[SGS II] Samsung Mail - emails disappearing after reading - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Mail - emails disappearing after reading

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassTagger First Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Schlez is on a distinguished road
    Level

Question Samsung Mail - emails disappearing after reading

Hello all,

My Samsung Galaxy S2 is running 2.3.5.

I recently switched my gmail account from IMAP to POP on my Samsung email app. However, as the title says, my emails keep disappearing after I read them and tell the server to look for new emails. I think the emails aren't deleted though because the Samsung Mail trash was empty.

I've tried deleting and recreating the account and I triple-checked that the option in Account Settings -> Incoming Server Settings -> Delete email from server was set at "never". Am I doing something wrong? I didn't have this problem when my account was setup as IMAP.

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry if I posted in the wrong section of the forum. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post these problems here or on the Samsung Galaxy SII User Help section.)

EDIT: I also noticed that if I check my emails through Windows Live Mail on my PC, the emails don't show up in Samsung Mail on my phone. This there a way to fix this too?
    Last edited by Schlez; 12-13-2011 at 08:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered3 months registered
    Tallis is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Known issue. Google it and you will see that it is a common complaint. Apparently, it is the way the Android OS is intentionally set. Same thing happened to me, pop3 mail account, using outlook on a computer as well as the S2. As soon as I would read the email in outlook, it would disappear from the S2. Set outlook to keep a copy on the server for 30 days, and the emails remained on the device.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassTagger First Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    I have the settings in Windows Live Mail set to "keep emails on server" (unlimited time period) and my settings in Gmail set to "keep copy in inbox".

Furthermore, it's not that the emails disappear from Windows Live Mail when I read it on my S2 and vice versa. It's that the emails disappear from my S2 after I read the emails on my S2.

In addition, if I receive emails on my S2, I do not receive them on Windows Live Mail and vice versa.

Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered3 months registered
    Level
    hmm, ok, I think I may have had it backwards, I think that when I read them on the S2, they would disappear from Outlook. I think that the S2 AND your pop3 mail both need to be set to leave the email on the server.

Achievements:
    Level
    I actually have everything set to "leave emails on server". My S2, Windows Live Mail and Gmail. When I read the emails on my S2, I can see them in Gmail through the browser but they don't appear on my Windows Live Mail at all and after I refresh my emails on my S2, they disappear from my S2 too.

Achievements:
    Level
    ok, it sounds like a live mail setting then. Is there a setting there to leave items on the server? Sorry, that's all that I can think of that is left to adjust.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Strumer is on a distinguished road
    Level
    This is happening to me as well - ever since I downloaded the latest upgrade - 2.3.6

Before then everything was smooth, now as soon as I get an email notification on my S2 I've got a few seconds to read it before it vapourises; no trace of it anywhere on the phone.

Furthermore, if an email happens to get to the phone before it gets to Outlook (just happened now while I was connected to Kies Air) the email won't be picked up by Outlook...

As above, all applications are set to save the emails after reading and the emails are all still visible at Gmail.

Frustrated...

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points
    johnjinsf is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I am experiencing the same problem with emails disappearing from my Galaxy inbox as follows :

Galaxy settings - Never Delete Emails From Server
    Download emails to Galaxy inbox, read them and leave them on the Galaxy
    Close Galaxy email
    Reopen Galaxy email and all OK - previously read emails still in inbox
    Close Galaxy email
    Open Thunderbird on laptop and download emails to inbox
    Thunderbird laptop settings - download emails to inbox and delete from server
    Open Galaxy inbox and all emails have disappeared.

Phone is at 2.3.6

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjinsf View Post
    I am experiencing the same problem with emails disappearing from my Galaxy inbox as follows :

Galaxy settings - Never Delete Emails From Server
    Download emails to Galaxy inbox, read them and leave them on the Galaxy
    Close Galaxy email
    Reopen Galaxy email and all OK - previously read emails still in inbox
    Close Galaxy email
    Open Thunderbird on laptop and download emails to inbox
    Thunderbird laptop settings - download emails to inbox and delete from server
    Open Galaxy inbox and all emails have disappeared.

Phone is at 2.3.6
    Ok, this one sounds like it can be resolved by setting Thunderbird to leave on the server. I have my Outlook (Pop3 email account) set to leave a copy on the server for 30 days and on the S2, incoming mail is set to never delete email from the server, The end result, it keeps everything in Outlook, 30 days worth on the droid and 30 days on the server.

Achievements:
    Level
    I've tried this already actually. The emails that are read in the in phone are not loaded onto Outlook and vice versa. Plus the emails keep disappearing on me after I read them on my phone.

(Alittle off-topic but it may help my problem. I'm wondering how people are upgrading their phone to 2.3.6. Is it only available in some regions? When I open Samsung Kies (latest version) it keeps saying that I have the latest version of firmware on my phone but I only have 2.3.5.)

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information