GPS just doesn't work properly on Samsung Galaxy S? - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS just doesn't work properly on Samsung Galaxy S?

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    AAA is on a distinguished road
    Level

GPS just doesn't work properly on Samsung Galaxy S?

Hi,

I have my new Samsung Galaxy S from Orange UK and the GPS features just don't work properly. It's been pretty cloudy the last few days but even so I can get GPS position on my old HTC Touch HD and my firend has no problem with his HTC Desire. The SGS though just will not achieve GPS lock or at least won't maintain lock, when using Google Maps for example.

I have the following settings:

Firmware: 2.1-updtae1
    Baseband: I9000XXJF3
    Kernel: 2.6.29 umts_scm@S1-BUILD05#02

If it can't manage this - it's going back..

Oddly - when I use an app like "GPS TEST" it shows that it is picking up satellites and seeming to work out where I am..

Any one else have these problems, anyhelp would be much appreciated,

AAA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

fake Mọderator
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd has much to be proud of soraxd's Avatar
    Level
    the gps on this phone sucks.. were all hoping for a fix but we dont have one yet
    .____________...___________./l、
    ...add me [= .......____________...(゚、 。 7
    .......h3artlessjerk@hotmail.com .  l、 ~ヽ
    .............._______________............... じしf_, )ノ

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic has much to be proud of tiptronic's Avatar
    Level
    I too having the same problem with GPS while using Co-Pilot in town. It loses the satellite so easy, keeps re-detecting position on nearly every single corner.
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy I9100 Unlocked/ Rooted
    Network: O2 UK
    Baseband version: I9100XXLPQ

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points31 days registered
    sammy is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Co pilot seems fine to me these days,and google maps will lock indoors to within one house or 2. I had a lot of trouble on jf3 but jfb and jg1 have been fine for me. I have yet to drive through anywhere with loads of tall buildings but rainy days and driving through tree cover seems fine.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered250 Experience Points500 Experience Points
    someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser is a jewel in the rough someuser's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Co pilot seems fine to me these days,and google maps will lock indoors to within one house or 2. I had a lot of trouble on jf3 but jfb and jg1 have been fine for me. I have yet to drive through anywhere with loads of tall buildings but rainy days and driving through tree cover seems fine.
    Count me as a user that has no problems with the GPS. It's actually better than my Iphone 3G was but I'm pretty sure it had a hardware fault. I must admit though, I am a GPS device junkie and own 5 GPS units (Garmin Nuvi 250, Garmin Nuvi 500, Garmin GPSMAP 60cx, Tom Tom One XL, GPSMAP 276C) so the phone only gets used for google maps now and then :-D

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    mrlacey is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Yep I'm loses gps quite easily as well

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    jf3? jfb and Jg1? are these all homebrew ROMs or official updates? So you think that you have better response with these?

I went down the homebrew route with my old HTC HD to good effect - but only after I was bored with it and the ROMs 'stabilised' - I don't know that I want to do that yet on my SGS. Especially as I'm still inside the 7 day return period and I'm not sure I can live with this..

I considered buying co-pilot as I figured it might be the SGS interaction with Google's software that is the problem.. But there's no trial version so it would mean a £25 ish investment to potentially find that it doesn't work either..

There was at least one web review that said it worked fine with sat nav but not with Google navigate..

Hmm.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points500 Experience Points31 days registered
    sammy is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    jf3? jfb and Jg1? are these all homebrew ROMs or official updates? So you think that you have better response with these?

I went down the homebrew route with my old HTC HD to good effect - but only after I was bored with it and the ROMs 'stabilised' - I don't know that I want to do that yet on my SGS. Especially as I'm still inside the 7 day return period and I'm not sure I can live with this..

I considered buying co-pilot as I figured it might be the SGS interaction with Google's software that is the problem.. But there's no trial version so it would mean a £25 ish investment to potentially find that it doesn't work either..

There was at least one web review that said it worked fine with sat nav but not with Google navigate..

Hmm.
    These are samsung firmwares not home brews. while the custom roms on galaxy s are good they do nothing to aid gps. It might be a case that all i needed was a factory reset on jf3 but i never tried it and just flashed firmware instead.

Administrator Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs has a brilliant future Briggs's Avatar
    I tested the GPS today driving to work and no issues with Sygic GPS. Lock 100% of the time and 5 bars. All good my side.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 Octacore
    My IP address | LG G2 Forum

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Briggs View Post
    I tested the GPS today driving to work and no issues with Sygic GPS. Lock 100% of the time and 5 bars. All good my side.
    Hi - are you using Jf3 or JF5 firmware? If there is an update to my JF3 firmware that will help - how come Kies tells me there is no update available when I try? Have Orange locked this so it won't update?

Any advice much appreciated..

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information