How to install Kies - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to install Kies

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points
    Sanstorm is on a distinguished road
    Level

Guide on how to install Kies Windows Vista/7 PC

Hello Everyone,
    I have noticed lots of people having problems installing Kies and then getting their Phone connected.

If you are running Windows Vista or 7 32bit and 64bit, please try the following;
    Download the latest Kies installer from here: http://in.samsungmobile.com/support/...000&sw_type=SW
    Download and Save the file to your desktop e.g. Kies_1.5.3.10103_100.exe (approx 135MB size)
    You need to ensure you have .Net Framework 3.5 for Windows XP(32/64bit), Vista(32/64bit) to install Samsung Kies.
    If not download here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Install the .Net Framework 3.5 and reboot your PC before you go any further.
    After reboot of your PC, right mouse click downloaded Kies installer file. On the Pop-up menu select 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR', Windows will give you a security prompt select OK.

Allow the install to run fully and simply follow the prompts.
    When install has completed, ensure Kies program is closed and right mouse click the shortcut Kies program icon on your desktop and select properties.
    Now select Shortcut Tab (if not already displayed) and Open File Location button.
    A new window will open with the Kies.exe file selected and highlighted
    Again right mouse click this file and select 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR'.
    Close window and go back to desktop and select Kies shortcut windows will pop-up security prompt select ok.
    Kies will now open after a short pause. Ensure your Phones USB settings are set to Samsung Kies.
    Now connect your phone to PC USB port. After a short while your phone should be detected and connected.
    I hope this helps someone....
    Sanstorm
    Last edited by Sanstorm; 11-06-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Wrong title

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanstorm For This Useful Post:

duk (11-08-2010)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Jim will become famous soon enough Jim will become famous soon enough
    Level
    Followed this guide to the letter today (after spending an hour resetting my forgotten Administrator password!) and unfortunatley I still get stuck on the 'Connecting the device' screen on Kies - while the phone shows 'Connected'. I installed and ran the software as Administrator each time.

I'm on XP Proffesional SP3. I even uninstalled and re-installed the 3.5 Framework, however at 49% through the Kies installation process, my computer was forced to update to .Net framework 4.0 (as part of the Kies install) but I cant see why .net 4.0 would be any worse than 3.5?

Btw, when I open the MSC.Thunder.FirmwareUpdate.exe file, my phone IS detected, however it says 'This device's version cannot be updated'
    Any more ideas?

Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when I click the 'Firmware Upgrade' button in Kies (with phone still attempting to connect' I get the following message appear in a dialog box:

2010-11-06 18:50:05
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException

Stack Trace:
    at MSC.Thunder.MainStage.MainFrame.PopupFirmwareUpdat e(String argument)
    at MSC.Thunder.MainStage.MainFrame.OnWidgetEventCalle d(Object sender, WidgetEventArgs args)
    at MSC.Thunder.UI.Events.WidgetEventHandler.Invoke(Ob ject sender, WidgetEventArgs args)
    at MSC.Thunder.UI.Events.WidgetEventAgent.CallEvent(O bject sender, WidgetEventArgs args)
    at MSC.Thunder.UI.Controls.WidgetIconCtrlVM.PopupThis Widget()
    at MSC.Thunder.UI.Controls.WidgetIconCtrlVM.OnClicked ()
    at MSC.Thunder.UI.Controls.WidgetIconCtrlVM.<get_Clic kCommand>b__0(Object param)
    at MSC.Thunder.UI.Common.RelayCommand.Execute(Object parameter)
    at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecut eCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
    at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnCl ick()
    at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
    at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMo useLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk( Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEv entHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
    at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Deleg ate handler, Object target)
    at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandle r(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Objec t source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(Dependency Object sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEv entHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
    at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Deleg ate handler, Object target)
    at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandle r(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Objec t source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(Dependency Object sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedE ventArgs args)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArg s args, Boolean trusted)
    at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingAr ea()
    at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(Inp utEventArgs input)
    at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput (InputReport inputReport)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Repo rtInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Filt erMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessa ge(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation( Object o)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCat chWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

If that means anything to anyone, that would be great!

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Hi Jim,
    The guide was made with Windows Vista/7 in mind as it uses UAC (User Account Control) and often blocks software installs. In Windows XP you just need to make sure you are logged on with an account that has Administrator privilages and do not need to run the application as Administrator as Windows XP does not use UAC.

It looks to me as if your Windows samsung phone drivers are not installing properly hence the lockup when the Kies software is trying to detect the phone. When you uninstall using the Kies software uninstaller it is possible the corrupt drivers are not being removed properly.

I would try to uninstall the Phone and drivers in Device manager first and then unplug the Phone from the PC, before doing a Kies uninstall and then reboot the system, this way the drivers will be forced to reinstall when you re-run Kies installer.

Does your Kies software freeze when it says connecting or does the connection indicator keep moving as if it is searching still?

Cheers
    Sanstorm

Junior Member duk is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Thanks Sanstorm, this solved my Froyo upgrade woes!

In case it helps anyone else - I'm in the UK, my phone is from Carphone Warehouse (on Vodafone) and I had the stock JF3 firmware. My phone has never been rooted or manually upgraded (I was patiently waiting for the official Froyo release).

Anyway, I installed the latest Kies from samsung.co.uk (Kies_1.5.3.10103_100.exe) on a Vista Business SP2 (32 bit) laptop. Then I tried and failed many times to upgrade to JPO. Kies would download and unpack the firmware fine, the phone would display the little "Android Man Digging" icon, then Kies error with 'Failed to convert to upgrade mode'. Removing the battery would bring the phone back with JF3.

Following your instructions above, the upgrade went perfectly first time

Cheers!

Achievements:
    Level
    Sanstorm, you are right about the drivers. I unistalled the current drivers from device manager. Then unistalled Kies. Then uninstalled the USB drivers left behind in the Samsung install folder (where Kies also was). I then did a registry clean, restarted, and then installed Kies into a new Hard-drive partition just in case.
    After the Kies re-install, I closed Kies, then plugged in my phone and waited. After a minute or so the following message showed up:

Do you have any ideas to get round this? Any idea if there is a version of this driver better suited to XP Professional SP3? Any help would be great.

EDIT: FINALLY I have connected with Kies and performed a sync! All I had to do in the end was Unmount the internal SD card, and it connected straight away. I read it has something to do with having too many .mp3 files stored on the SD card... which I probably have.
    Anyway, finally fixed
    Last edited by Jim; 11-09-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Problem Fixed

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Sanstorm, you are right about the drivers. I unistalled the current drivers from device manager. Then unistalled Kies. Then uninstalled the USB drivers left behind in the Samsung install folder (where Kies also was). I then did a registry clean, restarted, and then installed Kies into a new Hard-drive partition just in case.
    After the Kies re-install, I closed Kies, then plugged in my phone and waited. After a minute or so the following message showed up:

Do you have any ideas to get round this? Any idea if there is a version of this driver better suited to XP Professional SP3? Any help would be great.

EDIT: FINALLY I have connected with Kies and performed a sync! All I had to do in the end was Unmount the internal SD card, and it connected straight away. I read it has something to do with having too many .mp3 files stored on the SD card... which I probably have.
    Anyway, finally fixed
    Hi Jim
    That is really great news you finally got it sorted, well done mate, and welcome to Froyo!
    Regards
    Sanstorm

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    amandiocastro is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hello Everyone

I am trying to install kies in a pc with the windows 7 64 bits. I do have the Microsoft .NET framework 3.5.1 activated.

I tried to install kies (executing the instalation as administrator and in the administrator account) and the installation runs swiftly. After the instalation i always get the message "Some files are corrupted. If the problem persists reinstall the program"

Any idea about how to solve this problem?

Thanks for your time in advanced

Amândio

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Have you tried re-downloading the program, removing kies, then re-installing
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    amandiocastro is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Yes, I've tried that several times!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast