How many free memory(RAM) is there on your SGS - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many free memory(RAM) is there on your SGS

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    ihy2000 is on a distinguished road
    Level

Question How many free memory(RAM) is there on your SGS

I was wondering how many free ram is there on other galaxy s phones, i use 202mb out of 326mb though i don't have any running apps even in the background. i know that Os/live wallpapers..etc takes some memory but what else?

Thanks
    murad

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Dazed & Confused BalloonaticFanatic is on a distinguished road BalloonaticFanatic's Avatar
    186/326 .... it's just gone up to 202/326 though even though I turned off all apps. I guess widgets gobble up RAM.

any apps out there that can free up some RAM space?

Licking windows
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker is a glorious beacon of light windowlicker's Avatar
    Level
    Why do you need the RAM? Android caches big parts of the RAM. Caching is good.

Say you quit Mail. You then remember you forget that one last email, so you launch it again. Instead of the system instantly marking memory as freed when an app closes (that takes time), then having to load it all in from the disk again (takes more time), most of what Mail needs is already in memory (cached or inactive RAM, call it what you will...), so it just maps to it again. This results in a much faster launch.

If you keep force-freeing RAM, system performance will most likely just decrease. Isn't it better to let Android reserve RAM for things like Mail, the keyboard module, the messaging interface, dialer, contacts app, browser, and so on? If you aggressively free up RAM, it means the system has to work hard re-assigning RAM to for example the keyboard the next time you want to use it. Resulting in lag. Next, you want to surf the web. It has to re-assign RAM to the browser, resulting in a slow and choppy launch. An hour later, you free up RAM again and then wonder why the contacts app won't load instantly. Then you want to write an SMS and since you just force-freed RAM, it has to assign some to the keyboard AGAIN although it just did it an hour ago.

Also, as one makes the system work harder, battery life decreases.

As the battery life decreases, the user slowly goes insane.

So when the men in white coats come to take you away, your last thought will be: "Why did I just not trust Android and its memory management?"
    Samsung Galaxy S ::: Insanity ROM ::: SanDisk 32GB microSD card

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Loba is on a distinguished road
    Level
    but then again, if the app is written poorly, letting it run in the background kills the batt too so....devil or the deep blue sea?

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    ihy2000 is on a distinguished road
    Level
    windowlicker you have a good point here.

As for freeing ram app, i've tried the samsung task manager(samsung app store), after installing ..a new tab appeared with the option to free ram phase1 and 2, when i freed level1 ihad extra 35 bm of ram but in no time it was back to 190/200(by the why the tab disappeared after rebooting as mention somewhere here in a recent thread).

Regarding the cache, should i worry of the cache taking space over time? i free the internet cache/google maps and market's..is there anything else that i can do to keep my system healthy over time taking in consideration that i do alot of installing/installing (new phone )? i've noticed that after uninstalling doom(the game) it left alot of sound file on my phones memory!! i am afraid that this is the case with other apps

Thanks,

7. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information