I recently swapped my iphone for the Samsung Galaxy 2 as I was looking for something that was like for like but able to handle Flash and tethering.
The reviews for the Galaxy 2 were sensational so I decided to get one, even though my requirements were considerably less that the vast array of functionality that this phone seems to offer.
I am now beginning to miss the simplicity of the iphone because the Galaxy doesn’t seem to perform in the key areas that I need it to, which is extremely frustrating.
I have come on here for advice as it may be that it’s me that’s the problem and things can be resolved by changing settings etc.
My problems are as follows and any advice is greatly appreciated:
• I have set up googlemail on IMAP using the phone’s email client (as opposed to the actual googlemail app that is already pre-installed). With both options, however, email takes for ever to refresh (when manual refresh button pressed). This is to the extent that I regularly have to re-boot the phone as it just hangs indefinitely. The iphone never used to do this and it would load up any new email within seconds of you refreshing. I have configured the Galaxy for email, internet and MMS exactly as per the PDF instructions that were emailed to me by Vodafone. The server settings are set up exactly the same as they were in my iphone. I had read that the Galaxy doesn’t support the use of googlemail IMAP but it does work, just badly. The fact that the actual pre-installed googlemail app performs the same leads me to believe that the problem is that either the Galaxy isn’t too good at processing email, or perhaps it needs to be re-configured. It may indeed be that my unsupported IMAP configuration is causing a conflict? I’m sure that’s what Samsung would say if I gave them the chance so I’m really looking for a good work around without involving them!
• When forwarding emails with attachments it comes up with “fetching data” and just hangs. Sometimes when you press the back button it turns out the data has been fetched and the mail can then be forwarded if you try again. Most times you have to re-boot the phone though.
• The Facebook app doesn’t refresh properly. Say, for instance you receive a notification and click on it. When you click on the actual notification, the update doesn’t show, however it does show in the main news feed area of Facebook. Again no such problems with the iphone app.
• When I put the Galaxy in my pocket (in locked mode) it often overheats to an incredible temperature and switches it’s self off.
• When I put the Galaxy in my pocket (in locked mode) many of the settings have changed when I next use it. In particular the sound settings, which is very inconvenient because I need to have the sound off at work! Could I be pressing any of the phones physical buttons to make this happen and, if so, how do I deactivate them?
• The battery life is terrible. What settings can I turn off to improve this?
• Compared to the iphone again, the wireless signal strength is terrible.