything, then used a can of compressed air on the power connector, but the phone still behaves in the same way. There must be some hardware diagnostics that could help me see if there is a hardware problem. I will try searching for them.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    This can also be caused by a damaged centre pin on the USB connector. The ribbon cable with connector can be purchased quite cheaply on ebay and are fairly easy to fit. A test for it is to very gently pry the centre pin up slightly and see if the problem goes away. Problem seems to be caused by pulling out the charger cable at a downward angle which overtime bends the pins.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    ashey is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post
    Hi, I seem to have the same problem. I used Kies to update to 4.0.3 and since then the phone has problems whenever it is NOT connected to a charger or USB cable. When there is no cable plugged in the phone still thinks it is charging, and at various intervals between 20 secs and an hour an info box pops up saying "Charging paused. Voltage too high"
    I have done a factory reset twice and the problem is still there.
    I do not remember the previous version of Android for certain but believe it was Gingerbread. Current baseband version is I9100XXLPQ and kernel is 3.0.15-I9100XXLPQ-CL223505.
    I cannot be certain, but the info box seem to pop up more often if the phone is hot, such as when using GPS.
    The phone will not turn on if there is no cable plugged in.
    Before I did the Kies update the phone was rooted. I did not do anything to remove that, and after the update it was not rooted.

There are a few mentions in other forums of the same thing or something similar happening after doing this update, but none of the suggested solutions have worked for me.

My phone was bought new, unlocked in Finland.

If anyone knows which version of Gingerbread I should try and load, I will have a go at manually going back to Gingerbread. Any other ideas are also welcome!!
    Hi Biggles- your story sounds very similar - my problems may have started from the upgrade poss from the ginger bread. is there any where i can download the gingerbread software to my phone and try it that way. its been in the shop again and they problems have not been sorted.i do firmly believe the problem is software.

i have searched the web and get directed to file sharings site that you have to pay , don t like this.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Neemulus is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi folks.

This has been driving me mad for days but I think I have discovered the problem and think I've FIXED it...

To fix this (look, it worked for me ok!) do the following:
    1. Connect your phone via USB to any computer
    2. When it is connected, you should see the USB sign top left of your phone
    3. Drag down the notification bar so you can see 'Ongoing' that you are connected
    4. Check the 'Connected as a....'

If this says 'Connected as a Camera' then you may be in luck. If not... then try this anyway... worked for me.
    1. Touch the 'Connected as a....' notification
    2. If it is set to camera, change it to MTP
    3. Hit the back button
    4. Disconnect

All should be working fine. If it was already set to MTP, then change it to 'Camera' and see what happens. Try rebooting the phone and then switch it back to MTP.

If none of this works, try rebooting the phone again, then put it back on the USB, then once it's charged for 30 seconds - Remove.

This worked for me and has stopped my phone beeping every five minutes saying 'Charging suspended' and leaving the screen on this message and draining the batteries. It's driven me mad for 4 or 5 days now but is currently behaving. I registered and posted this message just to spare you guys the pain as I've not seen a resolution to this anywhere else...

Good luck.

Neemulus.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    Caliban is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Having similar problems to everyone else, phone thinks it's always plugged in and at 100% battery. When I turn it off the screen flicks between a picture of an empty and half full battery. Also it won't turn on without having the USB cable plugged in. Tried gently prying up the pin inside the micro usb port and it stopped thinking it was plugged in, however the issue reappeared after the next time I plugged it in. Also tried cleaning the port out with no success. Earlier in the day I kept getting a message saying "Charging paused. Voltage too high", however that seems to have gone away for now. Really frustrated at the moment because the phone's been perfect for the past 6 months. I'm considering contacting Samsung for a warranty claim - anyone had any experience with this?

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    If under warranty I would take it back for repair.
    Let us know what the problem was and how Samsung Service fixed it, as this seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    ashey is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neemulus View Post
    Hi folks.

This has been driving me mad for days but I think I have discovered the problem and think I've FIXED it...

To fix this (look, it worked for me ok!) do the following:
    1. Connect your phone via USB to any computer
    2. When it is connected, you should see the USB sign top left of your phone
    3. Drag down the notification bar so you can see 'Ongoing' that you are connected
    4. Check the 'Connected as a....'

If this says 'Connected as a Camera' then you may be in luck. If not... then try this anyway... worked for me.
    1. Touch the 'Connected as a....' notification
    2. If it is set to camera, change it to MTP
    3. Hit the back button
    4. Disconnect

All should be working fine. If it was already set to MTP, then change it to 'Camera' and see what happens. Try rebooting the phone and then switch it back to MTP.

If none of this works, try rebooting the phone again, then put it back on the USB, then once it's charged for 30 seconds - Remove.

This worked for me and has stopped my phone beeping every five minutes saying 'Charging suspended' and leaving the screen on this message and draining the batteries. It's driven me mad for 4 or 5 days now but is currently behaving. I registered and posted this message just to spare you guys the pain as I've not seen a resolution to this anywhere else...

Good luck.

Neemulus.
    Hi NEEM i had great faith in you and you gave me a slight bit of hope. i have tried your suggestion both ways and it did not work.like CAliban my fault is intermitent and when i disconnect the usb it still shows the battery sign charging. i really do believe its a software problem and the only way to do this and check is to install earlier versions of the software that came with the phone. i do need a gingerbread software - but where to get it from / / and how do you install it

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ashey View Post
    Hi NEEM i had great faith in you and you gave me a slight bit of hope. i have tried your suggestion both ways and it did not work.like CAliban my fault is intermitent and when i disconnect the usb it still shows the battery sign charging. i really do believe its a software problem and the only way to do this and check is to install earlier versions of the software that came with the phone. i do need a gingerbread software - but where to get it from / / and how do you install it
    To get your Gingerbread software go to sammobile and search for your phone and region.
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?p...00&r=1#regiona

Download to computer and unzip.
    Watch this video (installing ICS but same procedure) http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...y-s2-50006766/

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information