Is it possible to replace JUST the front glass lens and not the whole digitizer? - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it possible to replace JUST the front glass lens and not the whole digitizer?

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Alex_Glassman is on a distinguished road
    Level

Is it possible to replace JUST the front glass lens and not the whole digitizer?

Hi there, I'm new to this forum.

I recently bought a galaxy SII 2 weeks ago and today I accidentally dropped it on the floor and the front glass broke.

The actual LCD screen is intact with no dead/leaking pixels.

As a student, I'm very low on cash, and I need to know if it is at all possible (even if it requires extreme dexterity and/or determination) to replace just the front glass lens (a £5 repair) or if I have to replace the whole digitizer (an £80 repair). I've read somewhere that Samsung glue the glass to the screen? Is there any way to get around this?

I know it's probably been asked about before many a time, but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere despite hours of googleing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    It is possible to replace the screen yourself but it will not be easy....but I'm sure you're anticipating this. As you pointed out, you will have to separate the lens and digitizer by putting it in the oven (or somewhere warm) to warm up the glue.

Here's a link to the service manual which could help you.

XDA - How to Replace your Scratched Galaxy S2 Screen DIY - This link should show you what's in store.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Alex_Glassman is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Thanks for your reply!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy in the attached link was replacing the glass faceplate and the digitizer? At least, that's what he bought anyway?

If not, thank you very much - much appreciated

Also, do you have any recommendations on glue? I don't fancy whipping out my A-level product design textbook

Thanks

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    I've only read a couple of threads about taking apart an SGS, I haven't done this myself. Unfortunately I'm not sure which adhesive they use, if they don't mention it on the tutorial then it must be common knowledge....or at least more so then disassembling a smartphone

One of the threads I read ages ago did bring this subject up, not sure where it was mentioned though.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Peninsula is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi Alex, did you manage to replace just the glass, or did you replace the entire digitizer/screen? I've just broken the glass on my SGS2 by dropping it face down on the road Any advice? Thanks

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Peninsula is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hey all, to add my experience to this thread:

I decided not to do this myself after reading up on the potential difficulty of removing the glass from the AMOLED/digitizer. I rang a few repair places around London and received quotes of between £105 - £140. Many ebay sellers will sell you the entire front of the phone (incl bezel and home button) for £120 upwards, but these are not always Samsung branded, with no guarantee they are AMOLED, as opposed to LCD.

Anyway, after some research, I finally went with the "Geek Squad" at Carphone Warehouse. They replaced the entire front section for £80 all-in, which I thought was very good. They did it in about 30 minutes while I waited. No issues so far, and if something does go wrong with the screen I have recourse to a legit company.

As an added bonus this does not affect the manufacturer 2 yr warranty.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information