Detailed guide on rooting the Galaxy S - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailed guide on rooting the Galaxy S

fake Mọderator
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd's Avatar
    Level

Detailed guide on rooting the Galaxy S

arrite aciduzzo, this is for you:

how to root your phone (for beginners)

theres two methods, this first one is the one i suggest, its the easiest, and doesnt require any programs on the computer. first download this file

update.zip for Galaxy S
    update.zip for AT&T Captivate
    update.zip for T-Mobile Vibrant
    update.zip for JP1/JP2 2.2
    it should be named update by default, if its not rename it "update". dont get update.zip confused with update.zip.zip, the file by nature is a zip, so adding a .zip in the name will only cause trouble (update.zip.zip). it should appear like this:

*do not unzip this file, it should remain in .zip format at all times.
    now that you have your update file, you need to move it to the internal memory of your phone ('internal SD card'). dont let this term fool you, 'internal SD card' has nothing to do with your Micro SD card, its just the way android refers to their internal phone memory (8/16GB internal storage).

theres a few ways to do this, the first will be to connect your phone to your computer through your USB cable, and move the file over to the root folder of your internal SD card (phone memory) E:/sdcard/update.zip

the second way is to copy the update.zip file over to your Micro SD card (if you have one that is) and then with the Micro SD card in the phone, use the default 'My Files' file manager to move the update.zip file from the Micro SD card to the root folder phones internal memory E:/sdcard/update.zip

third option, download: from your phone, go to this link tinyurl.com/sorasprettyy (file will automatically download). the file should save to your 'download' folder move it to the root directory of your phone: E:/sdcard/update.zip

this is how it should appear in your phone. note the directory on top is /sdcard/ , if this is not how yours appears, you have placed it in the wrong location, the 'root folder' means no subfolders have been used, (note to self: think of a better way to phrase that..)

now that your update.zip is in the root directory of your phone, turn your phone off.

press volume up, and hold the center 'home' button, press power, and it should take you to 'Android system recovery'

now with your volume keys, press down to scroll to 'apply sdcard:update.zip'.
    hit the center 'home' button to select. the update should start.
    congratulations you have now successfully rooted your phone!

method 2:.. later -__-"...
    ima just post this up now for you, ima go back thru and word it better, spell check, add pics and whatever else
    Last edited by soraxd; 01-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    .____________...___________./l、
    ...add me [= .......____________...(゚、 。 7
    .......h3artlessjerk@hotmail.com .  l、 ~ヽ
    .............._______________............... じしf_, )ノ

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to soraxd For This Useful Post:

aciduzzo (07-16-2010), alferret (07-29-2010), ancrost (10-06-2010), cubicjack (07-25-2010), dk206 (10-06-2010), fredyxxx (01-22-2011), Goots (08-20-2010), HappyH (10-13-2010), JSG10 (07-21-2010), Machpants (07-22-2010), mhasan (12-18-2010), Mister_W00t (08-11-2010), pramface69 (04-27-2011), Simi69 (08-23-2010), steve (07-16-2010), vitinho77 (01-06-2011), vsenku (11-16-2010)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered
    raullugo is on a distinguished road raullugo's Avatar
    Thank you, this is a great guide Soraxd

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Cicinho is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Do we lose all our stuff by doing this?

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    aciduzzo will become famous soon enough
    Level

Thumbs up Fantastic

WOW! Easy peasy lemon squeezy lol
    How simple was that?!
    If I could give heat I would. I managed everything without touching pc. And no loss of data whatsoever!
    Thanks so much soraxd!!

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points
    fredphoesh is on a distinguished road
    Level

Thanks for the tutorial!

Cheers, thanks mate,
    Mark.

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered
    PhoneGeek is on a distinguished road
    If anyone is interested in a video version, check it out: rooting Galaxy S

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10's Avatar
    Level
    Hi Sora,

Can you tell me how to move the file across to the correct folder after downloading it on my phone via your link?

Also, this method of rooting doesn't delete any data does it?

From rooting it can I then go on to use Titanium and back everything up, then use Odin 3 (on vista?!) to flash a custom ROM (eg MoDaCo R2) then restore all my settings and apps via Titanium? Have I got this all in the right order?

Thanks very much.

fake Mọderator
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JSG10 View Post
    Hi Sora,

Can you tell me how to move the file across to the correct folder after downloading it on my phone via your link?

Also, this method of rooting doesn't delete any data does it?

From rooting it can I then go on to use Titanium and back everything up, then use Odin 3 (on vista?!) to flash a custom ROM (eg MoDaCo R2) then restore all my settings and apps via Titanium? Have I got this all in the right order?

Thanks very much.
    wth like 10 questions.. okay uhm, once you dl it on your phone, itll appear in your Download folder on your phone, use the My Files app that comes with the phone, and go into your Download folder, long press the update.zip file, and itll give you some options, click 'move', (by default your phone will show the root directory of your phone as its first location) so just hit "Move here", it will then be in your root directory.

it wont delete any data

yeah you can then use titanum back up

odin3 doesnt work on vista, unless you have vista ultimate, and have added the microsoft plugin for rightclick>properties>compatibilities>run in Windows 7 mode

to use modaco r2 you dont need to use odin, you will get a really really big update.zip folder which will have modaco R2 on it, youll apply it the same way as you do for rooting.

something else you should know.. you need to have JG1 (or i guess 3 or 5) to load modaco r2 correctly

then you can restore all your settings back after, correct

yeah thats the right order

youre welcome very much lol
    .____________...___________./l、
    ...add me [= .......____________...(゚、 。 7
    .......h3artlessjerk@hotmail.com .  l、 ~ヽ
    .............._______________............... じしf_, )ノ

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soraxd For This Useful Post:

JSG10 (07-21-2010), pramface69 (04-27-2011)

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10's Avatar
    Level
    Sora, you're a star Sorry for all the questions! Thank you

I had completely forgotten about the 'My Files' app! LOL ...I'm an idiot.

Looks like I'm not going to be able to flash new firmware then as I won't be able to run it on Vista /cry

Maybe compatibility will be added soon.

Thanks again.

Happy Galaxy S Owner
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    TheLuckys has a spectacular aura about TheLuckys has a spectacular aura about TheLuckys has a spectacular aura about TheLuckys's Avatar
    Level
    I don't know this for sure, but it might just work under Windows Vista.
    As this video shows it runs under Windows XP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzFE8-jWku0
    So why not Vista?

14. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information