Samsung Kies will not connect to phone, any suggestions? - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Kies will not connect to phone, any suggestions?

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Jim will become famous soon enough Jim will become famous soon enough
    Level

Samsung Kies will not connect to phone, any suggestions?

My Galaxy S is plugged in, I have chosen to connect to Kies on the phone, and Kies has installed on my laptop. Kies attempts to connect, then decides 'Drivers need to be installed - preparing for driver insallation'.

The progress bar stays at 0% and then after 5mins the driver installation bar vanishes, and the phone has still not connected.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could figure out another way to get the photos from my phone to my laptop. My laptop has no bluetooth, and whenever I connect the phone under 'Mass storage mode', although the laptop recognises that a mass storage device is plugged in, whenever I click on the new 'phone drive' a message says 'please insert disc'. I also do not own a micro SD card at the moment, or have a slot or adaptor for one on my laptop.

Never had any of these problems doing simple things with my trusty C902!
    Am I missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Bill Bones is on a distinguished road
    I have the same problem running Windows 7. I have turned off automatic connect when device is connected. I then connect the phone to the pc wait for it to say connected then launch Kies.

It's a pain but does work

Know Pain
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    SNAK3ATER is a name known to all SNAK3ATER is a name known to all SNAK3ATER is a name known to all SNAK3ATER is a name known to all SNAK3ATER is a name known to all SNAK3ATER is a name known to all SNAK3ATER's Avatar
    Level
    Hello Jim and bill welcome to the forums guys and I hope you enjoy your stay with us

to be honest when I first bought my phone I had the exact same problems like you I was eager to put some pictures and videos on my SGS to see how it looks on the Super-AMOLED screen but the stupid kies was not recognizing my phone and after several tries I was able to find a solution to my phone so here it goes:

1- go to settings->about phone->usb settings-> and choose kies connection then reboot your phone and PC just to be on the safe side

2-after the reboot connect your phone to your PC WITH the usb cable that CAME with your phone (the first time I used my old phone's usb but didn't work and when I used the new cable that came with SGS kies was able to recognize my phone)

3- look at your phone's screen and check that if it's connecting to kies (should be a blue menu that say kies connected).. your kies will open automatically and will search for phone to update and install necessary drivers.. give it some time

4-if kies is taking no response or doesn't update drivers you can manually update drivers by clicking on kies on the top left of the program-> Driver recovery then wait for the program to install drivers

5- congrats now you can use kies to transfer music and other data to your phone (it may require you to reboot the PC after driver installation so do it)

6-now you can also connect your phone to your PC using mass storage mode (after driver installation) all you need to do is go to settings->about phone->usb settings->choose mass storage

7-then connect your phone to your PC by usb cable and then open the notification page (drag it down) on your phone and choose usb connection-> mount SD card

8-now you're good to go..when you finish everything open the notification page and select usb connection->turn off usb before disconnecting your phone

hope that helps and fixes your problems guys and if you need any help feel free to ask me here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SNAK3ATER For This Useful Post:

Sibboz (07-17-2010)

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10's Avatar
    Level
    Wow thats one in depth answer. I'm suprised so many people are having trouble with Kies, it all seemed to work really easily for me, downloaded, installed, ran Kies, connected phone (or other way round: connect phone, run Kies) and it works fine.
    Maybe some people are hitting the home key by accident after connecting as this takes it out of Kies mode or maybe just rushing the whole thing and doing something wrong or too many things at once?

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered
    emailtosimon is on a distinguished road
    Hi Guys

I have followed what SNAK3ATER posted on the forum, however, I still can't sync my phone.

when I connected my phone to my PC (windows XP) it will start up Kies (I downloaded the latest version 1.5.1.10071_32. Then Kies started up, my phone will go crazy for 10seconds with flashing between the home screen and a USB sign. Then the Kies screen will say "Driver needs to be installed. Preparing for driver installation..." then just freeze there.

I have installed the drivers manually like you said.
    I tried to connect my phone as USB storage device, but the same problem happened.

what do I do? please help!

thanks

Simon

Junior Member Tricky103 is on a distinguished road
    I was getting the same problems as Simon on my work PC yesterday. I tried to reinstall the drivers, this didn't work. So I reset my phone, now I am getting the usb connected sign but not any MTP Connection,I have come home to my home PC and it is exactly the Same. I do have a 4 gb Micro SD card cluttered with music from the first time I used Kies, last week.

Junior Member akaVintz is on a distinguished road
    I have this problem too.

Both my wife and I have the SGS and I have installed the latest version of Kies on a laptop and two PC's. I can only get these device to connect to Kies approx one in three times to any of the installs I have and for the most part I either get a USB malfunction error on each device or Kies just spends an age trying to connect to device! I assumed that this Kies solution was just a really badly designed piece of software as this problem is consistent across operating systems and devices.

Sometimes I get the device connected and start to sync music only for the device to drop out and Kies is again trying to detect the device!

I have just been speaking to a colleage and he too has this problem.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    tory33 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I just can't seem to get my phone to work with Kies. I have been getting error messages, telling me that my phone can't back up my contacts & it's foreclosing whatever I'm trying to do. I've been back to orange several times with this & they suggested that I see if i can update my android software. I can't see anyway of doing this, so thought I'd try and download Kies again (I have tried this before, but uninstalled it when it crashed my laptop). I can't get my phone to connect to kies. so I can't back up anything to it, or download music onto my phone. I've tried the suggestions above. but am still having problems. Any other suggestions? or do I just give up & live with the problems for the next 15 months or so before my contract is up?

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class7 days registered250 Experience Points
    John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H is a jewel in the rough John-H's Avatar
    Level
    With Kies supposedly installed so the drivers are at least installed, try going on your phone to settings > applications > Development > and tick USB debugging. Then back out to the home screen and plug in your phone to the PC. Pull down the drop down screen and click USB connected (select to copy files). The green android should appear > click Connect USB storage and the android shoulg go orange.

You should then be able to see the phone as a USB device using Windows Explorer and copy files on and off. Look in DCIM for your pictures. Be careful not to delete anything important. Kies isn't that good. I never use it now, but then again I'm rooted on a custom ROM.
    I've got a headache and eyestrain ... one day all will be fixed!

SGS I9000 with Darky's ROM 9.5 still until they get call recording on a newer ROM

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    StevieBee is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hiya.. My trouble started when I updated (Via Kies) To Froyo. (It worked before but not with the updated Kies which I read was a problem with Windows7 64 bit altho' the original kies worked with Win7 64bit)I was issued with a new phone already factory installed with Froyo and still it doesn't work. I have trie3d all work around and many more. I have now bought a program called MobilEdit which thank goodness at least does phone numbers, pictures and video. But I cannot download any upgrades ..eg Gingerbread, as you need Kies to do that. If anyone has got a new idea since the last suggestions I would be extremely grateful. I think that people power should be used with Samsung to make them sort out this and other problems as it seems that they are not interested.
    Steve

13. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information