Wifi connects but internet doesn't work - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wifi connects but internet doesn't work

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered
    goonface is on a distinguished road

Wifi connects but internet doesn't work

the phone will connect to the router, but the internet will not work at all.

the browser displays "web page not available".

i've tried changing all the router settings, upgraded firmware etc.

factory reset the phone... still no joy.

help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class3 months registered
    dcoales is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I get this too from time to time. The wifi tells me it has a solid signal but the data connection doesn't work. I haven't managed to work out how to reliably fix it - I usually reboot the router and phone and keep my fingers crossed. It usually sorts itself out after a while. One thought I had was that it might be due to the phone temperature as the only time it fails is when I've been using it a while and the phone is quite warm. After I've left the phone alone a while and it's cooled down things usually work again. However I realize this is very non scientific and probably just superstition :-).

So, although it's not very helpful, my only advice is to wait and see if it sorts itself out - after rebooting everything of course.

7 days registered
    i've rebooted and changed settings til the cows come home.

not once has it ever worked.

i guess i need to try it on another router. if there is still no joy i'll take the phone back.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic's Avatar
    Level
    Do you have other wireless device which can connect to your router and prove that the internet is working from your router? This way we can at least take the router out of the list. Also when you say internet is not working, is it just the browser? Can you access to market or receive email through wifi?
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy I9100 Unlocked/ Rooted
    Network: O2 UK
    Baseband version: I9100XXLPQ

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class3 months registered
    dcoales is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Right now my SGS tells me it has a solid wifi connection (Signal Strength: Excellent, Speed: 72Mbps, Security: Secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK). However, whenever I try to access a web page in the browser I get: "Web page not available". Works fine over 3G. My laptop connects to the same wifi router and has no problems. The same problem exists in all apps on the SGS. I've tried maps, british rail journey planner, browser and springpad and all report data connection errors. However, FeedR somehow manages to connect and update the rss feeds - BUT it does it very slowly. I wonder if it is ignoring the wifi and using 3g underneath.

Interestingly when I flicked flight mode on and off the wifi worked again, but only briefly. Switching in and out of flight mode a second time did nothing, nor did rebooting the phone.
    Last edited by dcoales; 07-21-2010 at 09:29 PM.

7 days registered
    in the end i went into somewhere with open wireless and it worked.

went a purchased a new router - and it worked fine.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered
    poco is on a distinguished road
    Level
    FYI. I have started getting this issue with 3 SGS phones on my network. Initally all worked fine but now one by one they don't work, same issues as above. Tried numerous different things to rectify but none worked except for if you assign your phone a static IP address. Just remember to turn off the static IP setting if going to a nother network.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information