[SGS] My text mesaages automatically comvert to multimedia ones if they're too long. Why? - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My text mesaages automatically comvert to multimedia ones if they're too long. Why?

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registeredTagger First Class100 Experience Points31 days registered
    petesavan is on a distinguished road
    Level

Question My text mesaages automatically comvert to multimedia ones if they're too long. Why?

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S and have recently noticed that if I try to send a text message that is longer than a certain length it will automatically convert the message into a multimedia one which is sometimes making it difficult for the recipients to read. Why does it do this and is there a way to prevent it from happening? All my text messages are free but my multimedia ones aren't. I am on the Eclair operating system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points
    WarCow is on a distinguished road
    Level
    How long is a certain length? The normal length of an sms is 160 characters, and the phone supports splitting your messages, so you can send longer messages that look like 1 single sms. But there is a cut-off length where it gets too long and it converts them to an MMS (which supports 1000 characters, i believe)

Sounds like your messages are extremely long (unlikely)..or your carrier doesn't support that splitting of long messages.

And what's up with the Eclair? Upgrade!

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registeredTagger First Class100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    One of the texts concerned was about 430 characters long but I don't know how to check the exact length at which it converts to a multimedia message. All my messages are all well under 1000 characters though. I am on 3 which has always supported splitting of messages on my previous phone, a Nokia N95 8Gb. As for Eclair I know I should upgrade but I've read too many horror stories on here about people trying to do it themselves and ending up wrecking their phones!

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered250 Experience Points
    genemuyot08 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hello!!! My Galaxy SII converts to SMS to MMS at only 90 characters? Can you help me extend it?

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by genemuyot08 View Post
    Hello!!! My Galaxy SII converts to SMS to MMS at only 90 characters? Can you help me extend it?
    Sorry, I have no idea how to do that but would welcome advice from anyone who does know how to do it. My phone is the original Galaxy S not the Galaxy SII so that's probably why there's a diference in the number of characters that can be typed before it converts to a multimedia message. Is there any advantage in it doing this I wonder?

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    Doc1964 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    My understanding is that this happens when a message is longer than three sms messages long. The only way I found round it on my old galaxy s was to use handcent app for messaging as this gave an option on this setting. This was a while ago but should be worth giving it a go. Good luck

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class7 days registered250 Experience Points
    John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H's Avatar
    Level
    I believe the latest Darky's ROM avoids the MMS conversion.
    I've got a headache and eyestrain ... one day all will be fixed!

SGS I9000 with Darky's ROM 9.5 still until they get call recording on a newer ROM

9. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information