How to back up contacts - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
Closed Thread

Thread: How to back up contacts

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    DNStuff is on a distinguished road
    Level

How to back up contacts

YES I am sure this question gets asked a lot of times so I am sure by now people have come up with a GREAT answer for it instead of just telling me to use google.

Trust me I have used Google. I find Apps like
    Backup Contacts
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...contacts&hl=en

which gets bad reviews and doesn't really seem to work.

I find a guide on how to save your contacts to your SIM card but it only seems to work on the Nexus S.

So here is what I want to do:
    I use a Galaxy S (i-9000) and I want to save my contacts to my SIM card or a file I can copy on my PC and copy it on other android devices OR save all my PHONE contacts to my google account if that is somehow possible because I want to buy a NEW android phone (that's why I guess Samsung's Kies with the option to back up contacts won't do the trick)

I am looking forward to any help.

Thanks a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    hazi1964 is a jewel in the rough hazi1964 is a jewel in the rough hazi1964 is a jewel in the rough hazi1964's Avatar
    Level
    Easy, while in contacts, choose import/export and select all and export to sim.

Alison

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic's Avatar
    Level
    Thats what I do too Alison.
    SGSIII
    Unlocked
    O2 Rooted

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DNStuff View Post
    YES I am sure this question gets asked a lot of times so I am sure by now people have come up with a GREAT answer for it instead of just telling me to use google.

Trust me I have used Google. I find Apps like
    Backup Contacts
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...contacts&hl=en

which gets bad reviews and doesn't really seem to work.

I find a guide on how to save your contacts to your SIM card but it only seems to work on the Nexus S.

So here is what I want to do:
    I use a Galaxy S (i-9000) and I want to save my contacts to my SIM card or a file I can copy on my PC and copy it on other android devices OR save all my PHONE contacts to my google account if that is somehow possible because I want to buy a NEW android phone (that's why I guess Samsung's Kies with the option to back up contacts won't do the trick)

I am looking forward to any help.

Thanks a lot!
    You can back up all contacts to your google account, make sure you have sync turned on. You can log into your google account via a PC to make sure it has synced to your phone.

Or from your contacts list on the phone select>menu>import/export>on the next screen you will have several options to choose from, if you want to back them up to sim select that or you can select export to SD card(the phones internal storage)this option will create a file that you can copy to your PC using the USB cable.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    DNStuff is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Option 1:
    When I go to Contacts - Import/Export - Export to SIM card : it says "No contacts" and "search contacts" so it seems like I would have to export each contact by HAND. I can't find any way to select all and EXPORT all???

Option 2:
    "You can back up all contacts to your google account, make sure you have sync turned on. You can log into your google account via a PC to make sure it has synced to your phone."
    Now Sync Contacts is enabled. How can I tell those contacts are in my google account now? I thought I could find them inside gmail or something. How do I check that with my PC?

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DNStuff View Post
    Option 1:
    When I go to Contacts - Import/Export - Export to SIM card : it says "No contacts" and "search contacts" so it seems like I would have to export each contact by HAND. I can't find any way to select all and EXPORT all???

Option 2:
    "You can back up all contacts to your google account, make sure you have sync turned on. You can log into your google account via a PC to make sure it has synced to your phone."
    Now Sync Contacts is enabled. How can I tell those contacts are in my google account now? I thought I could find them inside gmail or something. How do I check that with my PC?
    On your PC log into your google account, the same one you use on your phone. Once logged in, towards the top left look for Gmail, click on it and select contacts.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    alicepattinson is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by hazi1964 View Post
    Easy, while in contacts, choose import/export and select all and export to sim.

Alison
    yep, you can do this if you contacts are not too many

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiliamnlly View Post
    My phone does not have “Manage contacts” instead it has “import/export”. There is no option export to sim card. How can I transfer my contacts? I have to transfer them to Samsung hand set. Both handsets are having Blue tooth. Can any one help me?

I tried an app, it really works pefectly, but not free, I need a free app.
    There is no need to pay for software that backs up your contacts!

Contacts
    For me the easiest way to organise and store my contacts is to transfer them to Google, this way they can be synced at anytime from anywhere. Follow this procedure to import your contacts from your phone to Google.

Click on the Contacts application on your phone, then press the Menu button > Import/Export > select ‘Export to USB storage’ or ‘Export to SD card’.
    Selecting either option will produce a 00001.VCF file either on your phone’s internal storage or the external storage.
    Copy the file to your Pc using the USB cable, you could even email the file to yourself and pick it up off the PC.
    On your PC open a web explorer and log into your GoogleMail account. Then towards the top on the left (above the red ‘compose’ button) click on Gmail and then select Contacts. On the left, towards the bottom of the options, you will see ‘Import Contacts’ which you need to click on, a dialogue box will open up, press ‘choose file’ then locate the 00001.VCF file and import it.

You should now have all your phone contacts visible on Gmail. You can now organise your contacts how you want and merge any duplicate contacts. I personally deleted any contact which did not have a telephone number.

I then deleted all my contacts from my phone. To get the contacts back on your phone from Gmail, on your phone go to Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > tap on your googlemail account > then untick the contacts option and then re-tick it. Once the contacts option has been ticked again it will start to sync the contacts info.

Thread - A rough guide to backup your phone
    Last edited by RichH; 11-11-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    S3 (i9300) - AOKP 4.3
    Note 3 (N9005) - 4.3
    Nexus 7 (2012) - 4.4.2
    G+ Tuffinhio Mamoru

10. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Closed Thread

Thread Information