How to transfer music from PC without using Kies - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to transfer music from PC without using Kies

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points
    Tolstoy is on a distinguished road
    Level

How to transfer music from PC without using Kies

I've been asked by a relative to transfer some mp3 music files from my PC (Win 7 Professional 64-bit SP1) to his Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570. As I'm trying to keep the number of programs on my PC to a minimum I'd prefer not to install Kies but simply move the files across directly. A search on this forum confirmed that this is possible.

I downloaded and installed on my PC the Samsung Galaxy USB Driver for Win X64 from Softpedia. On the phone I went Settings -> Wireless & Networks – Tethering & Portable Hotspot -> USB Tethering and put a tick in the box.

My problem is that I do not see how to proceed from here. Nothing seemed to have happened. I looked in Windows Explorer but there was nothing new except once when a folder called Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570 (with an empty sub-folder called C) appeared, apparently from nowhere.

So, how do I proceed form here. In fact, am I going up a blind alley and should be doing something completely different?

In some posts I noticed a reference to Mass Storage Mode but, unfortunately, there were no details of how to find it. Is this what I need?

Any help gratefully accepted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    First things first, this forum is for the Galaxy S. But lets see if we can help you.

The best way to transfer music and video's to the phone is in mass storage mode. You should have a USB cable to start with.
    On the phone you need to set it to mass storage, now I don't know if this is the same on your phone as the Galaxy S, this is what we do: settings>wireless and networks>USB settings>in here you will have 3/4 options, select mass storage mode, tap the back button to get back to your home screen.
    Now plug the USB cable into your phone and PC, if the drivers are installed properly you should get 1/2 explorer windows pop up, 1 will be the phones internal storage the other will be the external sd card if you have one in the phone.
    You can now drag and drop files to either the internal or external storage of the phone.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about Professor Yaffle has a spectacular aura about
    Level
    Tethering is using your phone as a modem, so that's a tree you should refrain from barking up...

To connect in Mass Storage mode, you should hopefully see USB Storage under Settings --> Wireless and Network. Under that menu there should be a Mass Storage option.

Does the phone display anything once you connect the USB cable to the PC?

Professor Yaffle

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Apparently, so they say down the pub, the Galaxy Mini GT-S5570 is very similar to the Galaxy 5.

5 is very similar to S.

Therefore the Galaxy Mini GT-S5570 is very similar to the Galaxy S.

No worries.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    Triple Eye Pebble with extra added E=MC²:CF-Root:JKay Deluxe
    Slowly and surely viewing Oppo Find 7 with envious eyes...

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks for the replies. I assumed that this would be the right forum but I now see that, despite having an S in it, the Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 is not the same as the Galaxy S! Obviously you need to keep a clear head when dealing with Samsung names! Do you have a sister forum that deals with the Galaxy Mini - I couldn't see one offhand? A bit of googling gave me one at Android Forums - would you recommend it?

Getting back to my specific problem, I can get Settings and then Wireless & Networks, but in this there is no mention of a Mass Storage option, only the USB Tethering that I mentioned so it looks like, drilling down to this depth, that there is a difference between the 2 phones.

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Forget the tethering thing, put it to one side and place a doily over it.

From the Samsung website, I found the following in the user manual for the mini-me...

Connect as a mass storage device
    You can connect your device to a PC as a removable disk and access the file directory. If you insert a memory card in the device, you can also access the file directory of the memory card by using the device as a memory card reader. The file directory of the memory card will appear as a removable disk, separate from the internal memory.
    1 If you want to transfer files from or to a memory card, insert a memory card into the device.
    2 Using a PC data cable, connect the multifunction jack on your device to a PC.
    3 Open the shortcuts panel.
    4 Select USB connected → Turn on USB storage → OK.
    5 Open the folder to view files.

Et voila. Mini-me is connected and available to copy all manner of interesting stuff.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    Triple Eye Pebble with extra added E=MC²:CF-Root:JKay Deluxe
    Slowly and surely viewing Oppo Find 7 with envious eyes...

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolstoy View Post
    A bit of googling gave me one at Android Forums - would you recommend it?
    I've used that forum for some other Android phones, you may also want to try Xda forums
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by stonkr View Post
    Forget the tethering thing, put it to one side and place a doily over it.

From the Samsung website, I found the following in the user manual for the mini-me...

Connect as a mass storage device
    You can connect your device to a PC as a removable disk and access the file directory. If you insert a memory card in the device, you can also access the file directory of the memory card by using the device as a memory card reader. The file directory of the memory card will appear as a removable disk, separate from the internal memory.
    1 If you want to transfer files from or to a memory card, insert a memory card into the device.
    2 Using a PC data cable, connect the multifunction jack on your device to a PC.
    3 Open the shortcuts panel.
    4 Select USB connected → Turn on USB storage → OK.
    5 Open the folder to view files.

Et voila. Mini-me is connected and available to copy all manner of interesting stuff.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm OK up to you step 2 - I assume you mean connecting the USB port on the Samsung to the USB port on my PC using the cable supplied by Samsung. However, I'm stuck at your Step 3. What exactly do you mean by the shortcuts panel?

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomed View Post
    I've used that forum for some other Android phones, you may also want to try Xda forums
    I'll give the Android forum a try in that case.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    shawna is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I have followed all the steps on this boar for mass storing music. but my phone still says there is no music on usd card

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information