[SGS Custom Rom] Darky's ROM 9.5 observations - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Darky's ROM 9.5 observations

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class7 days registered250 Experience Points
    John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H's Avatar
    Level

Darky's ROM 9.5 observations

There seems to be no specific Darky's 9.5 thread of observations so I thought It'd start one.

I'm on Orange in the UK and was on JP8 FROYO 2.2, so went from JPU to JPY using Odin and CF-Root 2e recovery ROM manager and CW mod recovery and went to Darky's ROM 9.5 from the zip selecting the Voodo kernal and the default options apart from selecting grey menu icons with the Darky's configurator application. So...

*#1234#
    PDA : I9000XWJS8
    PHONE : I9000XXJVE
    CSC : I9000XXJS1

I did have a momentary glitch with the first text notification continuously playing the default notification tune until I pulled down the notification bar but that never happened again. 9.5 also boots up saying 9.4 by the way but it says 9.5 in settings.

I also recalibrated the battery and got 1% per hour on standby - much better!

Since then it's been great; nice and fast amd I can hammer the internet or GPS without having to recharge before bed time. Even the battery full notification is quiet enough not to wake me at 2am! Ahhhh.... bliss!

Yesterday, however, I was in a poor signal strength area and noticed something strange: I had a full signal strength indication but no data connection (no GPRS icon). Doing a manual operator search showed O2 as the only operator (I'm on Orange). Back on automatic I was still getting a steady full signal strength indicator! Previous phones always showed no signal in these circumstances, with the signal strength only momentarily blipping up during a search. I re-entered a good signal area about two hours later and data worked again but I noticed the battery had plummeted from ~60% to 26% and the battery useage stats said half display and half cell standby. Should I be changing the modem?

I've not installed the lagfix yet. Some recon the ROM is fast enough but has anyone found the lagfix improves the speed, smoothness or battery?

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by John-H; 04-03-2011 at 06:04 PM.
    I've got a headache and eyestrain ... one day all will be fixed!

SGS I9000 with Darky's ROM 9.5 still until they get call recording on a newer ROM

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Jim will become famous soon enough Jim will become famous soon enough
    Level
    To be honest, it could be to do with the T-Mobile/Orange integration going on. My signal in Cardiff has been pretty weird, and some days even though the phone says it has signal, I dont get any texts or calls off people until I send a message or make a call that day... then I get a string of missed call messages and texts. Very annoying. I'm also on Darky's 9.5 btw. My housemates have HTC and Blackberry, both on Orange, and both having the same problems with signal at the moment so it may not be your phone.
    Galaxy S GT-I9000 // Darky's ROM v10.1 //

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class7 days registered250 Experience Points
    John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H's Avatar
    Level
    That's a thought but it didn't find the T-mobile network only O2 - so it said. There is some talk on the Darky's forum about power problems in low signal areas with people changing the modem but nothing definitive I could see and it may have been country specific.

At the time I tried sending some texts to my friend who was with me who was on O2 but they didn't get sent but her test texts to me did get sent, although I didn't receive them. It was only when I re-entered a better signal area that her texts came through and my data started working again.
    Last edited by John-H; 04-03-2011 at 06:12 PM.

SGS I9000 with Darky's ROM 9.5 still until they get call recording on a newer ROM

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    I have posted a thread somewhere about the bootanim if you want to change it to one that says v9.x

I haven't had any issues with the signal, but v9.5 is using the real gingerbread modem, so it wouldn't suprise my if there were a few probs. You could flash a modem seperately via Odin if it was becoming a problem.

I can't find anything wrong with v9.5, I love it. I'd be suprised if this isn't the last FroYo-based ROM Darky does. I think from now on it will be GB. Of course, I might be wrong
    Google Nexus 4 Android v4.3 Twitter : @1969guy Circle me on Google+

Achievements:
    Level
    Hi Goots,

I found this: http://www.darkyrom.com/community/in...ning-9-5.1869/

They are talking about using the JL2 modem as a fix.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    Ah so it looks like there is an issue when the phone can't find a signal I guess

I probably haven't noticed that because I get pretty much full bars on o2 wherever I go around here.

Achievements:
    Level
    Yes, it was when it showed me a steady full signal which wasn't my operator that I thought something was wrong. Do you think there are any other issues flashing JL2 modem - was that the one in Darky's 9.3?

Achievements:
    Level
    I might try it tomorrow just to see what happens

In the mean time, I just flashed a new Kernel (Dark Core v1.2) - MORE INFO HERE - which gives 339Meg of RAM, Voodoo Sound 7, fixes the bootup glitching screen and future-proofs for OTA Darky updates

I'll let you know how I get on with the JL2 Modem flash.

EDIT: OK I'm on the JL2 Modem now. Everything seems fine at the moment. I'll give it a couple of days and see how I get on before reporting back.

EDIT: See my post later in this thread about this.
    Last edited by Goots; 04-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    I just put on 1.2 Dark Core Kernal now too - much better that the glitch is no longer there and 339MBytes RAM does inspire more confidence

You probably need to try out the modem in a weak signal area to test for what I saw but knowing it works normally in a good signal area is probably more important for general use.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Cicinho is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Anyone having problems with the standard music app? Sometimes when I go to play my music it says the format is not supported, even though it was already playing that music a few hours before. If you turn of the phone and on again and then it plays...

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information