+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SGS keeps shutting off..

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    rippedcb is on a distinguished road
    Level

SGS keeps shutting off..

Hi All,
    Over the last 3-4 days my phone will randomly shut off. At first i thought it was because it was in my pocket all the time and somehow some buttons were getting pressed, but now i've kept it on my desk for the whole morning and it has shut off on my twice already.. i have to hold the power button for 10seconds for it to start back up. Its happening more and more often as the time goes on.

Stock SGS still running 2.1 and not rooted or anything.. Any ideas guys??

This phone had frozen up on me once when i innitially got it and it wouldn't start up at that time so i had to take it in to get it fixed and they had to replace the whole motherboard. Any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    Sounds like it has a faulty component perhaps ?

I would wait until after the FroYo update which should be in the next few days (official rollout is 11th - 15th Nov in the UK) and if it's still doing it, I think your going to have to take it back to the shop.

I would ask for a replacement rather than a repair.
    Google Nexus 4 Android v4.3 Twitter : @1969guy Circle me on Google+

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Goots View Post
    Sounds like it has a faulty component perhaps ?

I would wait until after the FroYo update which should be in the next few days (official rollout is 11th - 15th Nov in the UK) and if it's still doing it, I think your going to have to take it back to the shop.

I would ask for a replacement rather than a repair.
    I'm in Canada and who knows when we'll be getting FROYO. I've been waiting for months now. As for replacement -- i highly doubt they'd do that. I'll def ask though.. but highly doubt it unfortunately . I hate sending phones in for repair and getting 4yr old loaner phones for weeks.

guess my best option would be to root and put hacked froyo on it and see if that fixes anything

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    This happened on my mums phone, didn't matter what I did it still kept closing down and had to be sent off for repair
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    genman is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Highly unlikely that the shop would change a motherboard....thats more of a Samsung service centre only job.
    Have you tried a ' Hard reset ' ..... just incase there is an app messing you about.... i can't remember the exact procedure but it on here somewhere.

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    Highly unlikely that the shop would change a motherboard....thats more of a Samsung service centre only job.
    Have you tried a ' Hard reset ' ..... just incase there is an app messing you about.... i can't remember the exact procedure but it on here somewhere.
    Yes.. it was sent in to samsung service centre for repairs and thats where they changed the MB. i will try hard reset and see if that helps..

Junior Member dillie_b is on a distinguished road

This is how I fixed it

I am not sure if I just got lucky but this worked for me...I simply unchecked the box under settings > sound and display > power saving mode then just reselected it. I figured it may sorta restart that function and so far my phone hasn't shut off since and it was shutting off about 3 times a day before that. I also uninstalled vlingo which was messing up every time i used it anyways so that may have also fixed it i'm not sure. It hasn't shut off in about 5 days now tho.

Hope this works for everyone!

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dillie_b View Post
    I am not sure if I just got lucky but this worked for me...I simply unchecked the box under settings > sound and display > power saving mode then just reselected it. I figured it may sorta restart that function and so far my phone hasn't shut off since and it was shutting off about 3 times a day before that. I also uninstalled vlingo which was messing up every time i used it anyways so that may have also fixed it i'm not sure. It hasn't shut off in about 5 days now tho.

Hope this works for everyone!
    Thanks for the response.. i also thought it might've had something to do with power saving mode settings so i had actually disabled it but it still kept on shutting off. I just re activated it. I also had wifi on constantly.. just shut that off too so i guess we'll see if that helps :S
    Thanks

Level
    Apparently i'm not the only one having this issue... LOTS of people are having this issue. I think i may have figured out what is causing this: i think its the GPS navigation running in the background (we all know there are tons of issues with this phone and GPS) eventhough you may not be using GPS its still running in the background and you can't see it in the task manager.

1) get advanced task killer (free) and kill all the useless tasks running in the background (including gps navigation)

2)Turn off Wireless Network Positioning
    You can change this option from Settings > Location > Use wireless networks

3) if it still keeps on turning off and you are on a CDMA network:

DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK

1. on the key pad, type *#*#197328640#*#*

2. Select [1] Debug Screen

3. Select [8] Phone control

4. Select [7] Network control

5. Select [2] and selection

6. Select [2] WCDMA band []

7. Select [6] WCDMA 850

Junior Member ericthered is on a distinguished road
    I had posted this same problem on another thread somewhere.
    It has even occurred when I had the phone in flight mode. I thought it might be related to the GPS, but that suggests none of the networking, etc. matters.

I am about to return my phone now. Last week I was depending on the alarm clock to wake me up, and need I say more? :-(

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information