Failed to run firmware upgrade: unknown error. - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Failed to run firmware upgrade: unknown error.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered
    xstarbuckx is on a distinguished road
    Level

Failed to run firmware upgrade: unknown error.

Hi Im new her as well as new to the SGS im having problems with 2.2.1 update via kies.
    It tells me that theres an update for my phone so i run it, it gets to 100% then tells me Failed to run firmware upgrade: unknown error.

Sorry if this has been asked before and any help would be great thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registered3 months registered
    Stuart Baron is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Try this link and see if that helps, its another way to update the firmware.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=835628

It might also be worth considering if you dont minbd losing all your stuff and dont use a backup tool:
    going into recovery mode (turn phone off then - Hold : Volume Up, Menu Button and Power Button until it powers up) then clear the cache, wipe internal SD, factory reset...

then try the new Kies and update - this might clear any faults and let the firmware update happen.
    Last edited by Stuart Baron; 01-19-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered
    xstarbuckx is on a distinguished road
    Level
    thought id gotten somewhere then tried it on my oc running Windows 7 (was using laptop on xp before) it got further but now failed entered rcovery mode now stuck on the galaxy s loading screen
    ..........as I was typing the phone booted now it has the 2.2.1 not looking a gift horse in the mouth.................I almost had an heart attack

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by xstarbuckx View Post
    thought id gotten somewhere then tried it on my oc running Windows 7 (was using laptop on xp before) it got further but now failed entered rcovery mode now stuck on the galaxy s loading screen
    ..........as I was typing the phone booted now it has the 2.2.1 not looking a gift horse in the mouth.................I almost had an heart attack
    First boot after flashing takes a little longer Its even worse on a slower phone
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered
    Jason Sparrow is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Seems to be a common theme that this process isn't neccessarily as easy as it could be. I'm in the uk using Kies 2 on Vista to upgrade my Orange on firmware 2.1-update 1 to whatever is the current latest JP1 to JG8. However every time I try to upgrade the phone disconnects from Kies plus a windows error box. I get a message of 'plugin' followed by a bunch of 4 or so strange (japanese or Korean? apologies for my ignorance) symbols as an explanation from Keis.

Am I being a Div? I have tried switching the various systems on and off, and have tried the setting from some of the other applicable threads about kies problems. It's probably something somple I'm missing, can you help. Jason (Martini Henrie)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sparrow View Post
    Seems to be a common theme that this process isn't neccessarily as easy as it could be. I'm in the uk using Kies 2 on Vista to upgrade my Orange on firmware 2.1-update 1 to whatever is the current latest JP1 to JG8. However every time I try to upgrade the phone disconnects from Kies plus a windows error box. I get a message of 'plugin' followed by a bunch of 4 or so strange (japanese or Korean? apologies for my ignorance) symbols as an explanation from Keis.
    My understanding is that Windows 7 generally causes problems when connecting usb devices (at least phone related devices). The process is easy, it is not well explained the majority of the time, usually directed at people with a moderate amount of mobile customising experience. One of the reasons why I centre on this forum.

As for being on Orange I believe they are in cahoots with Samsung, who have there self sold their soul to the devil. I advise anyone on Orange to read up on how to update and maintain their phone.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered
    Jason Sparrow is on a distinguished road
    Level
    It turns out it wasn't Vista or Kies at fault! My broadband had gone belly up and was losing a lot of packets, which has now been sorted. In the meantime I went to a free wifi zone and got the firmware there. I like the changes, but there are some new frustrations to work on to get used to it. Still juddering a bit, but a lot better in general.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information