My IMEI number has changed!!! - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My IMEI number has changed!!!

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Krishan Modi is on a distinguished road
    Level

My IMEI number has changed!!!

Hey guys I just updated to the latest version of MIUI (mcgv6 from v5)

Initially, I couldnt access my external sd card because i had installed a stock JPY rom (wrong bootloaders).

So I tried to flash a safe base froyo rom (with speedmod kernal and correct bootloaders) onto my sgs using odin. I did this straight from having miui 1.6.3, and it didnt work... after the phone rebooted it took me to the recovery menu, where it said i needed to format the internal sd or something.

Then it came up with an orange exclamation mark in a white triangle next to an android robot.

I restarted my phone and tried to flash again but it odin froze, so I yanked the battery out after waiting... this resulted in Kernel failure (phone to pc symbol).

I could not access recovery mode but I could access download mode, so flashed stock jpy rom and it worked! then used the modified rom and then installed efs backup then the cm7 initial kernal. After formatting the system/data/cache as well as dalvik cache I installed MCGv6.zip.

It worked .... I can finally access my external sd.

HOWEVER, I couldnt get my network to work: SOS only

And when I go into advanced call settings, it says: Network or sim card error.

I checked my IMEI and it comes up with: 004999010640000

I know this had definitely changed, and as a newbie to this kind of stuff, has anybody got a comprehensive guide of what to do??!

I love this rom and my samsung galaxy s, and I just want it working again!!

Many thanks!

I installed efs backup.zip for my galaxy s
    Model: GT-i9000... Teamhacksung ICS Port all the way!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    By any chance did you make a backup of your EFS Folder
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    I dont think so.... I took my external sd out when doing all of this but left my sim in. When I first got MIUI I installed efsbackup.zip for galaxy s.

Is the efs folder on the internal sd card? How would I back that up??

Thanks for replying to my problem! What can I do??

By the way, would flashing back to stock JPY help in any way at all?

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishan Modi View Post
    I dont think so.... I took my external sd out when doing all of this but left my sim in. When I first got MIUI I installed efsbackup.zip for galaxy s.

Is the efs folder on the internal sd card? How would I back that up??

Thanks for replying to my problem! What can I do??

By the way, would flashing back to stock JPY help in any way at all?
    Sorry to tell you this dude, but without an EFS backup, it makes it very difficult to get your original IMEI back.
    Some hackers claim to be able to change the IMEI but will never release the information due to it being completely illegal.

Look in your efs folder dude, can you see a nv_data.bin + nv_data.md5 ?

If you can, try this first, rename the nv_data.md5 to nv_data.md5.old, restart the phone.

Check in /efs folder, if the nv_data.md5 is recreated then should be good. If it isnt, you may have to go down a more drastic route.

Backup your current EFS folder onto your computer.

Now on the phone;
    Rename nv_data.bin to nv_data.bin.old
    Rename nv_data.bak to nv_data.bin
    Rename nv_data.bak.md5 to nv_data.bak.md5.old
    Delete nv_data.bin.md5

Reboot into recovery and clear cache partition, reboot, and hopefully you should have your old IMEI back.

If it doesnt work straight away, you may have to go to eclair JM1 to do it. Best firmware for this kind of recovery.
    Last edited by Pidz; 06-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Hacked; Xbox 360, PSP, PS2/3, Nintendo DS/Wii, ZTE Blade, Motorola Xoom, Sony Xperia, Viewsonic M900S, HTC Desire/Desire HD/Sensation, Samsung Galaxy SI/SII/SIII

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pidz For This Useful Post:

Krishan Modi (06-12-2011)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    If it did get backed up it may be on the sd card. The real efs folder (which contains your IMEI No.) will be at < /efs >

As for trying to restore IMEI No. with your backup, I'm not to sure. If you don't have a backup, I'd think your bugged but others may have had solved this problem.

Will flashing to JPY help? It may or may not, sorry I can't help as I haven't faced this problem yet, Well I don't think I have anyway

I'm sure somebody may be of more use than me so far

Edit: See I type too slow and I get beaten with a better answer
    Last edited by Doomed; 06-12-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doomed For This Useful Post:

Krishan Modi (06-12-2011)

Achievements:
    Level
    Hey guys, I flashed back to JPY (single file - no 512 pit) and on reboot it came up with a load of errors. On recovery screen, I formatted everything, wiped the partition and formatted the internal sd. Rebooted the phone and everything was fine.

Tried to get MIUI again, and as soon as I got it, my IMEI number changed back to that dodgy 000.... one.

Wanted to stay with stock rom now, so connected to Kies and tried to look for an update. However, when my phone is connected, no prompt for an update appears, and it doesnt come up with my current firmware version.

So I typed in *#1234# and it came up with:

PDA: I9000XXJPY
    PHONE: I9000XXJPY
    CSC: Unknown
    Build Info: 2010. 12

Went to the CSC settings by typing *#272*IMEI# and it came up with XEU in a grey box (that I couldnt edit), and a dot that i could turn green underneath - this didnt have a csc option next to it though, and when i clicked on the dot it said CSC must be three letters.

Need to select a csc for Kies to recognise my phone..... how do I do that??

I think Kies is the best way to go without my IMEI number changing again, and with my csc being unknown, Kies wont let me update.

Help on this matter.

Thanks.

(From a guy who's lost all confidence in using his phone - sticking with stock roms and Kies)

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    jimc130 will become famous soon enough jimc130 will become famous soon enough jimc130's Avatar
    Level
    Wow, you are having some problems trying to get MIUI! I haven't used MIUI for some time but as I recall the IMEI getting screwed was usually down to an incorrect flash, but all you had to do was flash back to Froyo and IMEI would be restored. I use CM7 now, any issues I face, my last resort is to go to Froyo and I always use EZbase, I find that to be a great recovery rom.
    If I were you I would try flashing EZbase, then you can flash again to whatever rom you want to from there.

With your MIUI problems, did you ask on the XDA MIUI thread? probably the friendliest thread on XDA. Thats where you should go to get MIUI help.
    SGS I9000
    Rom: Teamhacksung's ICS Port for Galaxy S
    Android 4.0.3

Achievements:
    Level
    Hey jimc130, you're telling me!!! Can't believe how many problems I'm having. Im a newbie to all this stuff, but still I followed the instructions!

I'm on stock JPY, my kernel is 2.6.32.9 root@SEP-51 #1

As mentioned above, I just want to stick to stock roms from now on (or at least for the immediate future). When I type in *#1234# it comes up with the information as given above. What worries me is that the csc is: unknown. Is this why I cannot update to gingerbread (JVO) via Kies??

Would it be ok to flash to JVO without my IMEI changing like it does when I try and get MIUI ROM??

If I did flash to JVO using Odin, would I just flash by selecting PDA, or would I need to add a 512 pit file and click repartition as well.... I'm not sure when a PIT file is needed!!!?

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions by the way!

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    jimc130 will become famous soon enough jimc130 will become famous soon enough jimc130's Avatar
    Level
    I just had a look at the new installation procedure for MIUI. You no longer need the galaxy efsbackup.zip. This is incorporated into the rom. So all you need is the froyo with correct bootloader (EZbase also has correct bootloader) to be flashed via odin, the CM7 initial kernel to be flashed via odin (uncheck auto reboot!) then format system/cache/data via CWM, then flash rom via CWM.
    Following these steps should give you a clean install. Then to update version format system/cache then flash. Always make a nandroid backup before updating!
    SGS I9000
    Rom: Teamhacksung's ICS Port for Galaxy S
    Android 4.0.3

Achievements:
    Level
    Hey jimc130, that's exactly what I've been doing! Ive only ever done efsbackup twice... once today which may have messed everything up!

Errmm... to be honest, Ive already tried it and its changing my IMEI number and causing me way too much hassle! And sorry, but what is EZbase??

As I said, I just want to go back to stock gingerbread, and if my csc is unknown and thus not letting update via Kies, how would I flash from JPY to JVO??

I just cant afford for my IMEI number to change again!!

14. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information