[SGS II] Problem Connecting with USB Cable - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem Connecting with USB Cable

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    woodman78 is on a distinguished road
    Level

Problem Connecting with USB Cable

I have my phone about 4 months. I connect it to USB in work to charge and was able to pull down the notifications to connect to the storage when I needed. I tried it today and when I plug in the USB cable I get "MTP Application" launching. It has a picture of a USB connection and it says connected for file transfer. In windows explorer my 2 drives (removable drives for phone and SD card) are gone and the camera is showing up. When I double click on the camera it brings me into my folders but then I can't access anything in the folders.

This MTP Application mentions KIES so I presume it is related to KIES Air.

Can anyone tell me how I remove this and get back to the way I had it before??

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Kies Air uses the internet and doesn't require a driver. The MTP application is used to connect to Kies on the PC via USB.

If you go Menu > Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings, there maybe an option to connect via USB.

Also, when you connect at home to your PC is Kies running the background or is the Kies sytem tray agent open?

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks Tufftoad.

Does that mean I need to install Kies on my PC? How come I didn't have to do this before when I connected my usb cable? And how did it get on my phone now?

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    You only need Kies on your PC at home if you want to sync music, contacts etc. Kies is also used to update the phone's system software (firmware).

If you do not have Kies installed at home then the MTP application should not be booting up. The MTP application has always been on the phone it's just never cropped up before.

Did you check under the options menu that I gave?

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Tufftoad,

When I go to the USB Utilities with the cable connected and press "Connect storage to PC", I get a window popping up saying "Attention: USB is connected. Remove the cable"

If I then remove the cable and press "Connect storage to PC", another window pops up that tells me to "Connect USB cable to use mass storage."

Achievements:
    Level
    Start with the USB cable removed from both PC & Phone. Go to the USB Utilities without the cable connected and press "Connect storage to PC", then insert the cable and see what happens.

If you still have troubles connecting it may be worth installing Kies just to update the USB drivers.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    No joy Tufftoad. When I plugged in the cable I got this message appear at the bottom of the screen.
    "PC connection only available in idle.
    Close running applications."

I went and stopped all running applications and then tried but no joy there either.

By install Kies you mean on the PC.

Achievements:
    Level
    Yup, installing Kies on the PC will also install USB drivers.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks I'll give it a go.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    theTimo will become famous soon enough theTimo will become famous soon enough theTimo's Avatar
    Level
    You say 'It has worked before'. Have you flashed a new ROM recently, that's usually the situation I recall that kind of a thing happening.
    SGS I9000 w. 32GB SD / 1800 mAh
    X-Bean 1.0 JB (4.1.1)
    I9000XXJVT / Devil3_1.0.4 (1200 MHz)

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information