+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Data usage problem

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered
    Ashos84 is on a distinguished road

Data usage problem

Hi,

My girlfriend as just recently upgraded to the SGS and loves the phone, but is having a problem with how much data the phone seems to be using even when she is just using it for facebook and browsing the Android market. The phone also uses around 4mb of data over night when the phone is idle.

She calculated that she uses around 18mb of data a day without dowloading anything, just occasional facebook use and browsing, to me this is too much as if this happens everyday then she will go over the 500mb fair usage policy on her contract with Orange. I have an Xperia X10 and have never gone over 500mb in a month and I sometimes stream movies off youtube and download games etc.

Basically i just wanted to know if there is anything she can do to cut the data usage down while the phone is idle? any other tips would also be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ashos84

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic's Avatar
    Level
    18mb a day is actually quite high, I guess she must on youtube or downloading alot during the day. I think you should first find out what exactly how she used 18 mb a day and where she was using it. If she uses it indoors, see if you can connect to any Wireless network, that way, she can limit her 3g usage.
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy I9100 Unlocked/ Rooted
    Network: O2 UK
    Baseband version: I9100XXLPQ

Well she as been checking her data usage with Orange by ringing this number that tells you how much data she has left. And because it as been dropping fast she decided to check how much she had left and then check again before she went to bed, whilst she did this little test she didnt download anything and only used facebook, when she checked it before she went to be she had used 18mb.

there must be somthing running in the background continuosly even when idle, thats my guess but i dont know what.

Thanks for you reply.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic's Avatar
    Level
    Yes 18mb a day for just surfing FB is still too much. You can download task manager like Advanced Task Manager from Market to see what is actually running from the background.
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy I9100 Unlocked/ Rooted
    Network: O2 UK
    Baseband version: I9100XXLPQ

Licking windows
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker's Avatar
    Level
    Is she running Gmail sync? Calendar sync? Weather widgets?

Use a task manager to monitor the system like tiptronic said, and also you can use a network traffic counter like NetCounter http://www.appbrain.com/app/net.jaqpot.netcounter

If you can't find a culprit, uninstall applications one by one while monitoring data traffic until you find which app is the cause.
    Samsung Galaxy S ::: Insanity ROM ::: SanDisk 32GB microSD card

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    velo-girl will become famous soon enough velo-girl will become famous soon enough velo-girl's Avatar
    Level
    Hi. I strongly recommend using a task manager. There are a few good free ones in the market.

I have a friend that had the same problem with a different android phone. She's lucky her provider gave her a credit and extra mb's.

It's shocking how much is running in the background.

With a task manager, she can kill any apps after she uses them plus kill the random stuff that runs in the background.

Licking windows
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by velo-girl View Post
    ...kill the random stuff that runs in the background.
    This isn't Windows. Linux handles these things a bit differently. Task managers are good for ending tasks that remain running because of bad coding/bugs. But if you're going to start killing tasks wildly, you're only going to mess up the operating system in the long run. Use task managers for apps that behave erroneously, but don't use them to kill system processes at random. That makes Android a sad panda.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...-with-android/
    Samsung Galaxy S ::: Insanity ROM ::: SanDisk 32GB microSD card

Thanks for all you replies, I will try the solutions mentioned.

Orange have said they will see if they can locate what it is that is using the data after they get the first bill. And also said they will give her extra data if she goes over until she finds the problem so can't complain.

Anyway thanks again.

Junior Member vmoisa will become famous soon enough
    I am also "eating-up" about 20 MB per day and I DO control my backgroud applications. It is very easy to have such traffic because the phone is very fast and using Internet services is a breeze. Even a Webpage with many pictures and a YouTube movie embedded could easily make 20 MB.

Junior Member gvaley is on a distinguished road
    I got my SGS two days ago, upgrading from a defected Motorola Milestone. I woke up the morning after I got my SGS with a 25MB of traffic which I didn't use. I'm in the second day and over the 65th MB now, the phone eating traffic steadily.

I don't use my SGS any differently than the Motorola, but with the Motorola I rarely reached 150Mb per month. With the Motorola, I even installed apps from the market and browsed web sites' desktop versions without switching to WiFi. I had a corporate email account (Active Sync) always syncing.

On the SGS, nothing's running in the background, meaning that the phone's OS is eating up the traffic. Samsung put something over the stock Android OS that's not good. I'm dying to find out what. A bug maybe?

I also tried restarting the phone, that didn't help.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information