Phone won't text or call but internet data works - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phone won't text or call but internet data works

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered
    Kovala is on a distinguished road
    Level

Angry Phone won't text or call but internet data works

My girlfriend bought me the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 for Christmas. I put my 3G Sim card into the phone from my old handset. I found I couldn't send or receive texts or phone calls but I can access the internet without Wifi as normal. Weird?

My simcard is Orange and the Galaxy handset was purchased from Orange.

We went into an Orange store, thinking they'd be able to sort out the problem. The woman in their fiddled with the settings but ultimately was confused and had no idea and really was of no use, she gave us a number to call but it was just the Orange helpline. We went into the store a second time and the guy in their said we'd probably be better off calling a Samsung helpline. I came across this site and thought somebody might be able to help me with my problem or point me in the right direction.

Note: Wifi works fine and all other phone functions.

I'd really appreciate the help as my girlfriend spent a lot of money on the phone and I'm carrying around two phones all the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    It might be your sim card, so get orange to send you a new one. While on the phone to Orange ask them to go through the settings with you.
    Have taken the settings for you from my phone. To check them Go to >menu>settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks>Access point Names. You should have Orange UK & Orange UK MMS.

Here you go.
    Orange UK Internet
    Name. Orange UK Internet
    APN. orangeinternet
    Proxy. NOT SET
    Port. NOT SET
    Use Name. NOT SET
    Password. NOT SET
    Server. NOT SET
    MMSC. NOT SET
    MMS Proxy. NOT SET
    MMS Port. NOT SET
    MCC. 234
    MNC. 33
    Authentication Type. PAP
    APN Type. internet

Orange MMS
    Name. Orange UK MMS
    APN. orangemms
    Proxy. NOT SET
    Port. NOT SET
    User name. NOT SET
    Password. NOT SET
    Server. NOT SET
    MMSC. http://mms.orange.co.uk/
    MMS Port. 192.168.224.010
    MMS Port. 8080
    MCC. 234
    MNC. 33
    Authentication Type. PAP
    APN Type. mms
    Last edited by Richardj; 02-13-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Achievements:
    Level
    Hi Richard,

Thanks. I'll try getting a new Simcard as you suggest. I don't think there's anything I can do with the settings that the people at the orange shop didn't try.

Achievements:
    Level
    I'll give those settings a go. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    Just check them against the ones I posted for you, at least you'll know if there right or not. If you do have to change any of them, make sure you tap on menu and then save before you exit the settings screen, other wise it wont save any of the new settings.

I had the same problem with Orange giving me the wrong settings, so worth a try.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information