[SGS II] SD Card not recognized - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SD Card not recognized

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassTagger First Class7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    TSellers is on a distinguished road TSellers's Avatar
    Level

SD Card not recognized

I purchased a 16gb micro sd for the phone. Copied files to it and inserted it into phone. When phone is connected to usb the card mounts and I can see it from the PC and copy files to it. When I try to browse the card from the phone, it is not found. I thought I had formatted it FAT32, but of I look at card properties in file explorer on the PC, it says 'File System: Generic hierarchical'. So I'm thinking perhaps it is not formatted properly. If I am to try another format, is it best to let the phone format it, or do it in a card reader on the PC first? I'm worried if I let the phone do it I may wipe my internal SD by mistake.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Try formatting it via the phone.

Make sure you make a backup of your internal sd just in case

Format External sd
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassTagger First Class7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    TSellers is on a distinguished road TSellers's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomed View Post
    Try formatting it via the phone.

Make sure you make a backup of your internal sd just in case

Format External sd
    Thanks for that. I did reformat it in a card reader to FAT32, but still not luck. I get nervous with the phone because under storage I see 'SD Card' and 'USB Storage'. It says total space for USB Storage is 11.50GB so I'm not sure what that is, it looks like the 'SD Card' is my removable one. I'm worried that if I accidently wipe my internal SD I may not be able to restore system or hidden files if I just have a copy of them on my PC., and not being rooted I guess I can't use Titanium.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TSellers View Post
    under storage I see 'SD Card' and 'USB Storage'. It says total space for USB Storage is 11.50GB so I'm not sure what that is, it looks like the 'SD Card' is my removable one. I'm worried that if I accidently wipe my internal SD I may not be able to restore system or hidden files if I just have a copy of them on my PC., and not being rooted I guess I can't use Titanium.
    If you take the micro sd out you'll know which one belongs to the phone I would help more but the custom rom I'm on doesn't allow me to see the space on my micro sd card

If you format you internal sd, it won't affect the phone system. As the system is on a different partition.

HD: 20GB Partition 1; C: 5GB (System). Partition 2; E: 15GB (Free space). When you format E that's all you will format, not C even though it's on the same disk. Hope this clears it up a bit.
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    jxtantillo is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I'm having similar trouble, I just got my 32gig Micro SD and my galaxy s2 read it the 1st time I put it in. Trouble is, I took it out and attempted to plug it directly into my computer using an external adapter for it and now when I have it back in my phone it's saying that the card is blank and that it has files that aren't recognized by it's system. There's also an alert that pops up when I turn my phone on saying that the date is encrypted and it needs to be formatted, but when I go into settings and format it on the phone nothing seems to be happening. I plugged it into my computer and my comp didn't even pick it up that it was in the system so nothing was put on the card, and now I have no idea what to do.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information