[SGS II] Speaker and mic problem when calling someone. - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speaker and mic problem when calling someone.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Juhloz is on a distinguished road
    Level

Speaker and mic problem when calling someone.

Heys,

Just got my Galaxy S 2 a couple of weeks ago and everything is almost working perfectly…

When I am calling someone the phone sometimes does not turn on the speaker and mike. The call always goes through no trouble with that at all.
    The phone is ringing to whoever I am calling, but the one I am calling cannot hear me and vice versa. I noticed that every time I make a call that actually works and goes through without any problems, the phone makes a little dialing sound and then I can hear it is ringing with the normal ringing sound. When the call does not work, the dialing sound and I am not able to hear anything, I can however see when the person I am calling answers the phone because the phones shows the small clock indicating how long I have been talking to person. So the problem lies in both the mike and the speaker because the one I am calling are not able to hear me either.

I tried to see if I could provoke the problem so that I might be able to send it in for a repair, but the mistake is very random and comes and goes as it pleases. Sometimes it works perfectly for days and other times it makes the mistake many times in a row.
    I tried to test the phone to see if I could solve the problem by calling my girlfriends phone. At one time the mike and speaker actually started working 30 seconds into the call by just pressing all the buttons I was able to… but it only worked that one time.

Does anyone have an idea towards what this problem might be and more important - how do I fix it?

/Lars

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Mickelove is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I have the exact same problem!

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    danyjr is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Yeah, I have the exact same problem. I can hear everything, but the person on the other end of the line can't hear me.

That's when Speaker is on only. And the microphone thing is not faulty as I can record stuff on the Voice Recorder.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    d.macg-yo is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Another S2 user suffering from loss of in call audio. Have noticed it happening after using a Samsung bluetooth headset but could just be coincidence. Also, has anyone else tried playing a video after the fault becomes apparent? I if I try to play a video file recorded by the philomena own camera then I get something along the lines of 'cannot play file'. Also handset does not make any tone when adjusting ringer volume. So it seems to be a software fault with the sound processing? Very annoying to have major errors occurring in a basic requirement of a phone.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered
    David Jewison is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I am having the exact same issue. I don't believe it's a hardware issue as 95% of the time the bottom microphone is working OK. In addition, I have also had my bluetooth headset working perfectly and then randomly during a call, the person on the other end cannot hear what I am saying, but I can hear them just fine.

Let's find out what handset and firmware everyone is using. I am using a Bell Canada Samsung Galaxy S II running firmware I9100XXKG3 2.3.4 (GINGERBREAD). I have not rooted the phone. Upon receiving the phone, I immediately updated to this firmware in order to get Google Talk with Video on my phone. I have never used the phone with the stock firmware.

Eager to hear from others.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points
    david632 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Ive had this issue too, tried to call someone, phone appeared to be working but dident have any sound , thought it might be my connection but i had 4bars, this continued everytime i tried to make a call untill i switched on Flightmode and switched it back off, then phones speaker seem to work again . very odd!!

Achievements:
    Level
    Since we're all doing some diagnosis here (see my comments above regarding the firmware I am using), I also wanted to chime in about Noise Cancellation. Yesterday, I read several posts on the XDA forums that noise cancellation may be the cause of these issues. Today on a couple of phone calls (about 5-7 minutes in length), my speaker again stopped working during the call. Full connection and the timer kept going. I disabled the Noise Cancellation immediately upon accepting the call but the speaker on my end still stopped working about 4 minutes into the call. When I hung up and called again, the caller told me that they could hear me clearly on the other end saying "Hello", but obviously I could not hear them.

So it looks like based on my recent experience that Noise Cancellation is not the culprit. I think that this is a software bug that disables or resets the speaker and/or mic during a call during another software process.

Thoughts? Let's hear from others.

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 37
    CaptainJack69 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to report my experience here. Hopefully Samsung watches this space and will do something as a lot of people seem to be reporting problems with their SGS2's.

The fault as I am experiencing it is with the mic only, I can here them fine, but they can't here me. When I ring someone, or they ring me, either way it's the same. Sometimes they can't hear me from the beginning, sometimes it's fine for 60-90 seconds but then the volume gradually fades down, reaching zero after about two minutes. Sometimes, rarely, there's no problem at all and I can have a normal conversation. The problem is not limited to call functions, exactly the same problem appears in the voice recorder app also.

The problem is not network related, the SIM is fine in other phones. I am not using any kind of case, so it's not that. I am not holding the phone in any kind of "death grip" so it's not that either.

Deactivating the "noise reduction" function in-call appears to make no difference to the fault as described.

I don't know if it is related but I have also experienced a strange affect with the audio from the speaker, although not in-call. Sometimes the audio stream when watching video falters and after that I can here the music in the video, but no audio at all. So it's like a weird equalizer issue. The same thing happens in my Cardiotrainer app where my music comes through fine but the audio feedback is inaudible. Like I say, I don't know if this is the same issue or not.

I have just tried a full factory reset from the Android boot screen (accessed by holding down the 3 buttons during device boot) and not allowed the device to restore any data at all. The device is now completely clean out of the factory setup, and the problem persists exactly the same as before.

Model number: GT-I9100
    Android Version: 2.3.3
    Baseband Version: I9100DXKF1
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-I9100DXKF4-CL310100 root@DELL101 #2
    Build Number: GINGERBREAD.DXKF4

Achievements:
    Level
    CaptainJack69,

Thanks for providing as much detail as possible, including the scenarios where the problems kick in. Hopefully other users will chime in with detailed information as well.

I will run my phone through similar paces as you have and will report back on whether I am experiencing similar issues. I encourage others to do the same. My next hypothesis is that perhaps this is some sort of power management logic kicking in that is closing software and hardware threads such as the mic and speaker.

I will also look up the email addresses of Samsung Korea technical support and send them a copy of this thread. It's good that we're being proactive.

I absolutely love this phone. Samsung just needs to address these pesky bugs and then it will be close to perfect.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 28
    lovin4g is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Call out and they cant hear me unless I am on Speaker... Sucks... I need to get this fixed ASAP!!!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information