Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points
    rl3384 is on a distinguished road
    Level

Data problems

Hi,

I got the samsung galaxy s2 yesterday and have tried to set it up, but I am used to quite a basic blackberry. I have 500mb of data to use each month. When I am at home I am connected to wifi (but have a laptop and internet at home so my phone isn't touched then) but I went into town today (an hour max) and my phone had eaten about 100mb! What's going on?! I have tried to google solutions but people just say 'turn off data when out' but what's the point of that, as that is when I need data! I don't use the internet an awful lot, I have 3 email accounts, fb (not very active) twitter and a few games. I just want it like my BB, where my emails come through and I get notified straight away and any fb activity too.
    Am I missing a trick here as 500mb has always been plenty for me, but at this rate it will last me a week, which is just not good enough!
    Any help would be apprechiated.
    (Can I just say I am clueless when it comes to terms so I have no idea what things like 'syncing' means etc!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Download an app called Droidwall. This lets you choose what apps are allowed to use the internet.

As for what's using all that data, you'll need to keep an eye out.
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered
    clax6 will become famous soon enough
    Level
    Maybe its pro rata and you started with less than you think?

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered
    clax6 will become famous soon enough
    Level
    Or maybe your phone has loaded updates like maps and flash etc

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points
    rl3384 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I downloaded that app but it says my product is not 'routed' therefore won't work. No idea what that means.

Today at work it ate 50mb in the space of 4 hours. I didn't go on the internet once during that time, no apps were open, the only things that were going on was that I had a few emails come through and fb was updating every 30 minutes or so.

I think it's something called Ap mobile or something that was on the phone when I first started it up, and I can't delete it off the phone, but I am worried that is running in the backgroud.

Does anyone know how I can stop that app and others from using my data at all, all i want is my emails really, and fb notifications, that is all!

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rl3384 View Post
    I downloaded that app but it says my product is not 'routed' therefore won't work. No idea what that means.
    You mean Rooted, look at the SGS dictionary (Bottom of my post) for a better idea

Also I forgot it mite of needed that

Today at work it ate 50mb in the space of 4 hours. I didn't go on the internet once during that time, no apps were open, the only things that were going on was that I had a few emails come through and fb was updating every 30 minutes or so.
    That is a lot.

I think it's something called Ap mobile or something that was on the phone when I first started it up, and I can't delete it off the phone, but I am worried that is running in the backgroud.

Does anyone know how I can stop that app and others from using my data at all, all i want is my emails really, and fb notifications, that is all!
    Read about how to Root, once that's done you'll be able deal with this better.

Try Juice Defender (Free version), not sure if it needs Root. This stops data to save battery but sync's every so often.
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    mark22 is a splendid one to behold mark22 is a splendid one to behold mark22 is a splendid one to behold mark22 is a splendid one to behold mark22 is a splendid one to behold mark22 is a splendid one to behold mark22 is a splendid one to behold
    Level
    Afraid you will need to root to freeze or uninstall ap mobile. There's several other things worth freezing to save battery (and data usage), have a read through the battery saving thread.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points
    McShave is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I may be talking rubbish here, (I don't have ap mobile) but, isn't it for wi-fi tethering?

If you can't turn it off in the wireless settings try looking in the tethering settings and make sure their isn't a tick in the box.

Sorry that's all I can think of.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information