Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    sam8808 is on a distinguished road
    Level

Bluetooth module

Hey guys

The bluetooth module in the SGS2 is apparently capable of Bluetooth 4.0+HS. So why do the official specs mention Bluetooth 3.0+HS?

This article on engadget shows the insides of the Galaxy Note which they say has the same bluetooth module as SGS2.
    And this page on Broadcom's website says that this module is capable of Bluetooth 4.0+HS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Although Bt4 capable it has been limited, you can't really advertise as Bt4 as Bt4 can't be used.

Do you have any other devices that have Bluetooth 4.0 capability?

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Why limit it? I don't understand that. Why would a company add the latest hardware in their product and then limit its functionality?

Does gingerbread not support Bt4? Or the OS doesn't really matter?

If I'm not wrong, iphone 4S uses exactly the same bluetooth module as SGS2. And Apple is advertising Bluetooth 4.0
    Last edited by sam8808; 11-19-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sam8808 View Post
    Why limit it? I don't understand that. Why would a company add the latest hardware in their product and then limit its functionality?

Does gingerbread not support Bt4? Or the OS doesn't really matter?

If I'm not wrong, iphone 4S uses exactly the same bluetooth module as SGS2. And Apple is advertising Bluetooth 4.0
    You didn't answer my question, do you own any devices with Bt4.0???

Currently the iPhone 4s is the only phone to have Bt4.0, whether it has the same module as the SGS2 or not it still needs another Bt4.0 device to connect to.

My point is even if Samsung did clarify that the SGS2 has Bt4.0 you will only be able to connect to another Btooth device at 3.0 speed.

Can you also confirm what the bluetooth module in the SGSII is? As far as I know the iPhone uses OBI414 Bluetooth module but cannot find any clue as to what the SGS2 uses. I also believe the SGS2 may have the OBI411 module.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Nope I don't have any (other?) devices with Bt 4.0

See this article. It says that SGS2 uses Broadcom BCM4330. And this page on Broadcom's website says that this module is capable of Bluetooth 4.0+HS.
    This article on engadget says that Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus uses the same module as well. But again, they are advertised as having Bt 3.0

I'm not sure about older iphones but iphone 4S uses the same BCM4330 module. See here

I know data transfer speeds with Bt4.0 aren't any faster than Bt3.0. Bt4.0 just uses less power I think.

I don't understand why would a company not advertise their products with the best capabilities. If Samsung has limited the Bt module to 3.0, doesn't sound like a sensible thing to do considering their biggest competitor Apple is selling the 4S with Bt 4.0

Achievements:
    Level
    Yup, they are more energy efficient so you would save battery power when using btooth. Not at a PC will check the links you posted. if the device is capable of bt4.0 they should really allow it to, seems weired

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Cool Watch is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Does anyone know if Ice Cream sandwich allows the S2 to have Bluetooth 4.0?
    Or some other way of getting Bluetooth 4.0?

I brough a Casio G-Shock GT 6900, having read that it would work with my s2, and it doesn't...

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Watch View Post
    Does anyone know if Ice Cream sandwich allows the S2 to have Bluetooth 4.0?
    Or some other way of getting Bluetooth 4.0?

I brough a Casio G-Shock GT 6900, having read that it would work with my s2, and it doesn't...
    No, the SGS2 only supports BT3.0

edit: on both your posts you write 'brought a casio', it's 'bought' btw.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information