What Wireless routers Do You Use. - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Wireless routers Do You Use.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level

What Wireless routers Do You Use.

What routers does every one use and what sort of signal/coverage do you get around your house.

I have a D-Link DIR 615 which is only a few months old. I have trouble with the signal/coverage in parts of my house.

The router is upstairs in the middle bedroom, if I wonder into the front bedroom the signal drops to one bar on the phone and completely drops out in the third bedroom.

Downstairs in the middle room the signal is ok, the front lounge the signal is down to about one bar and in the kitchen and beyond the signal is lost completely.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    I have the same router and it's in my bedroom at the front left of my maisonette, guessing the length of the flat is about 30'. Outside my front door (9' away from router) I get 2 bars on SGS. Outside the backdoor (30' away) I get 1 bar facing away from the flat and 2 bars if I face the flat In the lounge (15' away from router) I get 2 bars.

I can detect the signal from the bus stop (60' to 80') away but it's not strong enough to use.

edit: 3 bar max signal on my SGSI, wifi graphic not modded.
    Last edited by Tufftoad; 10-05-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about
    Level
    I have a D-Link DSL-2740B which, stability-wise, is great. However, it's by my front door (using the master BT socket as should be the case ideally) and I used to have issues with the signal in my bedroom when using my Samsung Wave or Galaxy S. A lot of research reveals 802.11n in a mixed mode (i.e. with 802.11g kit) environment is pretty woeful.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I lost my mind. No, wait, that's not it... I got a DHP-W306AV home plug wireless AP kit for upstairs and I'm in 5 bar heaven! That and Virgin ADSL upgrading me to 20 Meg for free has made things much, much better. I highly recommend the DHP-W306AV for extending your wireless range.

Other things to note:

1. Upgrade router's firmware if available
    2. Use InSSIDer to detect which channels your neighbours use and ensure you are not competing (move to 1, 6 or 11 as appropriate or set router to Auto)
    3. DECT phones, baby monitors etc use 2.4Ghz too, so keep them away if your router is 2.4Ghz

I was looking at a 2.4Ghz/5Ghz dual band router but decided as the Galaxy S doesn't do 5Ghz and I have some 802.11g kit to support it wasn't worth it. Maybe when everything's been upgraded to 802.11n. Worth considering if you only have 802.11n kit I guess.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    I have a Netgear DG834G v3 connected to the BT Master socket which is in my living room.

I can get WiFi anywhere in the house, and anywhere in the front garden, but it drops off towards the far end of the back garden.

But my house is only 12 years old so doesn't have internal supporting walls. They are basically a structure made of wooden batons covered with plasterboards. I think that's why the WiFi signal doesn't degrade too much.
    Google Nexus 4 Android v4.3 Twitter : @1969guy Circle me on Google+

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 683
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    I use a Belkin router (don't trust netgear). In the 3 houses I visit (All with Belkin. Only one is mine), I get a signal all over the house with good connection speed. Not sure on the signal strengths.
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    theTimo will become famous soon enough theTimo will become famous soon enough theTimo's Avatar
    Level
    I use Buffalo. One is the main router, to which three more are bridged. I have a good coverage over my whole yard. But the main reason for having multiple devices is the usage of network drives. Well, one of the Buffalos is just a spare one, but it's still working and located in the garage.

They are oldish (WHR-G125 & WHR-G54S) G-series devices, but the Buffalos have very strong signals. And a couple of more are in the summer cottage. That area to be covered is much larger than the one at home. The signal strength is just amazing, even better with Tomato firmware.

So some flashing has taken place there too.
    SGS I9000 w. 32GB SD / 1800 mAh
    X-Bean 1.0 JB (4.1.1)
    I9000XXJVT / Devil3_1.0.4 (1200 MHz)

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    I've just flashed DD-WRT firmware on to the router, but that hasn't made any difference to it. I also tried the 200MB PLC PowerLine/Homeplug adapters, but couldn't get them to play nice with windows 7. May try another make at some point.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    theTimo will become famous soon enough theTimo will become famous soon enough theTimo's Avatar
    Level
    I tried DD-WRT too, but I think the biggest improvement comes with Tomato. DD-WRT was a bit too complicated to be used in my bridged routers. I think it was originally for Linksys hardware.
    SGS I9000 w. 32GB SD / 1800 mAh
    X-Bean 1.0 JB (4.1.1)
    I9000XXJVT / Devil3_1.0.4 (1200 MHz)

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    So last night I was trying to work out if this problem is with the router, phone or the custom rom I have been using.

So in my infinite wisdom I decided to flash back to stock firmware to see if that would help.

I decided to go with JVT as it's the latest version. I downloaded all the files from the post made by BarosanuXXL.

Wiped everything and put phone into download mode and flashed with odin.
    I don't know why but I rooted it with CF-Root for JVT even though this was just to see if the stock firmware is better for wifi.

Anyway set the phone up and tried the wifi, I'm sitting nearly on top of the router so should get a full signal, and yes it does.

As soon as I move away the signal starts to drop, front bedroom straight down to 1 bar, back bedroom nothing.
    Downstairs middle room 1 bar, were as before it showed 3 bars. Front lounge nothing, kitchen and beyond nothing.

All though everything works as you would expect on JVT the wifi is is absolutely rubbish.

So my task for today is to flash back to the custom rom I was on before. More fun and games.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    isaldanha is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi all at least Im not alone & someone has faced this before Ive had my s2 for just 10 days & I think it is fantastic although Ive faced a problem today & even after trying all the usual tricks like shutting the unit down etc The phone refuses to connect with the wifi.
    It has connected well for the last 10 days & even now shows as connected with excellent singnal strenght but I get no connectivity
    & yes if I switch on network data connection it works fine with that but not with wifi Ive also noticed that even once connected to a known wifi network the unit keeps scanning every few seconds
    Ive switched it off Ive deleted & added the wifi network & even then no connectivity Ive spent 2 hours doing all this & I cant undestand why this is happening especialy since it worked just last afternoon.

Please assist

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information