Black screen when making a call - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black screen when making a call

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered
    Jennyo is on a distinguished road
    Level

Unhappy Black screen when making a call

I am increasingly having a problem with a black screen when I make a call making it difficult to get back to the screen if I need to use the keypad for selections or even to access the "end call" button. The phone is also locking so once I get a screen back, I have a nano second to unlock and get back to the call screen to end a call. Is this a setting or a problem with the phone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    extremekhaos has a spectacular aura about extremekhaos has a spectacular aura about extremekhaos's Avatar
    Level
    This is a feature. LOL. Maybe your firmware is faulty but the screen locks because of the proximity sensor. Do you have a screen protector that is covering the sensor (beside the earpiece to the left). Usually when u put it away from your head - it should open up the options back allowing you to press dialer keys, add another caller, end calls.

Try:
    - update firmware
    - clean/remove screen protector
    - if ur phone is faulty, get an exchange?
    - and for some versions, power key ends calls
    Galaxy S | I9000XXJPU | Hardcore's K10K

This is not a feature or the proximity sensor. I am having this issue too. The phone goes completely black once a call is activated. You cannot bring the screen back by pushing ANY buttons, only by the person on the other line hanging up. It's super awful when you call someone and they don't pick up and you either go to their answering machine and have to wait for it to deactivate or if they don't have an answering machine then you can't do anything.

This seems to be a new problem popping up on several different forums. Seems like a bunch are starting to do this since around the beginning of December. My phone just started doing this last weekend. I've had my phone for 4 months and have never had this issue before. I've reset my phone and cleaned it. I have not yet called Sprint. I'm looking for another solution first .

Edit: I was talking to a friend and was told that it could in fact be the proximity sensor. It didn't make sense to me that it would be such a thing. Sorry!
    Last edited by zombierocket; 12-15-2010 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Incorrect information.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    I think I have solved the problem I was having, may be a fluke though.

I did connect the phone back up to the computer to see if any updates but it said none.

However, I think some of the problem related to the case I have on the phone which has a magnetic catch which flips over to lock the case. This catch is roughly over the sensor so if I am on the phone and the catch flops down, the sensor thinks the phone is closed and goes black and locks. Provided that I hold the flap back when I'm on the call, I haven't had a problem since. This could also be because the catch is magnetic perhaps.

I have no idea whether this is/was the problem, but I don't have the problem at the moment after being so frustrated with the phone I was ready to take it back.

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    AnitaRp is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi all

I am finding this very interesting reading as I have also, for the last two days, been getting a black screen when I take a call. I am unable to access the buttons during or after the call. To get back to my home screen, I need to either reboot the phone or take the battery out...
    Where is the sensor button you are talking about...(Excuse my ignorance. I have had this phone for less than a week)

Achievements:
    Level
    I haven't had a problem with mine since I sorted the cover out. The sensor is at the top left of the camera, look like two pin pricks, there are two, far left is Proximity sensor and next one is the light sensor

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    fracl is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I just got my galaxy s11 and having the same problem. I have a case and screen protector but made sure it didn't cover the sensors. my gf got the same phone same time as me no case no screen protector same problem. has anyone found a fix to this problem yet?

thanks

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    The Bairn is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Problem solved. I had exactly the same problem until I removed the case I had put on my Galaxy S2. It is one of those cases with a hard plastic shell type back enclosing a soft silicone liner, leaving the screen open. Although the proximity sensor (next to the ear speaker on the front) looked to be unobstructed when the case was on it, the case must have been closer than it should be. I put the Samsung brand flip front, open back case back on my phone and the proximity sensor does its job perfectly again. So try your case before you try other solutions, it might work.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    Just for everyone's information, the whole point of having that sensor there, is so the phone knows to turn the screen off when you are using it, so you don't accidentally use the side of your face/ear to press anything on the touchscreen. Of course if the sensor is faulty (or is covered by a poorly fitting case) then the phone thinks it's still being held to the side of your head, and thus keeps the screen turned off.

To test this, make a call, then put your finger over the sensor, the screen should turn off, but then when you remove your finger it should turn on again, there is a delay of about half a second. You can do this as many times as you like.
    Google Nexus 4 Android v4.3 Twitter : @1969guy Circle me on Google+

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 646
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Goots View Post
    To test this, make a call, then put your finger over the sensor, the screen should turn off, but then when you remove your finger it should turn on again, there is a delay of about half a second. You can do this as many times as you like.
    Or till the other person hangs up because your not talking
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information