I bought my Galaxy S2 on the 21st of July from Carphone Warehouse on a new contract (Panther 30). I've been with Orange for a few years now but it was time for an upgrade.
Ever since I've had the phone, I recieve duplicate txt messages from anyone who txts me. It could be Iphone users, Blackberry users, other networks, you name it. I even get multiple txt messages from competetions (you know, when you try win all that gear on The Gadget Show and they send a conformation txt acknowledging your entry). I can recieve up to 5-6 of the same txt message throughout the day (they usually come in quite quickly) and I can even get them days after me first recieveing the original.
I went back to Carphone Warehouse for their help but they suggested I rang Orange first to find out if it was a network problem or handset issue.
Orange were useless at first but then I got through to technical support team 2. An action was opened and so we tried different solutions.
1. Factory reset of the handset. Didn't work.
2. Put my SIM card into another phone (Samsung D500). Suprisingly this worked and I didn't recieve any duplicates the whole day, which indicated it was indeed a handset problem. We agreed that I should go back to Carphone Warehouse and get a new handset but if the problem continued then I should get back in contact with the same chap in techincal support team 2.
3. Went off to Carphone Warehouse. Got the new handset. Unfortunatly the problem remained. It actually got much worse!
4. Got back in contact with the chap at Orange and he could see on his system that there were error codes and that the recieved txt messages weren't recognized at being recieved, therefore would be sent again and again. All the information we had was sent off the tech boffins at Orange to see if they could think of a solution.
5. Finally Orange came back with an answer, which was that I should try a new SIM card (register it and everything). So they sent one, which has only arrived this morning (took 8days). I've recieved the Orange txt that should come within 24hours and then deleted it and turned the phone off. BUT NO! This hasn't worked either. I've already recieved duplicate txt messages from someone. Three of one, and two of another txt.
I usually have 3bars to full signal where I am so it's not as though poor signal is causing this. Everyone else in the house is on Orange too and doesn't have this same problem. I never did either on my old Nokia 5800. It doesn't just happen at home though. I could be anywhere.
I don't know if it would help but here is some more info:
Signal strength (right now), -83dBm 15asu
Mobile network, GPRS (there is no 3G around us so I turned it off).
Model number, GT-I9100
Android version, 2.3.3
Baseband version, I9100XXKE4
Kernel version, 184.108.40.206-I9100XWKE7-CL215725root@DELL103 #2
Build number GINGERBREAD.XWKE7
Sorry for the monster read but I know how important it is to give as much info as possible in the first post of a new thread.
I'd really appreciate some help. As you might be able to tell, I'm not a big techy but I'll try keep up.