GPS just doesn't work properly on Samsung Galaxy S? - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS just doesn't work properly on Samsung Galaxy S?

fake Mọderator
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd's Avatar
    Level
    so then is the problem google maps? or the actual GPS? you think i should dl Sygic GPS too?
    .____________...___________./l、
    ...add me [= .......____________...(゚、 。 7
    .......h3artlessjerk@hotmail.com .  l、 ~ヽ
    .............._______________............... じしf_, )ノ

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    AAA is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I spoke to Samsung Technical support yesterday in the UK, on 0845 672 67864
    They said they didn't have a solution for the GPS woes, but that since the phone was new they would get someone from the dedicated Samsung Galaxy S team to call me back. After missing their (caller withheld number) call this morning I prompted the UK support line again today and was called this afternoon and spoke to someone who I just didn't understand.

The gist of it went like this:

Them: "You have on the phone installed the static GPS, you need to download the dynamic GPS. Go to www.66.com/samsung"
    Me: "On the phone or on the PC?"
    Them: "It doesn't matter. Then click on support and then downloads and then select the GTi 9000"
    Me: "There isn't an option for the GTi-9000" (I then proceeded to read him all the options that were there)
    Them: "Well, it should be there"
    Me: "!??!"
    Them: "I'll send you a link to your email" (email address dictated)

Me: "This looks like it is just navigation software, I have navigation software, GoogleMaps Navigation, the phone just fails to reliably get or hold a GPS lock"
    Them: "Ah, GoogleMaps doesn't use the satellites it just uses the data connection, you need better software, dynamic GPS"
    Me: "No googlemaps, does use GPS"
    Them: "Excuse me sir - I am an IT professional I can tell you the problem is you are not using satellite navigation software"
    Me: "You are wrong, but whatever, send me the link then and let's have a look"
    Them: "I have to end the call first"
    Me: "No, send me the link, then we can check it out while you are still there to advise"
    Them: "I cannot do that, I have to end the call then send the email"
    Me: "you are an IT professional who can't email a link and talk on the phone at the same time?!"
    Them: "Can I help you with anything else.."

I still haven't had the link - but I suspect that it's academic..

Sadly I think this phone must go back to Orange!

AAA

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    I still haven't had the link - but I suspect that it's academic..
    AAA
    I now have been sent the link. It is, wait for it, www.66.com/samsung
    Not at all helpful!

I have phoned orange and asked for a replacement handset, which I hope will come with better software as I really want to keep the phone..

Licking windows
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker's Avatar
    Level
    I'm using Navigon, GPS works well enough for me. A little bit of jumping right after initial satellite lock, and sometimes it takes around a minute for it to get a lock, but after that it's good. Firmware JG1/MoDaCo R2
    Samsung Galaxy S ::: Insanity ROM ::: SanDisk 32GB microSD card

fake Mọderator
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd's Avatar
    Level
    wow epic.. but uhm, since like everyone else on the forum, and in the world is having the same problem with gps.. do you really think itll do any good to replace the phone? so the indian blamed it on google? i heard ppl say other gps programs work better, but i havent tried any other ones.
    .____________...___________./l、
    ...add me [= .......____________...(゚、 。 7
    .......h3artlessjerk@hotmail.com .  l、 ~ヽ
    .............._______________............... じしf_, )ノ

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by soraxd View Post
    wow epic.. but uhm, since like everyone else on the forum, and in the world is having the same problem with gps.. do you really think itll do any good to replace the phone? so the indian blamed it on google? i heard ppl say other gps programs work better, but i havent tried any other ones.
    If it comes with a different firmware, perhaps..
    And If not I guess I may have to reflash and screw the warranty..

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points31 days registered
    sammy is on a distinguished road
    Level
    co pilot is faultless on jg1,ive tried to confuse it with wrong turns but it holds lock and corrects instantly.Google maps works well too (for me at least)

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points3 months registered
    forza2020 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    As an experiment I downloaded "My tracks" from Android Market and tried it out this morning as I walked around the village.
    The results were quite lamentable. It suggested that I had walked all over the place - into peoples' back gardens 50 yards - 100 yards away, into streets which I hadn't ventured into etc. The location arrow kept jumping around all over the place.

I also dowloaded "GPS Test". Standing still in my back garden the accuracy jumps around all the time (from 164 feet to 16 feet) and the number of staellites in view and in use is constantly changing. Never goes above 40% strength.

This ain't good, is it?

Firmware Version 2.1 -update 1.

Baseband version I9000XXJF5

kernel version 2.6.29 root@SE-S603#2

Build - Eclair

Virgin Mobile UK.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser's Avatar
    Level
    All this discussion about the GPS is quite strange to me. I tested it thoroughly for the first time last night and it's way better than my old Iphone 3G ever was at getting a Sat Lock and following me down the street in google maps (I was a passenger in a car so I could watch it as we drove). It was completely faultless.

FYI - I have the original Australian Firmware that came with the phone on release day:

PDA:I9000DTJF3

Phone:I9000DTJF1

CSC: I9000OPSJF1

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by someuser View Post
    All this discussion about the GPS is quite strange to me. I tested it thoroughly for the first time last night and it's way better than my old Iphone 3G ever was at getting a Sat Lock and following me down the street in google maps (I was a passenger in a car so I could watch it as we drove). It was completely faultless.

FYI - I have the original Australian Firmware that came with the phone on release day:

PDA:I9000DTJF3

Phone:I9000DTJF1

CSC: I9000OPSJF1
    I can only guess that in Adelaide the weather conditions are better than in the UK at the moment. Here I have heavy cloud and perhaps that poses more of a challenge for the SGS. (A challenge met by the other phones I tried..) Or there really are some that work and some that don't..

Having re-read soraxd's post, they seem to be unsurprised by the Samsung support team's response - and instead surprised that I bothered to post it up. I was amazed that the person I spoke to (regardless of assumed nationality?) knew so little about the phone? Or even the functioning of googlemaps?

Anyhow it now seems from other posts that JF3 & JF5 have problems and that JG1 might work better, or even JF1 - where are you based Sammy?

AAA

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information