USB connection not recognized by computer - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: USB connection not recognized by computer

USB connection not recognized by computer

When I first plugged the phone into the computer I got a "new exquipment found" install box on the screen. I hadn't read the booklet (my bad) and didn't know I was supposed to mount it first so I agreed to install.

The "install" failed, and it defaulted to "never ask about this thing again" before I closed the window.

The phone does not show up on my list of drives, either with or without mounting. I have tried using different usb ports, but it never opens a dialog window like I get with memory sticks. I suspect I need to undo the "never ask about this thing again", but I don't know where to look for it.

I am running Windows XP on an HP computer. Any idea how I can get a do-over?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    This might work, I'm just guessing but it's worth a try.

First go to the phone's USB settings and select "Ask on connection", then go back to the home screen.

Now make sure Kies isn't running (also kill the daemon that sits in the tray by the clock) and plug the phone into the computer and when the phone asks what you want it to do, select Samsung Kies.

Now open your control panel and go to system > device manager. You should be able to see the phone there, whether it's working or not. If there is a problem it will have a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Whatever, you need to completely uninstall/remove that hardware.

If the phone wasn't shown on the list (it might be called "Unknown USB or MTP device") then go back to step 1 and choose "Mass Storage" or "Media Player" when asked.

After you have completely removed the device from that list, reboot your PC.

Now when you plug the phone in again, it *should* install the right drivers.

If the above doesn't work, but you can see the device in the list, you can force it to use different drivers by right-clicking on it, then selecting properties, then update drivers.

You can get the drivers from HERE (64 bit) and HERE (32 bit). Make sure you get the right set of drivers for your version of XP.

This is all from memory of WinXP so might not be totally accurate.
    Google Nexus 4 Android v4.3 Twitter : @1969guy Circle me on Google+

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    omarshah29 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hie there Goots. thank you for your share. did help me a little bit. okay now here's the scenario. please help me with this -

Windows 7, 64 bit, everythings working fine with my galaxy s but all of a sudden i get this USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED ERROR.. now heres what i did -

1. followed your steps above.
    2. didnt work so uninstalled the driver from control panel. downloaded the new one for 64 bit and installed it
    3 tried connecting my phone again. but didnt work.. same problem. Code 43

please help.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz is a splendid one to behold Pidz's Avatar
    Level
    Hey dude,

try this;

CLICK HERE

Uninstal all unrecognised drivers again, then install the .exe, reconnect phone, may work.
    Hacked; Xbox 360, PSP, PS2/3, Nintendo DS/Wii, ZTE Blade, Motorola Xoom, Sony Xperia, Viewsonic M900S, HTC Desire/Desire HD/Sensation, Samsung Galaxy SI/SII/SIII

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points
    raminazad is on a distinguished road
    Level
    hi dude
    i have exactly 100 percent similar of your problem. code43?

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    alexskan is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi Goots,
    just followed your instructions but nothing..still trying to connect on my laptop running WinXp (32bit). nothing ..it doens't recognize the device, no phone on the list but just an "unknown device" under the generic USB hub.
    If you could advice on what exactly is the chipset family for my galaxy S GT-i9000 reported int the USB driver installation directory (C:\Program Files\Samsung\USB Drivers\XX_chipset family) I'd try to force the manual installation of that unknown usb device and/or pleae propose an alternative..
    Looking forward for your advice
    Cheers
    Attached Images  

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered100 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    alexskan is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Forget about it, I changed cable and realized the previous brand new chinese was not a compatible one..

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    Yeah sorry I didn't reply, I'm on holiday in Tenerife right now so can't exactly get to my PC

Glad to see other people on here continued with the suggestion though

Seems you sorted it out yourself anyway
    Google Nexus 4 Android v4.3 Twitter : @1969guy Circle me on Google+

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered100 Experience Points3 months registered250 Experience Points
    westy is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Hi guys, similar problem.

Phone works fine in mass storage mode but when I put it into download mode, it comes up with 'usb device cannot be recognized' error.

Now I've tried reinstalling drivers, Kies, PC Studio but nothing is seeming to work.

I'm on Windows XP and Galnet Mui Rom if that's of any use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed has a brilliant future Doomed's Avatar
    Level
    Why do want it in download mode?

To see if it's working, open up odin, add some firmware files to it, connect your phone and see if it gets seen. Also Start should also be highlighted
    Arch Linux, with Enlightenment 17
    SGS TripleEye (White) Firmware: Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2.2) - Rooted

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information