Galaxy S Internal Memory Problem - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galaxy S Internal Memory Problem

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    mystii is on a distinguished road
    Level

Galaxy S Internal Memory Problem

Ok, so this happened a few weeks ago now, but I've only just got around to trying to sort it out.

So, I got the Galaxy S i9000 at the beginning of December 2010. I installed quite a few apps, and always downloaded the updates. My internal SD Card got down to around 2.2GB, and my Internal Phone Storage got to 1.62GB. (I also have a 16GB external SD card with 473MB remaining, but I don't think that's relevant). Anyway, aabout a month ago, I downloaded Angry Birds from the market, but it was taking a LONG time to download. It was doing like, 1% every 5-10 seconds, whereas it usually downloads really quickly). So I cancelled the download, and tried re-downloading it a few hours later. This time, the download happened fast, and it successfully installed.

Cut to a few weeks ago...

I opened my camera (I save my pictures to the phone SD card, not my external SD card), and it came up with a message saying "Warning: Not enough memory". Before this, in the corner where it tells you how many pictures you can take/save, I know for a fact that it was WELL over 2000. Now, all of a sudden it went down to 0, and that warning message came up. So, I went in and checked my memory, and under Internal SD Card, it said 0.0GB free. I have NO idea how I lost 2GB of memory, and I have no idea how to get it back. I uninstalled some apps, deleted a lot of photos, cleared my Downloads folder, but I can still only ever get it up to around 50MB or below.

Can anyone explain what went wrong? Or how to get back the GBs that were lost? I'm really not very technical minded, and messing around with phone setting generally scares me, incase I break it even more! So if anyone has any clear advice that will help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Also, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but since this memory thing started happening, I've had to charge my phone a lot more. Before, I'd only need to charge it once every 24-26 hours. Now, I need to charge it every 14-16 hours. I've tried optimizing the power by turning the brightness way down low, putting the screen timeout to 15 seconds, turning on power saving mode... but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. That mostly only buys me an hour or 2 of extra power.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mystii; 02-20-2011 at 11:57 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Have you tried formatting your internal SD card?

1.) Connect phone to a PC, do a backup of everything on the internal SD.
    2.) Go to Settings -> "SD Card and ..."
    3.) Unmount internal SD card
    4.) Format Internal SD
    5.) Connect again to the PC and copy back everything to the phone memory/internal SD.

fake Mọderator
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd's Avatar
    Level
    ahh, are you by any chance on android 2.1? anyway the ROM and memory arent the same thing, the ROM is a section of memory allowed, i think its around 2gb or somewhere around that. you my friend are full of apps.. you must have a ton dang.. if youre on android 2.2, you should try downloading one of the many a2sd (app to sd card) apps, it will basically move your app over to your sd card. but if your sd card is getting full that will be trouble too.. anyway i suggest you try that

as far as the battery goes, if your system is low on memory it has to work harder to move data around (it has less free space to move things in), that could be it.. but im only guessing
    .____________...___________./l、
    ...add me [= .......____________...(゚、 。 7
    .......h3artlessjerk@hotmail.com .  l、 ~ヽ
    .............._______________............... じしf_, )ノ

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Here are some more details:
    I currently have 58 apps installed.
    I had 48 emails in googlemail, 43 with picture attachments.
    I use the internet on here a LOT. I always leave wifi turned on, because I use it so much.

I just deleted all of my emails, but the Internal SD Card is still saying that I only have 2.91MB of room; exactly what it said before I deleted them.

Oh, I'm using Android 2.1, by the way. I'm not interested in upgrading to 2.2 right now. :}

This is exactly what I'm seeing, under SD Card And Phone Storage...

External SD Card
    Total Space: 14.83GB
    Available Space: 473MB (This is right - It's a 16GB card, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 32GB card, lol)
    Unmount SD Card
    Format SD Card (greyed out until I unmount the SD card, which I know is normal)

Internal SD Card (This is where apps are installed to, right?)
    Total Space: 5.78GB
    Available Space: 2.91MB
    Unmount SD Card
    Mount SD Card (greyed out, because it is mounted already, lol)
    Format SD Card (greyed out until I unmount the card)

Internal Phone Storage (This is the RAM, right?)
    Available Space: 1.63GB

Now, I know that I haven't used up 5GB worth of space with apps, because before I downloaded Angry Birds, my Internal SD Card was saying that I have 2.2GB of space left. Then all of a sudden, it dipped to the space that I have now.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Ok, so I cleared the Data and Cache for the Internet, and after that, the Internal Phone Storage said 1.64GB, instead of the previous 1.63GB. The Internal SD Card amount stayed the same.

I deleted some pictures from the DCIM folder, cleared the internet Data and Cache again and also done something in recovery mode (volume up key + home key + power key), but I have no idea what! My original intention was to do a Factory Reset (or whatever it's called), but I think I took my finger off one of the buttons too early. Instead, I got a message that said something like 'Rebooting phone', and then the phone went through the usual startup. Everything was still on there (apps, messages, contacts etc), so I know that I didn't actually do the factory reset.

Anyway, after all of that, the Internal SD Card amount said 120MB -that's the most it's said in weeks. So, I then went ahead and deleted 5 apps, but instead of the amount of room going up, it went down. It now says 103MB. Which, is obviously better than the 2.91MB that I had the other day, but it's still nowhere near the 2.2GB that I did have.

Would a Factory Reset help me with this situation? If it would, how do I go about it (step by step would be very helpful), and how hard is it to do, for someone that doesn't know a lot about the technical side of phones?

7. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information