+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: unable to obtain IP address!!

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered
    Dan705 is on a distinguished road

Question unable to obtain IP address!!

Hi!

I have had my new Galaxy S for 4 days now and have been able to connect to Wifi in various locations but it will not connect to my wireless router at home. It gets as far as attempting to obtain the IP address, tries for a while and then says connection unsuccessful. I'm using a Lynksys Wireless-G Broadband router with WPA enabled. The pass key is not the issue as it is definately correct.

I also got a Galaxy S for my wife and we are having the same problem with both handsets.

Please help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10's Avatar
    Level
    Try changing the security on your router and see if that works.
    Have you actually got wifi enabled on the router? You will need to log into the router on IE (192.168.0.1) and check your wifi settings.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures250 Experience Points
    Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski's Avatar
    Level
    restart the router, make absolutely sure you got the password right.

Senior Member systemX is a jewel in the rough systemX is a jewel in the rough systemX is a jewel in the rough
    Do you know if your router is using static or dynamic ip address?

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10 is just really nice JSG10's Avatar
    Level
    Shouldn't make much difference. The phone connects to the router and will automatically adjust/aquire IP as required once connected. It sounds like a security problem or not having wifi set up properly.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures250 Experience Points
    Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski has a spectacular aura about Piterski's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JSG10 View Post
    Shouldn't make much difference. The phone connects to the router and will automatically adjust/aquire IP as required once connected
    Of course it makes a difference, there are no phones that will detect necessary static IP, stop making fuss, man

Senior Member systemX is a jewel in the rough systemX is a jewel in the rough systemX is a jewel in the rough
    Shouldn't make much difference. The phone connects to the router and will automatically adjust/aquire IP as required once connected. It sounds like a security problem or not having wifi set up properly.
    It'll definitely automatically if the router has DHCP enabled hehe.

Junior Member dmariolan is on a distinguished road
    Did you happen to restrict access to your router by means of MAC address? I noticed this sometimes creates problem when connecting device other than PC.

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0%
    John Eva is on a distinguished road
    Level
    I had the same problem with my router at work but just set the phone to have a static IP in the advanced settings.

Settings - Wireless & network - WIFI Settings - use left touch screen button to bring up more options and select advanced.

Then change to static IP and add details you want to use.

Mine connected on next attempt, I think it depends how your router has been setup to wether you get this problem as my phone connected to my router at home first time no problem.
    Last edited by John Eva; 09-07-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots has a reputation beyond repute Goots's Avatar
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Piterski View Post
    Of course it makes a difference, there are no phones that will detect necessary static IP, stop making fuss, man
    It certainly won't make a difference! (As long as DHCP is enabled on the router.) I think you are mixing up the Local Area Network with the Wide Area Network side of the router.

A router can have a static IP itself, but still dish out local IP addresses via DHCP. In fact, it won't make any difference at all whether the router itself is using a static or a dynamic IP address.
    Google Nexus 4 Android v4.3 Twitter : @1969guy Circle me on Google+

12. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information