Virus officially found on Android operating system - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Virus officially found on Android operating system

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level

Exclamation Virus officially found on Android operating system

I just read this story from BBC news...

Android hit by rogue app viruses

...this reinforces the idea that you should always check permissions before installing an app, even though I doubt this would help if the app included malicious code. I would like to see an explanation of why each permission was needed on the developer page, rather than just a statement saying "Requires full internet access" or whatever.

A few things we need to think about...

1) There is no guarantee (or proof) that the anti-virus apps currently available are able to remove these threats, or for that matter if they are even capable of detecting them. I haven't seen any test results anywhere but I'd love to read about it if someone knows where there are some.

2) We should all learn now how to re-install our firmware, whether it be replacing it with a custom ROM, or just re-installing the official operating system because currently, according to a couple of sources, that is the only way to be completely sure you have removed the virus. Of course those of us who are used to flashing new firmware are more than capable of this, but we need to be prepared to give help to people who might get into trouble.

3) Only ever install apps from the official Android market and not from any third-party websites or sources. If possible check out the associated developers page.

4) Be careful and observant about which apps we install. Do you really need that app that generates farting noises when you shake your phone? Really?

It was inevitable that malicious code would find it's way to Android. The operating system is simply too successful and widespread for it not to be looked at by criminals. The main thing to remember at the moment is don't panic, and be vigilant when installing new apps.

EDIT: More info IN THIS ARTICLE. - Thanks to HappyH for the link.

EDIT: THIS ARTICLE is also well worth a read.

EDIT: HERE IS A FIX for the current exploit, you may need an XDA account to view it.

There is word of a (possibly) worse exploit in circulation. Some apps have been stolen (as in the above stories) but these have been modified, recompiled, converted into Latin, then scrambled. All we know is that they have initiated a countdown. A countdown to what exactly is anybodies guess. So far, the experts have been unable to unscramble (and thus decompile) the apps, so we do know that something will happen to infected devices, at some point in time, but we don't know what or when.

It's great to know that Google jumped on the known malicious code within 5 minutes of being made aware of it, taking it off the market and (apparently) removing it remotely from handsets - I didn't even know that was possible! Unfortunately, removing the offending app won't remove any additional code it has installed.

But we can take some comfort knowing that Google are aware of a situation, and no doubt have raised their security level accordingly.

EDIT: List of known malicious apps (04/03/11) - with thanks to AndroidPolice (http://www.androidpolice.com)

The offending apps from publisher Myournet:
    Falling Down
    Super Guitar Solo
    Super History Eraser
    Photo Editor
    Super Ringtone Maker
    Super Sex Positions
    Hot Sexy Videos
    Chess
    下坠滚球_Falldown
    Hilton Sex Sound
    Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
    Falling Ball Dodge
    Scientific Calculator
    Dice Roller
    躲避弹球
    Advanced Currency Converter
    App Uninstaller
    几何战机_PewPew
    Funny Paint
    Spider Man
    蜘蛛侠

Over 30 more have been found by Lookout:
    Bowling Time
    Advanced Barcode Scanner
    Supre Bluetooth Transfer
    Task Killer Pro
    Music Box
    Sexy Girls: Japanese
    Sexy Legs
    Advanced File Manager
    Magic Strobe Light
    致命绝色美腿
    墨水坦克Panzer Panic
    裸奔先生Mr. Runner
    软件强力卸载
    Advanced App to SD
    Super Stopwatch & Timer
    Advanced Compass Leveler
    Best password safe
    掷骰子
    多彩绘画
    Finger Race
    Piano
    Bubble Shoot
    Advanced Sound Manager
    Magic Hypnotic Spiral
    Funny Face
    Color Blindness Test
    Tie a Tie
    Quick Notes
    Basketball Shot Now
    Quick Delete Contacts
    Omok Five in a Row
    Super Sexy Ringtones
    大家来找茬
    桌上曲棍球
    投篮高手
    Last edited by Goots; 03-04-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Update
    Google Nexus 4 Android v4.3 Twitter : @1969guy Circle me on Google+

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Goots For This Useful Post:

gary (03-04-2011), stonkr (03-04-2011), Swipermusic (03-04-2011), tiptronic (03-04-2011), Tufftoad (03-15-2011), winkle79 (03-04-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic's Avatar
    Level
    I saw that Goots and was going to ask your opinion on the antivirus apps, they seem hit and miss and one detected superuser as a virus I heard. They wont tell us what apps are involved which is a pain, that guy who noticed the app was on the ball.
    SGSIII
    Unlocked
    O2 Rooted

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Goots View Post
    ...you really need that app that generates farting noises when you shake your phone...
    OMG OMG OMG!!!! Where can I get this app, it's ssoooo cooooool. OMG. LOL. ROFL. OMG!!!

Sorry.

Had a moment there. Fine now. Serious business. Yes. Virus makers. Bunch of baskets.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    Actual lol at that post

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    HappyH will become famous soon enough HappyH's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipermusic View Post
    They wont tell us what apps are involved which is a pain
    I've seen a list of apps allegedly involved elsewhere but not sure how reliable it is. Didn't want to start a panic on here if it ain't confirmed.
    HH.

Edit: found the source rather than where I saw it. It's on a website so it MUST be true
    Source
    Last edited by HappyH; 03-04-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Samsung Galaxy S Darky's v8.0 Gingerbread Edition JPY, Rooted & Voodoo Lagfix.
    Unbranded on T Mobile UK.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HappyH For This Useful Post:

Goots (03-04-2011)

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic's Avatar
    Level
    Thanks HappyH, very informative, and scary!
    SGSIII
    Unlocked
    O2 Rooted

Achievements:
    Level
    *BUMP*

Original post updated

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    andy-roid is a jewel in the rough andy-roid is a jewel in the rough andy-roid is a jewel in the rough andy-roid is a jewel in the rough andy-roid's Avatar
    Level
    All you have to do is be careful of what you install on you phone all ways double check no need for a antivirus
    galaxy s3 i9300XXBLG6

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures250 Experience Points
    Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski's Avatar
    Level
    Yep, this shows why you should think twice before you install pirated copy of software on your phone, I personally decided not to do it, can afford £3 for something I like, and so far nothing I needed was more than a £5
    Samsung Galaxy Note

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by andy-roid View Post
    All you have to do is be careful of what you install on you phone all ways double check no need for a antivirus
    If you see an app you fancy on the market how can you check it doesnt contain a virus?
    SGSIII
    Unlocked
    O2 Rooted

14. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information