Menu and back button stopped working - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Menu and back button stopped working

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    chelshove is on a distinguished road
    Level

Menu and back button stopped working

Ive got a samsung galaxy s i woke up went on my phone and the menu and back button were unresponsive ive tried reseting it back to factory settings but they are stil not working they light up but dont respond can anyone help me ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Could be a number of reasons, really. Software or hardware.

Try turning off, removing battery for a few minutes, replace battery and turn on.

What was the last thing you did before it stopped working?

EDIT: Do you have the Vibrant GT-i9000M model? Entering *#*#2663#*#* into the dialler and updating the touch key firmware seems to have worked for a lot of people.
    Last edited by stonkr; 01-26-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    Triple Eye Pebble with extra added E=MC²:CF-Root:JKay Deluxe
    Slowly and surely viewing Oppo Find 7 with envious eyes...

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    abercookie is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by stonkr View Post
    EDIT: Do you have the Vibrant GT-i9000M model? Entering *#*#2663#*#* into the dialler and updating the touch key firmware seems to have worked for a lot of people.
    My boyfriend made the mistake of doing this when his touch keys worked fine. Problem is, that now they do not work at all, not even light up. He has done resets on the phone to no avail. Does anyone have an idea of what can be done to rectify this? Any help would be appreciated!

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman has a brilliant future greenman's Avatar
    Level
    Could try reinstalling original firmware.
    Look on sammobile.com for the firmware and install with Odin.
    Problem is you need to get the phone into download mode, so you may need to purchase a USB jig from eBay or other.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    SamI777fix is on a distinguished road
    Level
    My Samsung Galaxy S2 fell in water and after drying it out the bottom four buttons did not work.
    My issue was that the phone powered up, everything still worked BUT the menu, home, back, and search
    key did Not.

I tried downloading and flashing the firmware to the latest version but the buttons still did Not work.
    To fix it I had to take the phone apart, replace some hardware (Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II Charging Port with

Flex Cable) and clean some connections. Note I have the AT&T SGH-I777 Mobile Phone and the Samsung I9100

Charging port part works fine. If you have to end up replaceing the "Touch Flex cable" part then I would

order the one specific to your phone as the one for AT&T SGH-I777 and the I9100 are slightly different

looking.

If you did Not drop your phone in the water and it is still under warranty and hasn't been damaged
    by your own actions then I recommend having it repaired under warranty.

To determine if this is a DIY project for you there is a well made video on ifixit called "Disassembling

Samsung Galaxy S II Case, Mainboard, USB Port, Headphone Jack, Screen" that shows you the tools and steps
    necessary to make the repairs.

As I was repairing the "charging port with flex cable" when viewing the video you do Not need to remove
    the call vibrate module, secondary microphone, or head phone socket.

1. Grab a camera and take some pictures of what the inside of the phone looks
    like and where the parts, screws, and ribbon cables go while your disassembling the phone.

2. Remove the phone battery, memory card and sim card just to be careful.

3. Disconnect the screen ribbon cable, the ribbon cable near the secondary mic and vibrating module,
    the secondary camera ribbon cable, micro USB ribbon cable and the touch sensor keyboard flex cable ribbon.

4. Remove the two black screws, one near the secondary mic and vibrating module, the other is next
    to the touch sensor keyboard flex cable connector. These screws are for the main board.

5. Remove the Wireless antenna cable from the Charging port board and off the main board by prying
    them up.

6. Remove the two silver screws, on the Charging Port board. The board has sticky tape holding
    it in place on the bottom left and bottom right as well as near the end of the flex cable.
    Remove the Charging port board by either carefully prying the bottom left corner and bottom
    right corner while pulling the board to the left. (It has a small lip to the right of the usb port.)

7. Carefully remove the main board starting from the left and swing it over like a door as mine
    still had a cable or some sticky tape on it and the main board did Not need to be fully detached.

8. Continue removing the Charging Port board and flex cable remembering it has sticky tape
    near the flex cable connector.

** 9. My phone showed some corrosion on the "touch sensor keyboard board" chip near the
    flex cable connector. To clean this I used rubbing alcohol, and cotton swabs. You only
    want to get the cotton swabs damp and gently scrub the corrosion off, then drying the area
    with another cotton swab. **

If you see any other connectors that look corroded or dirty you can clean them the same way.

10. Install the new Charging port board and cable.

11. Follow these steps in reverse order to reassemble. (Note: When swinging Main board
    back into place make sure ALL the flex cable connectors are on top of the board and none

are going to be trapped underneath the board.)

12. Install the sim card, memory card, and battery and test.

## If the bottom row (Menu, Home, Back, and Search) keys still don't work it could be the
    Touch Sensor Keyboard Flex Cable. To replace this cable I advise you Only attempt if
    your are Skilled and can take your time to carefully heat, start removing and reheat the
    Touch Screen which is attached with double sided tape. You should realize that you could
    break the touch screen while removing which is a pricey replacement. ##

I purchased my parts from Parts4repair which is located in China. Note that with regular
    First Class Mail International shipping the delivery time can be from 4 - 6 weeks. This is
    due to the slow processing of International items by either US Customs or the United States
    Post Office.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SamI777fix For This Useful Post:

Banjaxed (02-10-2013)

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered3 months registered
    vickster is on a distinguished road
    Level
    mine was the same,if youve had it less than 2 years its still under warranty,send it back.if ya need the phone number let me know x

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered3 months registered
    vickster is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Ive just got mine back off samsung,theyve fixed it n even.put full new screen it.look brand ne now.well impressed d

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    alicepattinson is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by vickster View Post
    Ive just got mine back off samsung,theyve fixed it n even.put full new screen it.look brand ne now.well impressed d
    That's good to hear

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26
    sarendra is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hello SamI777fix,

I'm about to order the part and replace it myself BUT how can I determine which part I need to replace?

Charging Port with Flex Cable OR Touch Sensor Keyboard Flex Cable

I have the same problem as you. My Galaxy S2 fell in toilet bowl. Everything works except the 4 buttons on the bottom.

Thanks

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26
    sarendra is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Here is a software solution to this problem. It's an app. Name of the app is "Button Savior".

13. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information