[SGS II] How do I stop my contact photos appearing in Gallery on SGSII/Android 2.3.3? - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I stop my contact photos appearing in Gallery on SGSII/Android 2.3.3?

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Midnight Rush is on a distinguished road
    Level

How do I stop my contact photos appearing in Gallery on SGSII/Android 2.3.3?

How do I stop my contact photos appearing in Gallery on SGSII/Android 2.3.3? I know from various sites that you can add a ".NoMedia" file to any folder and it will apparently prevent it from displaying in Gallery, but I can't find the actual folder location in My Files where the contact photos are stored, so that I can put this file there - and I can't find this info on ANY web sites. Is the .nomedia thing the only way to stop this? Also, is it possible to uninstall / remove access to Gallery if I install another photo/video manager app? Which leads me on to - what apps would you recommend to manage photos and videos?

Please accept my apologies if these questions are answered elsewhere in this forum, I did search but couldn't find them. I've just moved to Android from MS Windows Mobile 6.5, and everything is so completely different that it's take some time to get used to the new setup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    It's all another language isn't it??
    Regarding your contact photos in Gallery, did you copy them there and then select from Gallery to post in your Contact's profile?
    That's normally the pathway and not the other way round.
    If the first, and now you don't want the Contact picture in gallery then delete it.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Hi, I already had all my contacts backed up from my old phone (HTC HD2) to MS Outlook 2010, including the contact photos. I have synchronised my SGS2 with my PC and all the contacts have copied up successfully, but all the contact photos are now in Gallery and I can't find the actual files on the phone. If I delete them from the gallery, will this also delete them from the contacts?

Yeah, it is like a different language. I had to install about 8 apps on my HD2 to get it running how I wanted, but WinMo was actually ok, if somewhat dated. Android is apparently much better so thought I'd give it a chance.
    Last edited by Midnight Rush; 04-07-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    No, you can delete from galley without affecting your Contact profile.
    Try doing one that you can recover if you want confirmation.
    If you no longer want to sync your contacts or any other items then go into settings > accounts and sync and choose the account and the items you want to sync.
    BTW there is a very good cloud app called Box - available from market to sync your files.
    Will sync automatically when on WiFi so a good backup.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Thank you Greenman for your help, much appreciated. I took your advice and as you say, it didn't delete it from my contacts. The problem has, I think, been caused by an app I installed called DejaOffice which allowed me to synch to Outlook (along with CompanionLink on my PC) - DejaOffice has its own contacts/calendar/memos/etc apps and the contact pic I deleted DID disappear from the contact in DejaContacts. I really don't like anything at all about DejaOffice - its way too basic and looks awful, but it did get my contacts onto my phone from Outlook. Can you recommend a better app to allow 2-way synch with Outlook, and also a good calendar app? I used to use SPB Mobile Shell on WinMo and am considering SPB Shell 3D for this device, so that I can tweak the UI a but more.
    Um, please forgive my ignorance but when you say "cloud app" what is Cloud and who operates it? How secure is it?

Achievements:
    Level
    It's always good to know how things went, so thanks for the update.
    Not sure of your requirements so will tell you what I chose for the items you mention.
    Beautiful widgets for the home screen look, and Go launcher for..... the launcher!
    Go launcher has loads of widgets, including good calendar that can be used as a home page.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information