Phone won't start up after rooting - HELP - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phone won't start up after rooting - HELP

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    sosullivan is on a distinguished road
    Level

Phone won't start up after rooting - HELP

Hi All,

Rooted my phone using ODIN and Superoneclick successfully. Then I started to freeze apps (only the ones suggested on this forum) in order to try and improve performance and battery life.

Unfortunately when I now switch on the phone never gets past the splash screen and neither of the soft buttons at the bottom work.

I have tried reinstalling the stock kernel via ODIN but no joy. Can anyone help me please

Seamus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    sosullivan is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Did a factory hard reset and the phone is back to the way it was out of the box. Next question - should I re-root the phone or just leave well alone?

Seamus

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold NZtechfreak is a splendid one to behold
    Level
    Boot into recovery and try factory reset from there, or flash a fresh ROM on there.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
    Boot into recovery and try factory reset from there, or flash a fresh ROM on there.
    You got beat

Yes, you can Root again. Just be careful on the apps you uninstall or freeze

This has happened to me before, I've removed apps that I've removed before to find out phone won't boot
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sosullivan View Post
    Did a factory hard reset and the phone is back to the way it was out of the box. Next question - should I re-root the phone or just leave well alone?

Seamus
    What happened to all your apps and settings? Did you lose them?

Getting root access will allow you to play with your phone relatively risk-free. When rooted you can use Titanium Backup, or MyBackup to backup your apps and their settings so you can restore them back to your phone at a later date if something goes wrong and you need to reflash or you get a new/replacement phone. You'll also be able to change other stuff you wouldn't normally be able to.

My advice, root and make several backups.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    Triple Eye Pebble with extra added E=MC²:CF-Root:JKay Deluxe
    Slowly and surely viewing Oppo Find 7 with envious eyes...

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    A note to add. You will not be able to back up system apps, only there data.

If you want to back up system apps, you'll need a Root file explore, then goto: /system/app. Mark the ones you want and copy them to where you want the backup
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points
    itsnoiphone will become famous soon enough
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sosullivan View Post
    Hi All,

Rooted my phone using ODIN and Superoneclick successfully. Then I started to freeze apps (only the ones suggested on this forum) in order to try and improve performance and battery life.

Unfortunately when I now switch on the phone never gets past the splash screen and neither of the soft buttons at the bottom work.

I have tried reinstalling the stock kernel via ODIN but no joy. Can anyone help me please

Seamus
    Where did you find the stock kernel?
    I've been looking for it with no luck.

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    mag1270 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by itsnoiphone View Post
    Where did you find the stock kernel?
    I've been looking for it with no luck.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278

10. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information