[How Too] How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 for new software - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 for new software

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points3 months registered
    stokesy23 is on a distinguished road
    Level

How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 for new software

Hi i have a samsung galaxy S2 and i was wondering how do i udate it for the the new software

Heres the details of what i have at the the moment

Model number - GT-I9100

Android Version - 2.3.3

Baseband Version - I900XXKDJ

Build Number - GINGERBREAD.XWKE2

I only have the phone 2 months so still gettin used to it but i would appreciate any help with telling me excatly how its done and what i benefit from updating

Thanks alot

Stokesy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    A lot of people use Kies to update their phone, have you tried to use Kies or are you looking for help to flash the phone manually via odin.

If you haven't tried Kies yet, download it and give it ago.

ps If you have trouble with Galaxy S2 you'll get more help here then you will at the UK Repair Forum.....hence name.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    ming is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tufftoad View Post
    ps If you have trouble with Galaxy S2 you'll get more help here then you will at the UK Repair Forum.....hence name.
    Well said that man!

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points3 months registered
    stokesy23 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tufftoad View Post
    A lot of people use Kies to update their phone, have you tried to use Kies or are you looking for help to flash the phone manually via odin.

If you haven't tried Kies yet, download it and give it ago.

i have kies downloaded om my laptop but i still cant the new 2.3.4 download

what do u think im doing wrong ????

is there any other way to get it ?????

by the way if it helps my phone is noot rooted

thanks for your help

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Firstly I would check Kies to see if Kies itself needs updating, sometimes you need the latest version of Kies to update your phone.

If you have the latest version of Kies and you cannot get the update then I would check with the network provider if they have approved the update. Which provider are you with?

Lastly if your Network Provider has approved the update and you still cannot update your phone, then I would flash the latest firmware manually. I flash new firmware on my SGS1 all the time and it's easy, there are always guides and people to help.

I won't offer help with flashing an SGS2 manually as I do not own the device, I'm still on the original 1.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    Marshmallow has a spectacular aura about Marshmallow has a spectacular aura about
    Level
    If you have the latest version of Kies installed, and Kies says your phone has the latest firmware when it's connected, then whatever you have currently is the latest firmware for your country and provider. I don't think Samsung have officially released 2.3.4 for the UK yet, for example. If you want to update the firmware to anything other than the lastest official release you will need to use Odin. Follow the instructions on the first page of this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassTagger First Class7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    TSellers is on a distinguished road TSellers's Avatar
    Level
    Kies says your phone has the latest firmware when it's connected,
    I've been able to see my Firmware is 2.3.3, but that's all I've accomplished so far. I see Kies Air and have used it. When I connect with the USB cable I get a Kies screen but cannot figure out where to go from there, all I seem to be able to do is browse phone. I see the note to update Kies before trying to update firmware, but I seem to be stuck at this point.

Thanks!

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    Marshmallow has a spectacular aura about Marshmallow has a spectacular aura about
    Level
    You can't update firmware with Kies Air, you have to be connected through the USB. Start Kies - if it says there is a newer verion, update it (or uninstall the original then reinstall from Samsung's website as I can never get updates to work). Then plug in the USB lead to connect your phone. When GT-I9100 appears under Connected Devices, click it then select the Basic Information tab. This will show your current firmware and tell you if you have the latest one, or offer the updated version if not. If it says you have the latest firmware, disconnect the phone and close Kies. Then use the link to the XDA thread I posted above to download the firmware you want to flash, download Odin, then follow the instructions to flash the firmware.
    Last edited by Marshmallow; 08-08-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassTagger First Class7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    TSellers is on a distinguished road TSellers's Avatar
    Level
    Start Kies - if it says there is a newer verion, update it (or uninstall the original then reinstall from Samsung's website as I can never get updates to work).
    Thanks for that. Actually this is the part that I do not seem to be able to come to terms with 'Start Kies'. I plug my phone in, and it seems to connect via Kies. But I don't get any messages telling me that there are anything, it appears to be a static screen that just tells me to press the Home button to disable Kies. I then can browse the phone, but that's about it.

I'd be happy to flash the firmware but I'm still uncertain there too. If I understand it correctly flashing will take me back to defaults, and I cannot really restore the applications and settings to where they are now because I can't use Titanium unless the phone is rooted.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TSellers View Post
    But I don't get any messages telling me that there are anything, it appears to be a static screen that just tells me to press the Home button to disable Kies. I then can browse the phone, but that's about it.
    Which screen are you talking about? Your PC screen or your Galaxy screen?

On your PC open Kies (not kies air).
    Insert the USB into the PC and then connect your phone.
    The MTP application will start up on your phone.
    Kies then syncs with the phone.
    If you can't see your phone model in the top left of Kies then you have issues with Kies.

Quote Originally Posted by TSellers View Post
    I'd be happy to flash the firmware but I'm still uncertain there too. If I understand it correctly flashing will take me back to defaults, and I cannot really restore the applications and settings to where they are now because I can't use Titanium unless the phone is rooted.
    There will be guides on this forum to help you flash new firmware. Just like a pc when you install a new version of windows all your 3rd party programs will not automatically be installed.

There are other programs which will help you restore your apps if you don't want to root. Rooting is easy.
    Last edited by Tufftoad; 08-09-2011 at 07:08 AM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information